UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Guys asking not to roll with the ladies

1/31/13 9:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
allchokedup
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe he doesnt feel comfortable being that.close to a woman. Maybe he has inapropriate thoughts and is trying to avoid an awkward situation. I have no problem rolling with ladies and i actually enjoy it. Its usually a technical match without someone trying to win. I think your professor should ask hm whats going on. Many times we are quick to judge and label when we dont have a clue as to what soneones reasoning is
1/31/13 10:06 PM
PayItForward
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's fucking a black guy
1/31/13 10:48 PM
Braxmax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like rolling with most women about as much as I like rolling with 300lb guys. I'll do it if I'm put on the spot but I'm not making eye contact and waving them over to my spot on the mat. Let's be honest, many women who train are kinda weird and it's just plain awkward sometimes. Don't worry cool bjj chicks, I'm not talking about you. Phone Post
1/31/13 10:56 PM
Muffinho
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If im specifically working on something like triangles or footlocks, ill avoid it if I can. Otherwise, i don't care. Except if its a new white belt who happens to be a girl. Waste of time.
1/31/13 11:30 PM
brixx139

gusto - let's be honest, rolling with chicks sucks unless they are very good which some are, so no disrespect to them

i will never ask out because i will never embarrass my instructor like that.

Completely disagree. If you know how to limit yourself to not just overpowering someone (which is demonstrating a lack of technique anyway) you can get a lot out of it. Ive learned plenty from the girls at my gym. Phone Post
1/31/13 11:34 PM
The Gimp
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did the guy tell you why he doesn't want to roll with women anymore?
2/1/13 12:18 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shortyjj - We have a few Muslim men who train with us and they ask not to roll with women. It is not always an ego thing.

Funny, because we have one practicing Muslim student at our school and I asked him out of respect if he wanted to roll with a female student (that I called by name to him). I worked the question in casually, in between rolls when I asked everyone to switch partners. He could have said he was going to sit that roll out for a break or whatever, but he said "Yeah, sure". Obviously each male muslim has his preference. BJJ Roxy, that guy he must be ego sensitive.
2/1/13 12:47 AM
gusto

brixx139 - 
gusto - let's be honest, rolling with chicks sucks unless they are very good which some are, so no disrespect to them

i will never ask out because i will never embarrass my instructor like that.

Completely disagree. If you know how to limit yourself to not just overpowering someone (which is demonstrating a lack of technique anyway) you can get a lot out of it. Ive learned plenty from the girls at my gym. Phone Post

bro, im not fat or anything, but i weigh 190lbs. for me to have a decent flow roll with a girl, she is going to need to be pretty big, pretty athletic and pretty skilled. like i said, i have no problem rolling with girls that are good

i will TEACH women and and let them try stuff on me, fine whatever. but in this thread we are talking, afaik, about rolling. it is totally boring is all im saying
2/1/13 1:02 AM
TristanESP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We used have a girl train with us that wore perfume to class. Seemed like she doused herself with it before she came in. It made rolling with anyone who rolled with her that night more pleasant to roll with. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:29 AM
BJJRoxy

The Gimp - Did the guy tell you why he doesn't want to roll with women anymore?
No. When he first said it it kind of
Surprised me so I raised my eyebrow a little as I agreed....he just said he shouldn't be paired up with a woman. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:34 AM
BJJRoxy

allchokedup - Maybe he doesnt feel comfortable being that.close to a woman. Maybe he has inapropriate thoughts and is trying to avoid an awkward situation. I have no problem rolling with ladies and i actually enjoy it. Its usually a technical match without someone trying to win. I think your professor should ask hm whats going on. Many times we are quick to judge and label when we dont have a clue as to what soneones reasoning is
For sure! That's why I thought maybe someone was familiar with this on here or have heard someone say something to this effect. :) Phone Post
2/1/13 5:40 AM
GrahamJ

Isn't society like, heading (slowly) towards some sort of equality for women...?
To read this thread, it's hard to believe that.

So they're women: so what? Don't they have the right to do BJJ, too?

Regards the muslims: should the female students be made to feel uncomfortable on their account?
Surely they should have to conform to the customs of the school, rather than vice versa.
2/1/13 5:59 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this thread is a troll. there are no wimmins posting on this board or anywhere on the internet for that matter.

But I like rolling with girls. but sometimes..... uh things pop up... it can be uh.... hard...... things tend to stiffen.... er..... my tent.... uhhhhh I mean my gi occasionally......well...... you see this one time.........only after i blow my .........uhhhhhhhhhh............ yup you know............hmmmmmmmmmm you see....... it was a roll of quarters i had tucked into my tights for..... laundry yeah thats it I was planning on doing laundry after class and was scared cause the gym was in a rough neighborhood DONT YOU JUDGE ME!@!!!!!!!

