UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Level that instructor gets to be called 'Master'?

2/1/13 12:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shen
767 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GIBB0 -  I'd have no problem calling my instructor "master" if he has a red belt. Out of respect.

Not in a "he's my master" way. More so the same way of call a doctor "doctor". They earned the level of master, as in the are a master of bjj, but it would be weird if they enforced it strictly, especially outside class.

I get the feeling some schools call the instructor "master" implying they are the master of the class. That's a little weird and creates a strange vibe, in my opinion. Phone Post

A doctor is still a doctor even when he's out having a beer and a minister is still a minister when he's out bowling. So too a Master/Grandmaster is still a Master/Grandmaster when they are down at the local Jiffy Lube.

Like I said, I DO NOT CARE what students call me, BUT it reveals an unsavory personality when a student is unwilling to do something so simple as call you by your title. It's a big warning sign for me.

Sure, it's annoying sometimes to have to constantly remind people who are NOT in the martial arts (dog groomer, pizza delivery guy) to refer to me by my preferred title, but when a STUDENT won't do it, well then you know there is DEFINITELY something wrong with him. So, I use it in large part as a barometer of student character.

Again, it's just a simple title, people shouldn't freak out about it.

GM. Shen

2/1/13 1:36 AM
GIBB0
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen -
GIBB0 -  I'd have no problem calling my instructor "master" if he has a red belt. Out of respect.

Not in a "he's my master" way. More so the same way of call a doctor "doctor". They earned the level of master, as in the are a master of bjj, but it would be weird if they enforced it strictly, especially outside class.

I get the feeling some schools call the instructor "master" implying they are the master of the class. That's a little weird and creates a strange vibe, in my opinion. Phone Post

A doctor is still a doctor even when he's out having a beer and a minister is still a minister when he's out bowling. So too a Master/Grandmaster is still a Master/Grandmaster when they are down at the local Jiffy Lube.

Like I said, I DO NOT CARE what students call me, BUT it reveals an unsavory personality when a student is unwilling to do something so simple as call you by your title. It's a big warning sign for me.

Sure, it's annoying sometimes to have to constantly remind people who are NOT in the martial arts (dog groomer, pizza delivery guy) to refer to me by my preferred title, but when a STUDENT won't do it, well then you know there is DEFINITELY something wrong with him. So, I use it in large part as a barometer of student character.

Again, it's just a simple title, people shouldn't freak out about it.

GM. Shen

My deepest apologies, Grand Master.

You have taught me a valuable lesson. Phone Post
2/1/13 5:59 PM
TeixeiraLoveCrimedMyHole
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get into pretending to be a samurai from feudal japan. Phone Post
2/1/13 5:59 PM
htownbjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know it's a tangent, but Palhares was definitely not cool in that match with David Avellan.

Especially after the ref stopped them out of bounds, put his hands on Palhares, and Palhares paused then cranked it again (sequence starts at 2:00). He should have been DQ'd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FohRibjEbgI

I think their post-match video was pretty fair and it wasn't whining, they had a legitimate complaint. I might have been saying a lot harsher things.
2/1/13 10:51 PM
GrahamJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's 97% loser talk.
A 3%er never looks for excuses: he wins.
2/3/13 3:01 AM
Eazy08
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Reactor -  You have to be granted the title from the Jedi Council Phone Post

lol
2/3/13 12:39 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never. Sir, yes. Mr., sure. Professor, absolutely. No one is my fucking master, and if you understand learning, no one ever is a master.
2/3/13 8:24 PM
kilemark
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always think of "The Last Dragon"

Sho'nuff: Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!" Phone Post
2/3/13 9:45 PM
shen
767 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/03/13 11:24 PM

It should be obvious to all of us, but the term "Master" of course does not actually exist in traditional Asian Martial Arts. It is, as we all know, an English word. What it signifies in relation to Martial arts is not especially clear.

In Japanese Martial arts, we know, "Sensei" (teacher/ one who was born before you) is the most commonly used term –regardless of rank. It is a term for OTHERS to call you. You don't call yourself "Sensei" sort of like you don't introduce yourself to others as "daddy". There are other, formal titles like “Renshi”, “Kiyoshi”, “Hanshi” & “Shihan” which are generally teaching licenses/ formal titles separate from, but related to, your rank or experience teaching. A Hanshi or Shihan usually is a “teacher of teachers”. Some styles use some of these terms while some styles use others. (There is also the older Menkyo/Kaiden system, too). But, regardless of titles, these instructors are usually referred to simply as “Sensei” by their students. (However, when non-Japanese get a hold of these terms, they can be applied in all sorts of weird ways.)

In Chinese Martial Arts, which are based on a familial organizational structure, "Sifu" or "Shifu" (teacher /father) is the term used. The same term can be used outside of a martial arts context as well. In some cases, use of the term "Laoshi" (teacher who is very learned/ tutor/ sir) might be used instead of "Sifu"/"Shifu".

The English word “Master” is confusing due to its connotations; people don't know it if means you are a "Master to the students", "a Master of the art", or "a Master Instructor". But, no matter how you define the term, using "Master" in relation to one's SELF as a formal tile as in "Master________" is a break with traditional martial arts protocol, not an embrace of it.
2/3/13 11:25 PM
YPO
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess Black belt is Professor, Red/Black belt is Master, and Red belt is Grandmaster. Since I was a kid I've always called Relson by his first name as with most instructors, I've called Carlson by his first name but sometimes Master or Mestre and even called Helio "Profesor" when calling him or asking him something. I always showed respect and they never were too serious about titles. Some call me Professor but I prefer them calling me by my first name. Some even say Mestre as teacher. I don't take it too serious.
2/4/13 11:27 AM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had the privilege to take seminars and train with Rickson and Relson, Carlos Machado, Jacare Cavalcanti and Ricardo de la Riva. Never has anyone asked to be called anything. Most people used first names.

The only person who ever asked me to refer to them as master was a twenty-something tae kwon do instructor. I was working for a newspaper and we were doing a story on her. She insisted that master be used as part of her name. Needless to say, no one honored that request at the paper.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.