UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Dead lift grip question

1/31/13 11:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mitey Mouze
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I've been doing starting strength for a few weeks now and it's awesome. Making great gains and tonight I actually hit 200 on my dead lift (yah me). I'm not a big guy, around 5'6 160 lbs. The problem is that even with the alternating grip, it was all I could do to barely hold on to the weight, was losing my grip pretty quickly on the last few reps. Will chalk make a big difference (not using any now)? I know some people use straps but I'd rather not cos I want to develop my grips. Any suggestions? Thx. Phone Post
1/31/13 11:58 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chalk makes a huge difference. use it.
2/1/13 12:17 AM
Mitey Mouze
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will try, thanks. Phone Post
2/1/13 3:31 AM
Leigh
842 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knurling on the bar also makes a big difference. If the bar is smooth, grip can be affected, although probably not at 200 (you mean 200lbs, right?) Phone Post
2/1/13 8:04 AM
Blunderhooks
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny, I just saw this after making a thread about grip training.

I am doing SS too. As such here's the disclaimer: I'm a beginner! That said here's my 2 cents:

Are you able to do 2-3 warm up sets with double overhand? Try to save up the alternate grip for as long as possible. If that means you have to reduce the reps on your warm up sets to one rep per set just keep the bar in your hands, do so. (Just warm up with multiple singles). It should strengthen your grip quickly.

Try to avoid straps if you can. If you have to use them, just do them on your work set.

I just started training my grip a bit using captain of crush grippers. They are awesome. I have a desk job and just mash out a few sets of ten or whatever every couple of hours. I'm not yet sure if the strength will carry over into the Deadlift but I imagine there will be at least some benefit. So you can try that. Make sure you get some heavy duty grippers like CoC and not the standard weak ones you find in sporting goods stores or at Walmart etc. Phone Post
2/1/13 9:03 AM
Mitey Mouze

Leigh - Knurling on the bar also makes a big difference. If the bar is smooth, grip can be affected, although probably not at 200 (you mean 200lbs, right?) Phone Post
Yes, it is a smooth bar...some cheapo thing I bought at Dicks. I've read it's worth investing in a good bar, I guess this is another reason why. Phone Post
2/1/13 10:22 AM
Leigh
842 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or use straps and work grip separately Phone Post
2/1/13 10:48 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chalk will make a tremendous difference. If you can use it where you train you absolutely should anytime you are doing a lift that requires grip.

I think people get too carried away with the whole "no straps" mentality/mantra.

Yes developing a strong grip is essential and great but never using straps on your deadlifts isn't necessarily the best way to do so. More likely and especially if you are a newbie to both strength training and grip training you will just end up holding yourself back on your deadlift.

I mean what is your goal in training the deadlift? If you see it purely as a grip exercise then yeah just pick up the weight and do holds until your hand opens up. But if your doing it because you know that its one of the best exercises for developing overall body strength then why allow yourself to be limited by your grip or lack of?

If your back and legs and motivation can still handle plenty more but your hands aren't up to the task why not throw on the straps and keep going? Or why not just put them on in the 1st place? Save the grip training FOR grip training.

Captains of Crush are great and fun but I wouldn't recommend them as the best method for improving your deadlift grip. Crushing grip is very specific type of strength that won't always translate well to other grip challenges. If you are going to go that route and the goal is to improve your grip for the deadlift I'd recommend doing a lot more holds for time with the CoC's rather than sqeezing reps and/or max effort closing reps.

You need to get more "lift specific" if you want the best way to improve your deadlift grip. Lighten the weight on the bar about 60-70% of your max and do holds for time. Try to set new time records with certain weights. You can do these at the end of a deadlift session or as a separate "grip" workout. Invest in a 2" thick bar and do the same thing with that at 50-60%. Put the thick bar on top of a power rack and do hanging holds for time. Do hang holds from a regular chinning bar too.

For the thick bar just go to your local scrap yard a buy a piece of used pipe 2"OD about 7' long. Make sure it has wall thickness to make it strong enough to hold heavy weight. Bring a 2 and half pound Olympic plate with you to make sure it fits nicely. Alternatively you could also just invest in set of Fat Gripz.

Invest in or build your own Farmers walk handles and start training with them regularly with challenging weights. Really push yourself hard on these doing walks for distance as well as holds for time. I can't think of anything else that develops grip better than Farmers and it has many many other physical benefits as well so you really can't go wrong adding these into your program. Again it doesn't take much, you can find all you will need at the scrap yard in used steel. Make sure you build them long enough so that you have room to take a nice big stride without banging your legs into the weights.
2/1/13 6:05 PM
andyman011

Its obviously because you have a smooth bar. Get some grip and chalk. Phone Post
2/1/13 9:45 PM
molsonman
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hockey tape might help give the bar more grip.
2/2/13 12:04 AM
Mitey Mouze

Thanks for all the input...got some chalk and gonna give that a try next deads. Not looking to do extra grip work right now, between SS and bjj, no extra time to workout or recover. Phone Post
2/2/13 2:59 AM
Leigh

Well, you could use straps and then a couple sets of captains of crush right after. Not a big issue imho Phone Post
2/4/13 9:07 AM
Blunderhooks
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - Well, you could use straps and then a couple sets of captains of crush right after. Not a big issue imho Phone Post
Leigh, in your experience what type of martial arts training tends to give the strongest grip? I'm just curious.

