UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Grading the Prospects: Gunnar Nelson

1/31/13 6:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This is the fourth in an UnderGround Blog series by Daniel Caton, on grading the prospects in MMA, similar to the way the NFL grades prospects, based on strength of competition, size, speed, agility, and martial arts background, among other factors.

Caton's previous piece was on Khabib Nurmagomedov. Today he analyses Gunnar Nelson.

Prospect Grades uses a numerical building block system of grading, where fighters are awarded points based on:
•Strength of competition
•Size
•Skill set
Strength of Competition:
30 base points: UFC (four or more fights)
20 base points: Strikeforce
16 base points: Bellator (who have done an astounding job at signing young talent)
12 base points: TitanFC/OneFC/MFC/KOTC/LEGACY
5 base points: Any shows below

Size:
Prospect points for size range 10-40
Size points potentially weighs heavily in the score total, as size is frequently the attribute that separates the Jon Joneses from the rest of the stable.

Skill Set:
1-7 Prospect Points are awarded in a number of categories. If there is a glaring hole, negative points can be awarded.
Striking (Offense)
Boxing:__
Clinch Work:__
Kickboxing:__
Footwork:__
Striking (Defense)
Positioning:__
Chin:__
Composure:__
Endurance:__
Grappling (Top Game)
Takedowns:__
Top Control:__
Transition Ability:__
Submission Ability:__
Grappling (Bottom/Defense)
Takedown defense:__
Guard:__
Escape ability:__
Submission Defense:__

The retirements of Chuck, Tito, Randy, etc, which are being followed by the retirements of Pride legends signal a new age.  There is new crop of athletes to cheer for. Understanding the room to grow, and when they will peak, is key.  Age hugely determines where they will be five to ten years from now.
From 14 to -10 Prospect Points are awarded for age.
18-21              15      
22-23               14     
4-25                 10         
26-28                 5      
29-30                 0      
31-32                -2
33-36                -4
37+                  -10

This, the fourth Underground Blog Prospect Report, is on...
Gunnar Nelson
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 170 lbs 
Range: 72”
Record:  10-0-1
UFC Record: 1-0
Strength of Competition: 1 UFC Fights/ 2  BAMMA

SCORES:

SOC: 19  (2.9)

Size: 18   (1.8)

Striking- boxing 1 clinch work 3 kickboxing 1 footwork 5   Positioning 3 chin 2 composure 0 cardio -4  Grappling- Takedowns 3  Top Control 5   Transition 7 Submission 7 TD defense 2  Guard Work 3 Escape ability 3 Sub D 3   
Total Grade— 91 C

Build:  Gunnar doesn’t possess the range or length of a Nick Diaz, but has the size to compete with UFC welterweights. The Icelandic fighter has an exceptional base and strength.  He seems to have the outlook of someone that may be able to drop down to lightweight.  Athletically he isn’t a Papy Abedi or an elite athlete.  He contains very flexible hips and solid explosion from his legs.

Pros:  Nelson is truly an elite level grappler.  Only Maia could even compare to his mat skills.  He has a karate background and it really shows in his wide side stance.  Oddly, unlike a Machida, he uses his leaping forward techniques to grab and clinch, not strike.  This is really a unique attribute when you compare how to defend it, puzzling in fact. 

Despite showing a lack of a fundamental striking game, his karate base stance allows him to dart in close. Once in tight, it’s really his world. He’s able to use the clinch for takedowns on a consistent basis, by sinking in double under hooks and sweeping from the bottom in most cases.  His top game is going to be really unmatched in MMA.  Even Johnson, who rolls with Jeremy Horn daily couldn’t defend it.  And once on top… he finishes.  He seems to favor back control over most techniques.  And he gets there at will, due to his uncanny transition and control ability.   After reviewing film, it’s all in his hips.  He keeps them tight and low, where it’s really hard for an opponent to shake him off his base. 
And did I mention he finishes?  The necks of opponents must come with incentive because even he doesn’t sink the RNC, he finishes with neck cranks and jaw pressure.

Cons:  Despite his elite level of grappling, Gunnar still has holes, and it falls in his striking game.  Even when evaluating his recent fights, the same problems kept showing - he too often leave his lead hand down, and doesn’t protect his right side when throwing off the lead leg or hand.  That’s a problem when you think of some of the power guys at 170 that can end nights.  He keeps his hands low in general, even early on when conditioning shouldn’t be a factor.  He does have good footwork and keeps spring in his movements, but doesn’t use it enough to strike or counter. 

