UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> OG Unofficial OFFICIAL Concealed Carry Thread

1/31/13 9:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sagiv Lapkin
2053 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/13 10:42 PM
NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

Welcome to the unofficial official concealed carry thread ladies and gents. It seems like every day there’s a new thread asking about what pistol would make a good CCW pistol, what holster is best, different laws and regulations, etc. So I think it’d be great to create a “one-stop shop” for all of this info.

I’m by no means the expert of experts, but I know a few things about concealed carry and it is something I do regularly. In fact, I’m counting on those of you who are more knowledgable than I to chime in with pertinent info. Naturally my expertise is focused on my home state (FL) so I encourage people from other states to include state-centric info about their region.

Some (but not all) of the things I’d like to hit on are:

- CCW weapon of choice

- Holster of choice

- Carry method of choice (IWB, shoulder, ankle, etc)

- Laws

- Common misconceptions

- Dos and Don’ts

So, first things first. I carry a Walther PPS .40 in an IWB (inside the waistband) holster. I do have a few other carry systems, but that’s my go-to. The gun is a dream to fire, and is light and slender so that it lends itself very well to CCW.

I’ll update this further as time permits. Have at it brethren.

1/31/13 9:36 PM
Hired Gun
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This could be interesting Phone Post
1/31/13 9:36 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
2053 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the state of Florida, these are the places you are prohibited from carrying:

Possession Restrictions

The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

• any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
  • any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
  • any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
  • any courtroom*
  • any polling place
  • any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
  • any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
  • any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
  • any school administration building
  • any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
  • any elementary or secondary school facility
  • any area technical center
  • any college or university facility*
  • inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
  • any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

1/31/13 9:39 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Ohio you can carry in bars and restaurants with liquor licenses as long as you don't consume alcohol.

They also got rid of the part where to renew ur license you need your original signed certificate. Now just your license is proof. Phone Post
1/31/13 9:39 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

Common misconception #1 - You're not allowed to CCW inside a bank. Totally false (at least here in FL). Unless there's a sign specifically prohibiting it, you can CCW inside a bank if you feel like it.

1/31/13 9:41 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

MrFluffyHippo -  In Ohio you can carry in bars and restaurants with liquor licenses as long as you don't consume alcohol.

They also got rid of the part where to renew ur license you need your original signed certificate. Now just your license is proof. Phone Post

In Florida you can carry in an establishment that has a bar but also has a restaurant, although you can't sit at the bar.

Example: You can go to Chilis or Applebee's (or some other fast-casual) and even though they serve booze you can CCW IN THE RESTAURANT PORTION of the establishment.

1/31/13 9:56 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

Edited: 01/31/13 9:58 PM

There are a number of states who accept other states' CCW licenses. Here are FL's reciprocity states:

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
   Alabama    (1,3,5)
   Alaska    (1)
   Arizona (6)
   Arkansas    (1)
   Colorado   (1,4)
   Delaware
   Georgia (1)
   Idaho  (3,6)
   Indiana (1,3,6)
   Iowa (6)
   Kansas (1)
   Kentucky
   Louisiana   (1)
   Michigan   (1,4)
   Mississippi (1)
   Missouri
   Montana (3)
   Nebraska  (1)
   New Hampshire   (1,3,4,6)
   New Mexico (1)
   North Carolina (1)
   North Dakota (3,6)
   Ohio (1)
   Oklahoma  (1)
   Pennsylvania   (1,6)
   South Carolina  (1,4,6)
   South Dakota   (1,3)
   Tennessee   (1,6)
   Texas   (1,3,6)
   Utah   (1,6)
   Vermont (2)
   Virginia (1,6)
   Washington (1,6)
   West Virginia (1)
   Wyoming (1,3)