GIRLS ARE GROSS AND HAVE KOOTIES I AINT TOUCHING NO STINKING GIRL I MIGHT GROW A VAGEENA ROLLING WITH ONE OF THEM AND IM A GUY I DONT NEED NO DANG SMELLY GIRLS RUINING MY TRAINING
2/1/13 8:24 AM
LCSULLA
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allchokedup - Maybe he doesnt feel comfortable being that.close to a woman. Maybe he has inapropriate thoughts and is trying to avoid an awkward situation. I have no problem rolling with ladies and i actually enjoy it. Its usually a technical match without someone trying to win. I think your professor should ask hm whats going on. Many times we are quick to judge and label when we dont have a clue as to what soneones reasoning is

I agree.

But it does sound like he is saying "Well I wasnt using my full strength and you couldn't tap me". Which if he is thinking that...dick.

As for training with women...sure, why not. The way I look at it is that it will gove them better awarness in a self defense situation. I have rolled with world champs that beat me and smaller blue belts that I go 50% with. And I am 200lbs.

They're trying to get better...just like me.
2/1/13 8:25 AM
CarolinaSMB_CR

I think he won't hurt woman in the rolling... That's all!
2/1/13 8:43 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/01/13 8:44 AM
Everybody's convictions are different. It isn't an ego or equality thing, just a conviction. Those trying to force their conviction on him that rolling with women is okay is exactly the same as him requesting not to roll with a chick. To each his own.

When I pair students up, I always try to put the women with men that I know are going to take care of them. Not spaz, hurt, or creep the gals out. Never any teens.
2/1/13 9:27 AM
Pride Wanderlei

CJJScout - Everybody's convictions are different. It isn't an ego or equality thing, just a conviction. Those trying to force their conviction on him that rolling with women is okay is exactly the same as him requesting not to roll with a chick. To each his own.

When I pair students up, I always try to put the women with men that I know are going to take care of them. Not spaz, hurt, or creep the gals out. Never any teens.
Good post, I try to take care of everyone when I roll. But I still really hate rolling with ladies and since im smaller im mostly paired up with them. Phone Post
2/1/13 10:07 AM
halfninja

The only time I've ever had a problem rolling with a woman was last week.

1st Roll with a slick Blue Belt kid, super long legs, I thought I was going to get the arms under, suck in the hips, turn the legs pass from his guard, but as soon as my arms were under his legs he shot the triangle and used his own arm instead of mine to finish me.

Like 3 rolls later, I was going with a female blue belt, same pass, this time I'm watching for that sneaky triangle, and she doesn't even try it. Having someone's crotch in your face when they're trying to submit you is one thing, but just hanging out there, or I swear trying to use it to smother, is another story.

Awkward and Nasty, these things happen, Face to Ass with a purple belt from a scramble during pass protect last night.

Not enough to keep me from not rolling with someone, but oogy, all the same.
2/1/13 10:28 AM
gusto

GrahamJ - Isn't society like, heading (slowly) towards some sort of equality for women...?
To read this thread, it's hard to believe that.

So they're women: so what? Don't they have the right to do BJJ, too?

Regards the muslims: should the female students be made to feel uncomfortable on their account?
Surely they should have to conform to the customs of the school, rather than vice versa.

i dont think anyone is talking about a woman's right to do bjj
2/1/13 11:41 AM
green_machine
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everybody should train with everybody, IMO, and unless there is a safety or other serious concern, then you shouldn't get to hand pick your partners out of being uncomfortable rolling with them. Everyone was a beginner at one point who nobody wanted to waste time rolling with, it's part of the gym dynamic to repay the favor and help them learn.
2/1/13 12:16 PM
jmil147
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like you would be doing your female partners a disservice by not training with them, or vice versa.

Training with them any differently than you would treat a man is sexism in itself.  Obviously you have to use common sense. The same common sense you use whenever you roll with a smaller male training partner, beginner (of any sex or age), or child (of any ability level).

Giving a female training partner anything less than your full attention= Selling them short IMO, which would be extremely sad and unfortunate if they were eager to learn/improve their BJJ.

What do you think Roxy?

2/1/13 12:44 PM
puppet
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Work open guard usually. Girls are mad flexible so it makes flow rolling a lot more fun/easy to do.

And they usually don't smell like sour gi. Phone Post
2/1/13 1:02 PM
vegard
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe it's just me but I try to be able to roll in a way with anyone regardless of size or gender that is beneficial to both of us.

I also think I should have enough control not to hurt anyone when training.

You should be able to roll with a kid, a woman or a guy that weighs 100 pounds less than you do.

what is the point of playing heavy and with pressure on someone who is not ready or able to deal with that? just use movement and fluidity and keep weight off of them.

Most people need to work on their movement more than pressure anyway. Training with women is a perfect time to do this.
2/1/13 1:19 PM
biggator
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you cant roll with a girl without smashpassing, stacking, kneeon, crushing cross/side... then you need to roll with her probably more than she needs to roll with you.

but hair in the grips does suck.
2/1/13 2:06 PM
gusto

biggator - if you cant roll with a girl without smashpassing, stacking, kneeon, crushing cross/side... then you need to roll with her probably more than she needs to roll with you.

but hair in the grips does suck.

you guys get that having the ability to do something and wanting to do something are not the same, right?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.