His ground ability is so good that he’s looking only for it.  Many times his opponent’s hands are down, wanting to defend the take down, but he doesn’t take advantage of it.  The one thing we have learned from Machida’s base is you can attack and get out.  Gunnar’s only focused on getting in to drag them to mat, but eventually someone’s going to force him to stand.  He has question marks in his conditioning - the one fight I reviewed that made it to the second, he was visibly tired.

Overall:  An unorthodox find as far as a prospect.  What we have in Gunnar is an elite submission artist with uncanny transition ability.  He is very strong for someone his size and could possibly compete at 155.  Despite the obvious holes defensively in his striking he can work to overcome it.  Right now he does enough with his stance to make him elusive enough to not get caught flush. He doesn’t use the ground and pound nearly enough, for someone with such great control.  He would rather work for a transition than force the opponent to open with punches.  Nelson’s stand up will need some development, which should happen over time.   

The scores tell us that: Gunnar Nelson is the real deal. Already an elite talent, as far as a skill set is concerned.  But, there is this big gapping defensive hole in his game.  That hole will need filled up in the near future. He’ll move up rather quickly. But eventually, a wrestler is going to force him to stand; as he won’t be able to take them down.   In a division that doesn’t possess many elite grapplers he can contend.  Nelson will pose as a confusing opponent to figure out and defend against.  The great thing is, the welterweight division is top heavy. He has to develop a striking game and once he does, he’s a real top 5 talent.    He is a rare prospect indeed, as he already has an elite weapon.   If he can work his striking game around supplementing that, he will be dangerous.

1/31/13 7:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The article is about gunner Nelson Phone Post
ortman166

Gunnar* Phone Post
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very interested to see how good Gunnar can be

1/31/13 7:43 PM
DanielCaton

Edited: 01/31/13 7:56 PM

Yeah, I think Kirik will fix the title soon.  I just emailed him about it.  Before I get to Gunnar I want to point out that: My previous article about Kahbib is showing to be rather accurate.  Also, Allan Nascimento will be getting the call to the UFC after his fight (if he wins) in April.  I hope my review on Gunnar will be just as accurate.  I really think at 170 he poses a lot of problems for guys.  He's a Machida/Maia hybrid if there is such a thing.  A real confusing guy to figure out.

But for him to get to that top 5 status, he needs to work his gas tank...DRASTICALLY!

Oh and follow me on twitter, @daniel_c_tweets

1/31/13 8:18 PM
irishrottie
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took my first bjj lesson from John Kavanagh in 08. We were going over taking the back and he talked about how simple yet genius Gunnar Nelsons technique was and said he will be a future world champ. Its awesome to see him in the UFC now doing his thing.

1/31/13 8:30 PM
irishrottie
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanielCaton - 

Yeah, I think Kirik will fix the title soon.  I just emailed him about it.  Before I get to Gunnar I want to point out that: My previous article about Kahbib is showing to be rather accurate.  Also, Allan Nascimento will be getting the call to the UFC after his fight (if he wins) in April.  I hope my review on Gunnar will be just as accurate.  I really think at 170 he poses a lot of problems for guys.  He's a Machida/Maia hybrid if there is such a thing.  A real confusing guy to figure out.

But for him to get to that top 5 status, he needs to work his gas tank...DRASTICALLY!

Why does he need to work on his cardio?

1/31/13 8:54 PM
hybridfc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

urm, has OP even seen Gunnar fight??? Phone Post
1/31/13 9:21 PM
DanielCaton

irishrottie - 
DanielCaton - 

Why does he need to work on his cardio?

The fights I reviewed of him making it out of the first round, he was visably tired.  Very very tired, and yea a lot of that is from the relentless grappling.  He'll need to work on that.

1/31/13 10:10 PM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Edited: 01/31/13 10:14 PM
nvm
1/31/13 10:18 PM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Fantastic job, guy! ..lol..
1/31/13 10:23 PM
gooddoc

I can't live without your love and affection Phone Post
2/1/13 12:06 PM
Hansumboy

lol at Gunnar having cardio problems. Just because he finishes everyone in the first round that doesnt mean he has bad cardio. If you had ever seen him train you would know that his conditioning is as good as it gets. He has only had two fights that made it out of the first round, one was his first fight (he had been training less than 2 years at that point) and the other one was almost 5 years ago. He hardly cuts any weight which gives him a huge advantage when it comes to cardio.

