UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Reyson Gracie interview for RedBelts doc

1/31/13 11:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hywel Teague
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We did a 2 hour+ interview on Monday with Reyson Gracie for the Red Belts of BJJ documentary. We've met with him a number of times but this was the first time we've managed to get him to sit down in front of the camera, and it was awesome. He was full of VERY interesting stories.

70 year old Reyson is the third son of BJJ founder Carlos Gracie, but he described how he was actually trained and even raised by Helio. ("He was evena father to me")

Check out this short clip from the interview, and read a short bio at the Red Belts website
1/31/13 11:29 AM
Hywel Teague
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/31/13 11:32 AM
Hywel Teague

A list of the Red Belt Grand Masters of BJJ featured in the film (with bios and vid clips) 

The list is not final as there are a few GMs we are still to get on camera. 

1/31/13 11:32 AM
ChokeTheFace
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VU for your awesome work man. Phone Post
1/31/13 7:14 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be there with bomb.
1/31/13 9:04 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool. Thank you.

Here we have Carlos' own son providing some interesting information. Think whatever you want about the way Rorion introduced the art in the U.S., but the bottom line is I never heard anyone really mention Carlos Gracie until Helio passed away.
1/31/13 11:57 PM
redwhiteandblues
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
2/1/13 12:28 AM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So psyched for this!!! Phone Post
2/1/13 2:18 AM
Team Python
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is one Gracie that is rarely mentioned
2/1/13 4:52 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mat Pimp - I'll be there with bomb.

THIS!

And Hywel is doing something truly EPIC here.
2/1/13 10:39 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mat Pimp - I'll be there with bomb.

Yes!!!
2/1/13 10:51 AM
Hywel Teague

John Frankl - Very cool. Thank you.

Here we have Carlos' own son providing some interesting information. Think whatever you want about the way Rorion introduced the art in the U.S., but the bottom line is I never heard anyone really mention Carlos Gracie until Helio passed away.

I can't say too much right now as we obv want to save it for the film but the layers we have peeled back and the history we have uncovered is just truly fascinating

There is a LOT more to the history of JJ than we've been told
2/1/13 11:29 AM
LCSULLA
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does Renato Paquet quilify? If so, are you going interview him?
2/1/13 11:50 AM
Hywel Teague

LCSULLA - Does Renato Paquet quilify? If so, are you going interview him?

We've met with him a number of times, yet to get him on camera
2/1/13 12:06 PM
Daniel/CGJJ
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel, have to also gotten a hold of some of the red belts from the Fadda lineage? Like Amélio Arruda from Oriente Jiu Jitsu, or people from the lineage of Monir Salomao?
2/1/13 6:55 PM
biggator
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow cant wait
2/2/13 10:49 AM
Hywel Teague

Click for FREE (always) BJJ vids
Daniel/CGJJ - Hywel, have to also gotten a hold of some of the red belts from the Fadda lineage? Like Amélio Arruda from Oriente Jiu Jitsu, or people from the lineage of Monir Salomao?

The biggest problem we have is cross referencing their stories with others, as there are a few gents out there who have made some claims that we've disproved with research.

The few Fadda guys we've ben turned on to are kind of isolated, and nobody can really back their stories up. I'm not saying they're not credible, but for this film we only want to present facts we can verify, or that are corroborated by others.

I think the Fadda stuff *may* have to wait for another project.
2/2/13 6:31 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah man there are SO MANY stories yet to be told...the Fadda lineage, the Os Herois do Ringue legends, the rise of the Carlson Grace team, Conte Koma, Sergio de Niteroi, etc.
2/3/13 12:09 AM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the timeline for release on this?
2/4/13 5:15 AM
Daniel/CGJJ

Hywel Teague - 
Daniel/CGJJ - Hywel, have to also gotten a hold of some of the red belts from the Fadda lineage? Like Amélio Arruda from Oriente Jiu Jitsu, or people from the lineage of Monir Salomao?

The biggest problem we have is cross referencing their stories with others, as there are a few gents out there who have made some claims that we've disproved with research.

The few Fadda guys we've ben turned on to are kind of isolated, and nobody can really back their stories up. I'm not saying they're not credible, but for this film we only want to present facts we can verify, or that are corroborated by others.

I think the Fadda stuff *may* have to wait for another project.

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this man.

I understand your point about wanting to back up those stories, but it might also be cool to have some dissident voices in that docu.

Hopefully there's room for that in a future doc, with a broader focus on the vale tudo side of things too. Euclides Pereira, Ivan Gomes and the whole Fadda, Luis Franca side of the story.

2/4/13 8:08 AM
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague - 
John Frankl - Very cool. Thank you.

I can't say too much right now as we obv want to save it for the film but the layers we have peeled back and the history we have uncovered is just truly fascinating

There is a LOT more to the history of JJ than we've been told

reyson said what i was told.i listen to the oldman tell many stories.when its all said and done,his version seems to surface to the top

2/4/13 9:20 AM
CarolinaSMB_CR
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very nice!
2/4/13 10:20 AM
mario77
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome stuff! Please let us know how we can support the project.. Phone Post
2/4/13 10:57 AM
Hywel Teague

Click for FREE (always) BJJ vids
Right now we're deep in production so it's kind of hard to give a definite release date. Like I said, it keeps getting deeper and more complex, plus working to everyone's schedules is a nightmare.

I would love to do a follow up investigating the Fadda lineage, or a look at old school vale tudo, but that would require extensive travelling around Brazil and substantially more funding that we raised for this project. Who knows, once this is done maybe we'll look into it :)
2/4/13 11:01 AM
Hywel Teague

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
mario77 -  Awesome stuff! Please let us know how we can support the project.. Phone Post

Thanks Mario but the project is fully funded and underway. All we need is people to help spread the word

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.