UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Comic shops should categorize based on artist...

1/31/13 4:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
N9K
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This would make things so much easier, at least for me.

I look for certain artists above all else.

Just noticed Avengers switched from Opena to Adam Kubert at issue 4. I like the Kuberts but FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I hate when they do that.

I bought a Hulk trade a couple weeks ago and it switched from Silvestri to some other guy halfway through. I almost put the fucker down and didn't finish. ALMOST.

The ol' bait and switch I call it.

BTW there's a 5 issue Punisher run out by Mark Texeira. I'm on issue 2 now. Texeira is my SHIT!
1/31/13 4:29 PM
paw
1414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes a new artist is a "fill in" artist - grabbing an issue or part of an issue to keep the title on a monthly schedule.    odysseyroc might be able to speak to that, but it seems to be fairly common for certain artists who have a reputation of being "slow".

1/31/13 4:34 PM
BigWilliam
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope. Writing is far more important, the art is secondary. Filing it by artist would be way to much of a pain.
1/31/13 4:57 PM
Hercules Rockerfeller
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the LCS i used to go to would set aside sections for trades by writer, but they closed last year.    

1/31/13 7:22 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol what chaos this would be. I'm ok with alphabetical Phone Post
1/31/13 9:20 PM
N9K
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you think writing is more important than art, you are probably a writer.
2/1/13 1:13 AM
odysseyroc
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everybody knows that coloring is most important.
2/1/13 7:33 AM
YVEL MACHIDA
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No you need a good story, pretty pictures doesn't make up for a shit story Phone Post
2/1/13 8:29 AM
paw
1414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

odysseyroc - Everybody knows that coloring is most important.

Quote of the week!

2/1/13 9:41 AM
BigWilliam
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's all about the inker yo, tracers 4 LIFE.

And I am certainly no writer. At least not a writer of anything, anyone would want to read. But I appreciate good writing.
2/1/13 10:18 AM
RedDragonUK
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol both are just as important come on now. Thats why comics are so great they use BOTH sides of the brain. Writing and Art are just as important and can also be ones personal taste.

For instance I will avoid Greg Land's work like the plague but go out of my way for Ryan Ottley. Writers I cant deal with Dan Slott right now but Hickman is gold.

Perhaps artists should sell their work through their own websites that way they get a bigger chunk of profit and you always know where to find them.

A movie is only as good as its script but also only as good as its director. Phone Post
2/1/13 10:59 AM
BigWilliam

Artists are more like cinematographers than directors. A director dictates how the story is told. CT's dictate how it looks.

Writing carries books, art is secondary.
2/1/13 12:19 PM
RedDragonUK
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I disagree totally. The artist moves the characters he lights it. Influences the mood the expressions the sweat beads the tears the dirt the anatomy the whole deal. Thats directing. Big william i challenge you to draw from a script just a page or two and then tell me art is secondary when the story isnt being portrayed how u envisioned.

Words are one thing,art brings them to life. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:28 PM
BigWilliam

That challenge would make sense if I could draw anything more realistic than stick figures. You might as well challenge me to fly like an eagle man.
2/1/13 12:37 PM
N9K

I buy based on artist is all. Not trying to say writing isn't important.

The great artists of the past just aren't showing up on the shelves as much these days. I guess that's why I find myself buying less and less.

Maybe once a month have a featured artist and all their TPBs on a shelf.

I just know I'm missing out on some good material having to hunt and peck through stacks.
2/1/13 12:43 PM
RedDragonUK

Ha ha okay fair point thats my bad. Its something I face at the moment drawing a script and its a real struggle to remember that this has to come to life and i cant forget anything because i dont want it to be dialed in i want to make this story as real and immersive as I can. Robert Rodriguez said Frank Miller had done the directing in sin city before the film was made. Im sorry if im sounding argumentative i just really want people to understand that the art is just as important. Shitty art can ruin a book Phone Post
2/1/13 12:44 PM
BigWilliam

Have you asked anyone in the shop? Never under estimate the memory of the average comic geek. Someone might be able to help you find the artists you want and they get a chance to flex their geek might at the same time.
2/1/13 12:45 PM
odysseyroc
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with RDUK. Penciling is equal to writing, when it comes to comics. The artist is more than just a cinematographer- he's a costume designer, set designer, director of photography, storyboard artist, etc. Most people don't understand what goes into designing a page, or scene, or whatever. I don't think one can really be successful without the other.

You might have a panel description that's goes something like

Panel 1:

Batman enters through an open window, walks across the room, makes himself a sandwich, and ponders the meaning of life

or a loose plot, where the entire comic is "written" on a page or two, in very broad descriptions. Here's one from Ravagers

Page 16 through 19: Big fight as WINDSHEAR and BRIGHT EYES--now in full RAVAGERS mode--attack they Ravagers. Windshear is all about flying fast and cutting things--scattering the Ravagers. Brighteyes is able to project concentrated light from her eyes -- causing explosions. A REAL sense of what Ravagers Unleashed would be. These two are willing to destroy an entire city in order before failing their mission-- and come close to doing it.

The Ravagers muster together, and lead by THUNDER, they launch their own attack.

Sometimes you'll have ridiculously descriptive scripts, like Alan Moore writes. He'll describe 100 different things going on in the background of a panel. That's a nightmare for an artist, because it's difficult to manage that many elements in a small space, while keeping things understandable.

In all of the examples, it's up to the artist to fix things the writer doesn't understand about the visual medium. The best writers are the ones who learn everything they can about the visual aspects of comics, but understand that there's things that they don't know. I guarantee you, in the best comics you've ever read, the writer and artist each understood their own role, and understood that the other person was equally important.
2/1/13 12:45 PM
BigWilliam

Art is important, and I never meant to make it sound like it wasn't. It is a collaborative medium. But I tend to follow writers and hope for good art.

And on the difficulty level I cannot write or draw well. So they are both Greek to me.
2/1/13 12:53 PM
Stickgrappler
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you all are wacked!

comics/sequential art is all about the whole package - writing + art + inking + coloring + lettering!

granted there are fans based on art only or writing only (or colorist only ;-) but it's the combo of all the talents involved that makes the books special. if you are into art only why buy the singles/tpb's? go buy their original art for sale or the portfolios or artbooks they sell

and N9K -- alphabetical is good! would go crazy looking for the series if artists change.... Warren Ellis' Global Frequency comes to mind, 12 issues maxi-series with a diff artist each issue.
2/1/13 12:55 PM
BigWilliam

RedDragon, you are not being arguementative bro, this is one of those comic book shop discussions that we get to have here. It's why we post on this forum.
2/1/13 12:57 PM
Stickgrappler
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out Will Eisner's Comics and Sequential Art i posted :)

2/1/13 12:59 PM
Stickgrappler

BigWilliam - Have you asked anyone in the shop? Never under estimate the memory of the average comic geek. Someone might be able to help you find the artists you want and they get a chance to flex their geek might at the same time.

in nyc, any comics shop i go to be it midtown comics, forbidden planet or jim hanley's universe, clerks and customers alike will be able to answer any comics-related questions
2/1/13 1:02 PM
BigWilliam

The shop I go to is similiar. Almost any big name writer or artist someone in there has the latest on what books they are doing.
2/1/13 1:07 PM
Stickgrappler

meant to write that not just in nyc, i would imagine any comics shop... the ones i named are fairly big in nyc... there are smaller shops that are really magazine stores/newsstands - so those places you may not find the geeks like in a dedicated LCS

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.