UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> First Yoga Class

1/31/13 4:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJJER
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/13 4:25 PM

So I've been having issues with injuries from bjj that have lingered for a long time. Most likely the injuries have not gone away because I sit at my desk way too much or at least that adds to it. I thought that going to yoga would help but after my first class I came out thinking WTF was that bullshit. All in all probably 15 minutes of stretching with 45 minutes of spirituality BS.

Is there a type of yoga that is better suited for martial artist?
1/31/13 4:32 PM
Rob bjj 12
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try bikram/hot yoga. Intense work out great stretch and great for the neck and bjj. Helped me thru a lot of back and neck problems. Also taught me how to breath and not freak out when im in a bad spot on the mats.
1/31/13 4:41 PM
JosephConnolly
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will take a while to find a studio that fits you. Don't give up on yoga. Like bjj schools there is a lot of variation. And, it doesn't take a whole lot to get certified to teach yoga.
1/31/13 5:22 PM
vegard
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More charlatans in yoga than even martial arts.

Where do you live? I'd look into ashtanga yoga.

You really have to do some research before you try a place out.

Most yoga in the US is designed for fou-fou housewives who feel stressed out.

1/31/13 5:23 PM
vogelbar
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ashtanga yoga is awesome for jiujitsu. If there are no schools near you check out some books or DVDs by Dave Swenson (plenty of clips on YouTube as well) Phone Post
1/31/13 5:32 PM
BJJER

I live in the Bay Area but can't afford to pay another $100 a month for an addition gym so I just tried the 1 hour lunch class at the 24 hour gym I go to. They have a yoga class twice a week and I've been thinking of adding it in instead of going to the gym and doing 20 minutes of cardio and then strectching on my own but now I think I may be better off just sticking with my routine.

One thing that really irritated me about the class was that the instructor was using language that I had never heard to give instruction. " Give your hands to the mother earth and show your appreciation" about halfway through I figured out she meant "put your hands on the floor and then slowly lower your head to the floor as well" WTF.
1/31/13 8:24 PM
nowaydo
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vegard - More charlatans in yoga than even martial arts.

Where do you live? I'd look into ashtanga yoga.

You really have to do some research before you try a place out.

Most yoga in the US is designed for fou-fou housewives who feel stressed out.

Very true. I teach yoga.

I started in Ashtanga because it reminded me of wrestling practice.
2/1/13 2:36 AM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think hip mobility drills, lots of hamstring stretches, and foam rolling/lacrosse ball work will do much more than yoga.for a lot cheaper and much more convenience. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:42 AM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJER - So I've been having issues with injuries from bjj that have lingered for a long time. Most likely the injuries have not gone away because I sit at my desk way too much or at least that adds to it. I thought that going to yoga would help but after my first class I came out thinking WTF was that bullshit. All in all probably 15 minutes of stretching with 45 minutes of spirituality BS.

Is there a type of yoga that is better suited for martial artist?

Ive gone Yoga at 2 or 3 different places, about 60 minutes of stretching/movements.

No spriritual BS to speak of.

Keep looking, you'll find a good fit. Maybe try classes that are taught out of gyms, they may be more likely tofocus on the physical aspects you're interested in.

Hot Yoga is good, but pretty tough. If Yoga is a supplement to BJJ, it may be too much. Especially if you're doing weights/cardio as well. Depends on your schedule.

But don't let the BS factor put you off, its worth it.
2/1/13 2:45 AM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJER - I live in the Bay Area but can't afford to pay another $100 a month for an addition gym so I just tried the 1 hour lunch class at the 24 hour gym I go to. They have a yoga class twice a week and I've been thinking of adding it in instead of going to the gym and doing 20 minutes of cardio and then strectching on my own but now I think I may be better off just sticking with my routine.

One thing that really irritated me about the class was that the instructor was using language that I had never heard to give instruction. " Give your hands to the mother earth and show your appreciation" about halfway through I figured out she meant "put your hands on the floor and then slowly lower your head to the floor as well" WTF.

Oh wow I missed this post.

Seriously? Hands to mother earth? WTF that is so dumb its awesome. Did you not just fucking lost it there and then? LOL

The couple of yoga instructors I had pretty straight forward with instruction, they'd explain the poses as they went, downward dog, cat stretch etc etc.