1/31/13 9:56 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

1/31/13 9:58 PM
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/31/13 9:59 PM
albinorhino
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
1/31/13 9:59 PM
Gooner H Smith
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In! Phone Post
1/31/13 10:32 PM
Rogans secret stash
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I carry a Springfield loaded champion (1911) in a Milt Sparks vm2 (iwb) and normally use a beltman belt.
Phone Post
1/31/13 10:35 PM
TakesKawkFromSEAHAWKS
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rogans secret stash - I carry a Springfield loaded champion (1911) in a Milt Sparks vm2 (iwb) and normally use a beltman belt.
Phone Post
Shit dude that's a sweet set up. Phone Post
1/31/13 10:38 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

Edited: 01/31/13 10:41 PM

Isn't that thing a bit too big and heavy? (no homo!) lol

One thing I've noticed with friends is that when they get a pistol that's too big and just not comfy, they'll make excuses not to carry. "Well, I'm just going _______, so I left it home". 

It needs to be so comfy that you don't even know it's there IMO, and that will improve your percentage of carry.

1/31/13 10:40 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub

1/31/13 10:44 PM
PoWdA101
652 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have given serious thought to getting an LCP and ankle carrying that bish. I am not trying to outdraw someone, this isn't the wild west. I am thinking more if I need it I will go down and get it type of thing but that may be a once in my life type thing so why keep it on my hip like I am going to have to draw quicker than the other guy? Also isn't ankle carry easier to draw than IWB carry when in a car?

So My thoughts are it is there if I need it but doubt I will ever use it so why have it on my hip? I know a lot of people are against ankle carry but wouldn't carrying a tiny baby little pistol like an LCP on my ankle be better than carrying nothing at all?

1/31/13 10:46 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

PoWdA101 - 

I have given serious thought to getting an LCP and ankle carrying that bish. I am not trying to outdraw someone, this isn't the wild west. I am thinking more if I need it I will go down and get it type of thing but that may be a once in my life type thing so why keep it on my hip like I am going to have to draw quicker than the other guy? Also isn't ankle carry easier to draw than IWB carry when in a car?

So My thoughts are it is there if I need it but doubt I will ever use it so why have it on my hip? I know a lot of people are against ankle carry but wouldn't carrying a tiny baby little pistol like an LCP on my ankle be better than carrying nothing at all?

I've been torn about this one. I've ankled carried briefly and I didn't really care for how it felt, just walking around (let alone running). However if you're seated in a car, it probably is a good option.

1/31/13 10:48 PM
Jason
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
So since moving to MN I have to take a class and then apply for carry.

Every class here calls it "multi-state" carry.
So after some research I learned that I can apply for a non-resident Carry permit in Utah once I have my MN one, then I am covered in like 35 states. I can even apply just over the mail!

I will definitely do it, but it seems crazy to me! I get the point that if you travel to a state often you might want/need a non resident permit. But is the whole non resident thing really just like pro 2a agenda to spread permit holders repiricocity? Phone Post
1/31/13 11:15 PM
Rogans secret stash
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin -

One thing I've noticed with friends is that when they get a pistol that's too big and just not comfy, they'll make excuses not to carry. "Well, I'm just going _______, so I left it home". 

It needs to be so comfy that you don't even know it's there IMO, and that will improve your percentage of carry.

I'm 6'4" and about 270lbs. Size isn't and issue for me. Phone Post
2/1/13 1:04 AM
theken206
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin - 

I carry a full frame 1911 (Les Baer Custom) most of the time as well with no issue.

Carrying a good handgun should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable as Col. Cooper would have put it.
2/1/13 2:25 AM
uniquetechnique
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in like Flynn
2/1/13 3:09 AM
osaewaza
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i open carry a 6.5" taurus 608 8 shot .357 mag. in a triple k holster w/ hornady critical defense ammo.
2/1/13 3:24 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sooo, IN

Thanks for creating this thread. I'm getting mine this month Phone Post
2/1/13 5:04 AM
Squirrel Guard
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice thread. I carry a ruger SR9c in a blackhawk paddle holster. Looking into an IWB holster as the blackhawk is just too bulky for concealed carry. Don Hume seems to be a good option. Phone Post
2/1/13 6:33 AM
McFly
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sig P229 Equinox in a Galco Jackass shoulder holster. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.