UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Chandler to train with Jon Jones at Jackson's

1/31/13 10:52 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Even after a standout rookie season with the New England Patriots, Chandler Jones knows he can improve, and is taking lessons from an older brother to do so.

Oldest brother Arthur Jones is a defensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens, on his first trip to the Super Bowl. But even with Arthur’s wealth of knowledge and experience in the NFL, it’s actually Chandler’s other brother, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones, 25, who he plans to learn from this offseason.

“I’m headed to Albuquerque, New Mexico to do some MMA training. We’re going to do some conditioning down there,” said Chandler in a recent interview.

The youngest Jones, just 22 years old, believes that the MMA training will actually help him become more agile against blockers and just a better pass rusher overall.

“That definitely helps you,” Jones said. “Jon has a boxing coach, a muay thai coach and a jiu jitsu coach. That helps a lot when you’re tugging, playing in the trenches. My biggest thing is I try to get my hands inside before blockers touch me so if I work on my hand speed, that’ll be a great aspect to add to my game.”

Even with an impressive first season, Jones can’t be happy to watch the Super Bowl from the sidelines this week, and he’ll undoubtedly be using his brother’s assistance to be on the field for the game at this time next year.

Read entire article...

1/31/13 10:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully he works on toughness. If Chandler even hit the ground too hard this year he got hurt
1/31/13 11:12 AM
murr25
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chandler had had a bad ankle since h.s and definitely needs to be cautious about that, he was on my hs football.team and in my grade since 6th grade, i really think hell adapt.well to mma minus the fact that he's not really mean! Nicest dude ever! Phone Post
1/31/13 11:16 AM
Nexuscrawlers
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

am i the only one who thought this was going to be about Michael Chandler?

1/31/13 11:18 AM
rkilla
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/13 11:18 AM
Nexuscrawlers - 

Not at all sir.

On that note, it must be bad ass to be a professional athlete with siblings who are also professional atheletes.

1/31/13 11:20 AM
knuckleballs

As a patriot fan, i just want to say, don't get hurt, Chandler!
1/31/13 12:22 PM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to Jacksons.

Get help with tugging.

1/31/13 12:23 PM
Chris27

Nexuscrawlers - 

Thats what I thought.
1/31/13 12:24 PM
Lefthook33
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 -
Nexuscrawlers - 

Thats what I thought.
Me three Phone Post
1/31/13 12:25 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Chandler lol yep.

It'd be amazing if his brother opted to quit making the big money and switched sports.

1/31/13 12:25 PM
hubris
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so he's going to Jackson's to learn how to be really boring
1/31/13 12:26 PM
aka_rtotheoh

perfect camp to practice running. Phone Post
1/31/13 12:34 PM
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

murr25 -  Chandler had had a bad ankle since h.s and definitely needs to be cautious about that, he was on my hs football.team and in my grade since 6th grade, i really think hell adapt.well to mma minus the fact that he's not really mean! Nicest dude ever! Phone Post

With all do respect I am 100% positive that if he would have had any lingering injuries, or things that could potentially be a problem they would have found it at the combine. They spend HOURS going over your entire medical history, and I mean they cover EVERYTHING.

That's awesome you played with him though. Did he play offense in HS as well? I bet the kid was a freak on the field.
1/31/13 12:35 PM
hubris
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aka_rtotheoh -  perfect camp to practice running. Phone Post

and jumping up and down

twitching too
1/31/13 12:41 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lefthook33 - 
Chris27 -
Nexuscrawlers - 

Thats what I thought.
Me three Phone Post

1/31/13 12:43 PM
naughtiidawg liver kicked my SN
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
Lefthook33 - 
Chris27 -
Nexuscrawlers - 

Thats what I thought.
Me three Phone Post

5 Phone Post
1/31/13 2:13 PM
danggook

yellow c0ckahlc -

It'd be amazing if his brother opted to quit making the big money and switched sports.

I would say the ceiling for Jon is much higher than his brothers, DE in the nfl is going to make a few mill a season tops while Jon can pull down several mill a fight what with ppv cuts. And then there is all those lucrative sponsorships/endorsements that art and chandler are likely never going to see.

Would be one thing if they were qb's or something. Phone Post
1/31/13 2:25 PM
quality

I wonder how much it would cost to breed with someone from the Jones family?
1/31/13 2:54 PM
danggook

danggook -
yellow c0ckahlc -

I would say the ceiling for Jon is much higher than his brothers, DE in the nfl is going to make a few mill a season tops while Jon can pull down several mill a fight what with ppv cuts. And then there is all those lucrative sponsorships/endorsements that art and chandler are likely never going to see.

Arthur pulled down 540k for this season, chandler is making between 1.1 and 1.5 mill a season but he got a 4.3 mill signing bonus on top of that Phone Post
1/31/13 4:24 PM
murr25

303 -
murr25 -  Chandler had had a bad ankle since h.s and definitely needs to be cautious about that, he was on my hs football.team and in my grade since 6th grade, i really think hell adapt.well to mma minus the fact that he's not really mean! Nicest dude ever! Phone Post

With all do respect I am 100% positive that if he would have had any lingering injuries, or things that could potentially be a problem they would have found it at the combine. They spend HOURS going over your entire medical history, and I mean they cover EVERYTHING.

That's awesome you played with him though. Did he play offense in HS as well? I bet the kid was a freak on the field.
He was primarily our t.e BC of his size..was always the best on the field, his defense was good too if we had to.guess wed guess he was going to go for t.e Phone Post
1/31/13 4:26 PM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BIIING

1/31/13 4:49 PM
danggook

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
danggook - 
yellow c0ckahlc -

The problem with MMA is when you lose that belt, you're no longer headlining and making PPV $$.  NFL players are on a contract so as long as they're with the team, the'll be making that.  Regarding the ceiling, Peppers made over $15M last year not including endorsements, Jared Allen made over $12M not including endorsements, Freeney over $12M, etc..  The money is there if  you're a top guy and 3 of the top 20 salaries in the NFL are DE's and about half are lineman.

Well, nfl plays are subject to being cut due to lack of performance as well, although they do have the option of signing with a different team, if one is interested Phone Post
1/31/13 4:53 PM
Rudi

Nexuscrawlers -

I did too until i read your post. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.