UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> What are your warm ups like?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/31/13 11:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just trying to get an idea of how each school's warm ups differ.

Also, what are your thoughts on brutal warm ups vs more lax'd warm ups but more time to train/live sparring? Phone Post
1/31/13 11:56 AM
k1levelstriking
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think brutal warmups should be saved for competition classes, because I do find it's hard to learn properly when you're gassed out. Our school usually does a couple laps around the gym, and then two lines for rolls, bearwalks, hip escapes etc across the gym. Phone Post
1/31/13 12:03 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

k1levelstriking - I think brutal warmups should be saved for competition classes, because I do find it's hard to learn properly when you're gassed out. Our school usually does a couple laps around the gym, and then two lines for rolls, bearwalks, hip escapes etc across the gym. Phone Post
This... The class itself should be tough. Live drills after teaching and then rolling. 45 minutes of that is enough for most in the class to get a decent workout. We have a workout after class for those who want to stay. Phone Post
1/31/13 3:22 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like there to be a separate conditioning/circuit training class before jiu jitsu. That way the guys that wanna do it come in for that before and the ones that don't want to font have to. Phone Post
1/31/13 3:22 PM
CJJScout
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA_KNOWLEDGE - 
k1levelstriking - I think brutal warmups should be saved for competition classes, because I do find it's hard to learn properly when you're gassed out. Our school usually does a couple laps around the gym, and then two lines for rolls, bearwalks, hip escapes etc across the gym. Phone Post
This... The class itself should be tough. Live drills after teaching and then rolling. 45 minutes of that is enough for most in the class to get a decent workout. We have a workout after class for those who want to stay. Phone Post

Same here. My teacher's philosophy is that folks are coming to learn BJJ, if they want to do cardio they can do it on their own time or take one of the other fitness classes offered.
1/31/13 3:50 PM
shen
1506 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're not warming up with "ZUMBA!", you're not warming up.
1/31/13 3:57 PM
Rival School

We slap in Taboe and get a good 20 minutes in. Then we go over 3 techniques and bow out. Phone Post
1/31/13 4:04 PM
TristanESP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think warm ups should be enough to get the blood flowing, heart pumping and get a layer of sweat going. This helps prevent injuries. That's why they're called "warm ups". I think what you're referring to as "brutal warm ups" are actually conditioning, which as many have stated should be regulated to another class.
1/31/13 5:02 PM
Herbish1
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our head instructor has us s-train or slow roll or flow roll whatever you like to call it or he has us jog for about 5 mins mixing in high knees, side shuffle, and kicking your heels up. Then we do forward rolls, shrimps, bull frog push ups, lunges, and s mount walking down and back up the mat. Then takedowns back and forth.

Our other black belt instructor does the same then sometimes we do grip training like wheel barrows and rows. Then guard hop crunches. Phone Post
1/31/13 9:49 PM
poopstripe
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have pretty tough warm ups. Jump rope, stretching, lots of situps/pushups, animal drills (elephant walk type stuff), snakes and rolls.
Its always been that way there so I dont know any different. Hated it at first, but now Iam glad we do it.
2/1/13 10:39 AM
RGoodfellow
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10 minutes of stretching and a few movement drills. Then 5 five minute rounds of rolling (I usually flow roll the first 2-3 rounds to get warmed up, then go harder in the last few rounds).

I like warming up like this.

For the competitors and fitness freaks, we have a conditioning class for an hour before BJJ class starts.
2/1/13 10:48 AM
allchokedup
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

during our lunch time class we dont even have a warm up. Come early if you want to stretch ect and then we got on with technique. Sometimes we will roll at the end if time is available. MOst of the time lunch is more advanced students and we just figure you can do conditioning on your own time. we are rushed for time and IMO technique and drilling is the best way to learn.
Night classes we have a 30 minute warm up. Shrip drills,push up,sprawls, bear crawl, front rolls,back roll, break falls ect. I dont think it is brutal but maybe thats because i am in fit. dont know.
2/1/13 10:58 AM
rva
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Warm up with rolling for the first hour, 5 minute rounds no breaks, then half hour of technique based on that months theme, then back to more rolling
2/1/13 1:21 PM
BenBJJ
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/01/13 1:28 PM
I believe warm-ups are intended more for the mind than the body. We will usually sit in a circle and share what is going on in our lives and offer support where needed. Hugs often follow but are not required until the student is completely comfortable with me.
2/1/13 1:42 PM
Herbish1

I feel an hour long class could be more beneficial with out a warmup, if you need to warmup come in early and do it on your own. Or a warmup of armbar and triangle fits to get to get the hips going would be enough for me. But I understand an instructor uses warmups to teach beginners basic jiu jitsu movements like shrimping and to help prevent injury. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:38 PM
tmgrtl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Usually my school does 10 minutes of light cardio, ab workouts, shrimping and stretching. If my main instructor isn't around it's a bit more relaxed and people just do their own thing.
2/1/13 3:35 PM
The Gimp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't believe in brutal warmups. Unfortunately my instructor disagrees, and our warmups are absolute insanity sometimes.

I much preferred the warmups at my old gym where we would drill techniques or flow roll at 25% to warm up. Then competitors and serious athletes could stay for extra conditioning AFTER class.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.