UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Grading the Prospects: Gunnar Nelson

2/19/13 1:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hybridfc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanielCaton - 
hybridfc -  I dont get the logic that his striking is weak either. It isn't. Phone Post

I think after seeing another of his UFC fights, seems my issues were correct.  Thanks :)

Ok, first off no need to behave like a little bitch about it. Secondly, he basically just won a fight by striking, he only scored two takedowns in that fight. And this was against a guy who won the strikeforce MW gp by strikes no less. One of Gunnar's key shortcomings in that fight was his footwork. When he got caught it was because his footwork had led him into corners and his reluctance to hold a high guard meant he got clipped.... but you scored his footwork a 5...

I just feel like your 'grading system' is an attempt to quantify the unquantifiable. Fighter's aren't the sum of their individual technical and physical assets, there is a great deal more to it than that. Equally, you can't break someone's striking game down into "boxing" "kickboxing" and "footwork". It is simply ridiculous.

I do genuinely appreciate the effort you go to with these breakdowns, but I just think such a concept is inherently flawed. You attempt to impose objectivity yet apply a purely subjective breakdown. Sure, state your opinion, but don't pass it off like some algorithmic fact drawn from some knowledge that the rest of us on the UG aren't privvy to. Just because your articles are posted by the UG blog does not make them authoritative, and your petty comments on the threads often detract from their legitimacy.

Just my 2 cents. Oh, and FRAT.

2/19/13 2:49 PM
DanielCaton
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hybridfc - 
DanielCaton - 
hybridfc -  I dont get the logic that his striking is weak either. It isn't. Phone Post

I think after seeing another of his UFC fights, seems my issues were correct.  Thanks :)

Ok, first off no need to behave like a little bitch about it. Secondly, he basically just won a fight by striking, he only scored two takedowns in that fight. And this was against a guy who won the strikeforce MW gp by strikes no less. One of Gunnar's key shortcomings in that fight was his footwork. When he got caught it was because his footwork had led him into corners and his reluctance to hold a high guard meant he got clipped.... but you scored his footwork a 5...

I just feel like your 'grading system' is an attempt to quantify the unquantifiable. Fighter's aren't the sum of their individual technical and physical assets, there is a great deal more to it than that. Equally, you can't break someone's striking game down into "boxing" "kickboxing" and "footwork". It is simply ridiculous.

I do genuinely appreciate the effort you go to with these breakdowns, but I just think such a concept is inherently flawed. You attempt to impose objectivity yet apply a purely subjective breakdown. Sure, state your opinion, but don't pass it off like some algorithmic fact drawn from some knowledge that the rest of us on the UG aren't privvy to. Just because your articles are posted by the UG blog does not make them authoritative, and your petty comments on the threads often detract from their legitimacy.

Just my 2 cents. Oh, and FRAT.

If it comes off as authoritative, that was never the intention.  It's a working system, that will continue to evolve over time.  It's very like Mel Kiper's system in grading NFL prospects, from projecting college players to the NFL.  And there is no fact, especially in MMA.  The scores and grade are based purely on my input.  Someone else's views are always welcomed, just like scouts in the NFL and NBA have different values based on different players.

I was only drawing attention to the defensive lapse in his striking.  He keeps his hands low and will get peppered with shots.  It'll need corrected.  As for his footwork, it was merited on his ability to work in and out of ranges, which he has shown brillantly in the past.  But this previous fight it was missing.  But seriously, I've never stated that my grades were perfect and the UFC and MMA in general should respect them, after all...I'm just a fan.

2/19/13 3:48 PM
Doctor Snuggles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanielCaton - 

Not really. His problem isn't really keeping his hands low, but that he needs to work on his footwork and angles, which he himself admitted and was excited about after the fight (great mindset). In the fight it seemed more like he was trying new things out, and he wanted more stand-up experience, which he also sort of confirmed in post fight interviews.
Especially in mma, hands up should be the absolutely last resort, and keeping yourself out of harms way with footwork, angles, counters etc is way more important. Even in boxing the "keep your hands up" mantra is really a terrible oversimplification and does not really say much.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.