He has some absolutely vicious ground and pound, early in his career he was nicknamed "Shotgun" because of the way he loaded up those bombs Fedor on the ground. His striking is very underrated as well.
2/1/13 1:36 PM
DanielCaton

Hansumboy - lol at Gunnar having cardio problems. Just because he finishes everyone in the first round that doesnt mean he has bad cardio. If you had ever seen him train you would know that his conditioning is as good as it gets. He has only had two fights that made it out of the first round, one was his first fight (he had been training less than 2 years at that point) and the other one was almost 5 years ago. He hardly cuts any weight which gives him a huge advantage when it comes to cardio.

He has some absolutely vicious ground and pound, early in his career he was nicknamed "Shotgun" because of the way he loaded up those bombs Fedor on the ground. His striking is very underrated as well.

As I pointed out, the fights that made it out of the first round he was tired, very tired.  I'm not saying it's a problem, more of a question mark.  And if he keeps finishing in the first round, who the hell cares right? lol.  I mean the guy scored a 91...that's huge. 

2/1/13 2:03 PM
Hansumboy

So because he looked tired in one fight 5 years ago his cardio is bad? lol at that logic.
2/1/13 2:29 PM
hybridfc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont get the logic that his striking is weak either. It isn't. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:37 PM
DanielCaton

The fight was in 08' but it is the only hard evidence that one can examine.  As for how he'll do in later rounds.  Even in post fight interview after he got his first win in the UFC he was winded.  I'm saying it's a question mark when you look at these things.  And people may end up game planning around it.

As for Hybrid's comment on his striking, If you read it, it's not weak, it's suspect and it could develop with time.  The evaluation is based on actual fight footage, not his gym work.  And yea look at his striking, he leaves way too many open spots to be tagged.  And openly keeps his hands low. 

Thanks for the input guys. 

2/1/13 4:21 PM
BryanH
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Gunnar becomes welterweight champ it won't surprise me. But I think he is small for that weight class considering what the likes of Rory McDonald and others cut. Future 155 champ imo.

Cardio wise, take a look at adcc 09..granted its not mma but the relentless pace he set in the absolute division was very impressive!
2/1/13 4:38 PM
irishrottie

DanielCaton - 

The fight was in 08' but it is the only hard evidence that one can examine.  As for how he'll do in later rounds.  Even in post fight interview after he got his first win in the UFC he was winded.  I'm saying it's a question mark when you look at these things.  And people may end up game planning around it.

As for Hybrid's comment on his striking, If you read it, it's not weak, it's suspect and it could develop with time.  The evaluation is based on actual fight footage, not his gym work.  And yea look at his striking, he leaves way too many open spots to be tagged.  And openly keeps his hands low. 

Thanks for the input guys. 

There is a grappling match of him vs a guy called Piotr Stawski that weighs about 250 pounds of muscle. Goes about 20 mins i think,, his cardio does not need improvement.

2/1/13 4:52 PM
Mufasatheking

I just watched his fight with Iran Mascarenhas and he didnt seem that tired in the second round. He was breathing a little hard but had no problem swinging bombs constantly.

he does seem a little wild with his striking, that might leave him open.
2/1/13 4:57 PM
Mufasatheking

lol after the sam eldson fight the commentators mentioned how gunnar still isnt breathing hard, barely broke a sweat and "his heart rate is still probably at 130".
2/1/13 5:50 PM
Olive Garden Table For One
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't understand that grading system, but it seems anti-Irish if it doesn't rate Our Gunni as the #1 MMA prospect

2/2/13 11:57 AM
DanielCaton

Olive Garden Table For One - 

I can't understand that grading system, but it seems anti-Irish if it doesn't rate Our Gunni as the #1 MMA prospect

He very well may be the #1 prospect, it's the highest prospect score I've given.  91 is an elite caliber guy, and I do think his future is possibly at 155.  And for the guys bitching about the cardio score...wow bro's.  The guy has a 91 score and you all are complaning.  The guy is a monster and no one wants to fight him. 

2/2/13 12:03 PM
Olive Garden Table For One
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He barely cuts to get to 170, he really needs to get himself to lw, unless he has the subs to negate the monster wrestlers on ww Phone Post
2/18/13 7:48 PM
DanielCaton

hybridfc -  I dont get the logic that his striking is weak either. It isn't. Phone Post

I think after seeing another of his UFC fights, seems my issues were correct.  Thanks :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.