I hear judoka can have very strong grips, or at least great grip endurance.

Do you think any martial artists/MMAists could close a #2 CoC without specific grip training? I'm just curious how strong the grip can get from grappling and general MA accessory conditioning without focusing on grip. Phone Post
2/4/13 9:45 AM
CMX
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have access to a rope to climb, climb it or do some pullups on it, great way to build up grip strength Phone Post
2/4/13 11:36 AM
Leigh

Probably Judo. Would need some sort of genetic talent though, I don't think Judo by itself would be enough for an average dude to close a #2
2/4/13 8:39 PM
Keep if professional

Using chalk, I went from losing my grip on near max attempts to my back and legs being the weak link and my grip rockin' steady while pulling.
2/4/13 11:07 PM
andyman011

Fearless Winker -

You should get your hands checked, your grip should not be failing at that weight given your size. 

Thats in my VERY humble opinion. 

He is using a smooth bar no chalk and no straps. Once your hands sweat you have a better chance holding onto a bar of soap with 15 black guys standing over you Phone Post
2/5/13 9:40 PM
turducken

Fearless Winker - 

You should get your hands checked, your grip should not be failing at that weight given your size. 

i dont think his issue suggests medical problems. he is obviously a complete beginner. most thin guys who have never worked out before are incredibly weak. i remember the first time i went to the gym freshman year of college and tried to bench 135...that weight pinned the bar to my chest, lol.
2/5/13 9:52 PM
molsonman
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/6/13 11:02 AM
Mitey Mouze

Fearless Winker -
turducken - 
Fearless Winker - 

i dont think his issue suggests medical problems. he is obviously a complete beginner. most thin guys who have never worked out before are incredibly weak. i remember the first time i went to the gym freshman year of college and tried to bench 135...that weight pinned the bar to my chest, lol.

Yeah true, sorry if I offended you OP we all started somewhere!

I can remember posting a thread about severe doms just over 12 months ago, I got them squating 0.5 x BW for 5x5 and couldnt walk LITERALLY for 3 days. LOL

Good luck OP and everyone else.

No offense taken...honestly, I was pretty suprised how weak I actually was when I started SS. Like most guys, I just assumed that I was as strong as the next guy, give or take. But after rolling with some pretty strong dudes, it occurred to me that maybe I wasn't. Especially when it came to grip fighting. But I'm pretty pleased with the results in SS so far and hope that improves my overall game and helps with injury prevention. Phone Post
2/6/13 1:23 PM
None So Blind
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Props on doing SS, it has been a life-changer for me.

Have you tried a hook grip?

It's much like Rip's advice on doing your squats without the pad on the bar - it hurts the first 3-4-5 times you do it, then you get used to it. Same with hook grip - it's uncomfortable as shit when you first start, but it gets much better.
2/6/13 1:44 PM
Mitey Mouze

None So Blind - Props on doing SS, it has been a life-changer for me.

Have you tried a hook grip?

It's much like Rip's advice on doing your squats without the pad on the bar - it hurts the first 3-4-5 times you do it, then you get used to it. Same with hook grip - it's uncomfortable as shit when you first start, but it gets much better.
Care to elaborate on how it's been a life changer? I'd love to hear some positive success stories with SS. I haven't tried the hook method yet, but I did read up on it and will give it a try. Phone Post
2/6/13 2:14 PM
None So Blind
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've posted a couple times on here already, but Cliff Notes version is that after some mild dabbling with weights here and there, I started SS at age 40 and got up to weights I did not dream were possible for me (squat 365 3x5, deadlift 385 1x5, bench 227.5 3x5 I think, press 155 3x5, clean 165 5x3, and weighted chin-ups 3 sets of 8 with a 45 pound weight on my belt).

Starting weight was ~180, highest was 220, but am now floating around 208. Six feet tall.

Had a couple stops for various life bullshit and had to restart at lower weights (broken tailbone one year, got pneumonia another, had new baby with a lot of health problems last year), but it always comes back quick.

I was just starting to hit the stage where Texas method was a good option for almost all those things, LOL, so I never hit my goal of 300-400-500 for bench-squat-dead, but I'm back on it now. With luck I'll get there around summer time.
2/6/13 5:38 PM
Mitey Mouze

Congrats, that's very cool. I just turned 40 this year, so that's inspiring! Phone Post
2/7/13 7:21 PM
Just_Scrap

Mixed grip on your working set, and once you've locked out the lift try holding it for a little while, it'll help strengthen your grip.

I didn't read the other post so this may have already been mentioned. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.