Good god at mother earth. L.O.L
2/1/13 11:34 AM
allchokedup
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I injured my neck at bjj a few years ago. Started doing yoga at Ballys fitness and after 2-3 months it got better.(my neck) They really didnt get into spiritual stuff, just posses and stretching. It was really good for me and would like to find a cheap place to do it again. Have been thinking bout getting a dvd just to do it at home. I have a foam roller which helps also, but yoga did wonders for my body.
2/2/13 1:31 PM
nowaydo
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The "spirutal stuff" is very rare in the entire realm of yoga in 2013. More yoga now is "fitness" focused.
2/2/13 4:16 PM
Zero1
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It´s funny because all the spiritual experience in Yoga comes from the breathing practice while doing the Asanas (poses).

Doing the poses without breathing is just stretching.....

2/2/13 5:46 PM
markirons
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I literally tried 8 studios and three different gym classes before I found one that wasn't the yoga equivalent of a mcdojo. IMO the hot yoga places had the best/most serious instruction, and minimal mystical stuff. I still have to get over some of the 'third eye' comments, but it was worth it.

You'll know when you get the yoga version of a black belt teaching the class... their instruction will actually make sense and help you get better at the poses rather than try to mask their lack of ability with mumbo jumbo language
2/4/13 11:35 AM
aed333
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've found bikram yoga to be the most beneficial to my bjj, because IMO it provides the greatest stretch, all in a hot, humid room, which also makes it great for sweating out all the toxins. Bikram is also very straight-forward and NOT spiritual, it's all about the postures, and EVERY bikram class goes through the exact same postures twice. Every single class is exactly the same. This can be useful if you're only going like once a week, since you can learn the routine pretty quickly.

That being said, there are some downsides to it, including:
-it can be a pretty strenuous workout, and if you'Re adding it to bjj and other conditioning, it can be too much
-if you overdo it, it can lead to injuries - it's probably the yoga class that results in the most injuries, because it's one where you're generally encouragesd to push yourself to your limits and past them (much like bjj, but then again you're probably doing yoga to be your 'softer' excercise/training session)
-it's a 95 minute class every time, so it's pretty time-consuming - time you could be spending doing something more bjj-related

A good hot flow class that involves some of the movements from bikram and other types of yoga could be an ideal compromise
2/5/13 12:03 AM
nowaydo

Bikram would be best for a standing grappler like a judoka or wrestler, for the difficulty of the many one leg poses, aids balance.(I won a judo event and all I did was 80% Bikram and 20% judo training)

For BJJ Ashtanga would be better (IMHO) for the many lunging poses aid the tight hip flexors, especially the psoas,of most BJJ players. Also, the vinyasa stills lends to the ground transitions of the BJJ player.

If you have serious problems, I'd go to Viniyoga (more personalized and therapeutic)

If you don't want to get too burned out from your yoga training to practice BJJ, I'd go with Iyengar (the mother of hatha of yoga)
2/5/13 5:12 AM
joemasepoos
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you go to Bikram yoga always stand near the back , great view from there .
2/5/13 9:18 AM
Hywel Teague
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
I didn't get so much from Bikram. It didn't feel very hot and the poses weren't so challenging. IMO it's a bit of a fad.

I did quite a lot of Ashtanga for a while, that was great - very dynamic and very challenging, when you get a good teacher. I would highly recommend it.
2/5/13 4:53 PM
nowaydo

The down side of both Bikram and Ashtanga is the same with many yoga classes, lack of individual attention to get the poses right, to feel what your are suppose to feel and where you are suppose to feel it.

It's always better to take privates or small group initially, as well as, get a DVD.
I've been in Bikram and Ashtanga classes with 20-30 people in it. If it's 20-30 intermediate to advance students...OK, maybe... but when most of the class is new to yoga (six months or less), there is no possible way to give that many people the attention they deserve.
2/7/13 5:11 PM
BJJER

Just did my second class at the same place and felt a tad bit better but still too much fluff for my taste.

Talked to a coworker that really into yoga and she said I should get a dvd or sign up to a internet video service like Poweryoga.com. Both of those options would give me better instruction and then I could go to the class at the gym, be more familiar with the poses and language, and get more out of it.

The instructor at the gym does NO personal attention. There's proabably 30-40 people and maybe a few who know what they are doing.
2/7/13 9:59 PM
vegard
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where are you located?

gym yoga is as generic as it can get. probably better than nothing but you can do a lot better.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.