UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Krav Maga

1/31/13 11:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OCMikelob
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you think it's the best self-defense training in real world situations? I'm pretty clueless about it, but have read good things.

Anyone here have any experience training Krav Maga? Any suggestions for someone thinking about giving it a shot?

Thanks in advance Phone Post
2/1/13 12:02 AM
OCMikelob
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
2/1/13 12:12 AM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My general understanding:

If you train with the organizations that are actually linked to Israel and train properly (if I recall there is one or two in the US) its fine for self defense, and probably gives you enough of a taste of all ranges of fighting (ground, clinch, striking etc) that it might be a decent base to continue training MMA with.

BUT there are lots of people saying they teach Krav Maga and don't, and don't use productive training methods.

You'd probably do just as well training some Judo and Boxing, unless you intend to get in a knife fight.
2/1/13 12:18 AM
OCMikelob

Hey thanks for the response. Do you happen to know which of those has the least chance of serious injury while training?

I realize there's a chance to get injured in any of them, but which would have the LEAST chance. I need to work and right now any injuries would make my job alot harder. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:21 AM
OCMikelob

I would also prefer no knife fights in the near future, if possible Phone Post
2/1/13 12:25 AM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm. More head injuries in boxing, Judo probably harder on the knees/nick/back/everything else I would guess. I do Judo and you get pretty sore, but I haven't been injured badly. But it doesn't teach you to punch people in the face very well, if thats what you want to do.

But, like you said, you'll get injured in any art that actually teaches you to fight... because you fight in training.

2/1/13 12:35 AM
OCMikelob

Awesome thanks, I appreciate it!

Anyone else have advice or an opinion on KV?

I would post some titties, but I'm on my phone. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:36 AM
VinnyTheChin
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is something that may ring true. In a self defense situation it is mindset. You can know all the Krav Maga or mma you want. But if you aren't willing to go full go, it doesn't mean shit. The mindset must be full go. Ok, the first strike or two that come instinctually from training may deter the asshole. But to really make sure the dude isn't getting up for more, you need a real attitude to hurt the guy. I learned that the hard way in good ol boogie down Bronx, NY. Got my ass kicked bc my first few "trained" moves worked and I didn't follow up. So, that said, any type of fighting/combat training is great. But you better be willing to make it count after the first few trained/instinctual moves. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:39 AM
OCMikelob

Oh I'm down to make it happen if need be. Definitely not hesitant about going full force in a potentially violent situation. Been in numerous fights...won some, lost some but I've always gone for blood. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:44 AM
UnbreakableT
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All Krav Maga is ,is a mma combo followed by a kick to the nuts Phone Post
2/1/13 12:50 AM
OCMikelob

From what I understand they teach to aim for all the targets that are illegal in mma, hence the kick to the nuts. But what do you mean by an mma combo?

Can you be more specific or are you being sarcastic? Thanks either way Phone Post
2/1/13 12:55 AM
xXJayRobXx
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PK618 - My general understanding:

If you train with the organizations that are actually linked to Israel and train properly (if I recall there is one or two in the US) its fine for self defense, and probably gives you enough of a taste of all ranges of fighting (ground, clinch, striking etc) that it might be a decent base to continue training MMA with.

BUT there are lots of people saying they teach Krav Maga and don't, and don't use productive training methods.

You'd probably do just as well training some Judo and Boxing, unless you intend to get in a knife fight.
This. Is seen instructors who are Krav Maga "certified" and they teach the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen. That ring said I'm sure if you can find a legit Krav Maga instructor then it's worth your time. Do your research and ask questions. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:56 AM
xXJayRobXx
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being.** Phone Post
2/1/13 1:00 AM
OCMikelob

I wonder if there's some sort of database to find "legit" instructors. I'll have to do some digging to find out I guess. Phone Post
2/1/13 1:02 AM
PK618

OCMikelob -  I wonder if there's some sort of database to find "legit" instructors. I'll have to do some digging to find out I guess. Phone Post

Go to Bullshido.com and do a search. I know there are some threads there that talk about the legit organizations vs the McDojos that tried to ride the Krav Maga popularity wave.
2/1/13 1:28 AM
OCMikelob

The advice so far is very much appreciated, fellas Phone Post
2/1/13 1:32 AM
OCMikelob

Hopefully some KM practitioners can grace this thread Phone Post
2/1/13 1:46 AM
Dirk Bevlin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I looked into Krav Maga a few years back.

Groin attacks, throat attacks, eye-gouging. I hear they also emphasize training under stress, high adrenaline situations.

And checkout the win/loss ratio of the IDF. None too shabby. Don't they also train DEA, FBI, all sorts of law enforcement agencies and such?

I don't know how useful it would be for someone planning to compete, but for practical self-defense on the street, it sounds pretty good to me.

I believe Krav Maga Worldwide is legit. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:07 AM
OCMikelob

What stopped you from trying it? Phone Post
2/1/13 3:13 AM
Dirk Bevlin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Women and booze. Phone Post
2/1/13 3:19 AM
Dirk Bevlin

But I've sobered up, planning on training again soon. Keep in touch, we can compare notes. Phone Post
2/1/13 9:44 AM
OCMikelob

Sounds good Phone Post
2/1/13 10:23 AM
Sleazy Martinez
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jew karate, nice. Phone Post
2/1/13 10:46 AM
halfninja
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Krav Maga is a very simple art; there's only like 200+ movements/reactions. You learn those like 40 at a time (per level) and you basically drill them to death. The goal being muscle memory. The idea of 'Retsev' is to get you aggressive so you follow up your groin strike with a throat strike and that throat strike with an elbow and then reach that elbow over to the back of your opponent's head and knee him 3 or 4 times.

It's quick, it's violent and dirty. Not sure what the legal ramifications are on over use of force, or how many people get injured or die each year because they attempted to disarm a knifewielding/gunwielding assailant.

It's a great work out, and it'll definitely improve your reflexes. I found though that training aggression tends to make you a little more of an asshole in your personal life as well, call it bleedover.

You really have to believe in your instructor, your partners and your school because there's very few places to test your skills. There are no Krav Maga tournaments (they say because it's too dangerous); so you would have to pick fights or troll dark alleys looking to measure your skills. Some schools have very hard sparring but that is still nowhere near the actual intensity you would have fighting someone who wanted to kill you and that you didn't see twice a week for three years.

I liked it, but it's not the end all be all of martial arts.
2/1/13 10:51 AM
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dirk Bevlin - I looked into Krav Maga a few years back.

Groin attacks, throat attacks, eye-gouging. I hear they also emphasize training under stress, high adrenaline situations.

And checkout the win/loss ratio of the IDF. None too shabby. Don't they also train DEA, FBI, all sorts of law enforcement agencies and such?

I don't know how useful it would be for someone planning to compete, but for practical self-defense on the street, it sounds pretty good to me.

I believe Krav Maga Worldwide is legit. Phone Post
IDF lost their last war badly fwiw. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.