UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Krav Maga

2/1/13 11:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bloodstorm
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First thing you need to understand is the difference between learning how defend yourself and learning how to fight.

Krav Maga from a good instructor will cover great realistic self defense from all ranges. It will also give you a go intro into learning how to be a proficient fighter but don't plan on winning any championships soon Phone Post
2/1/13 11:05 AM
OCMikelob
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

halfninja - Krav Maga is a very simple art; there's only like 200+ movements/reactions. You learn those like 40 at a time (per level) and you basically drill them to death. The goal being muscle memory. The idea of 'Retsev' is to get you aggressive so you follow up your groin strike with a throat strike and that throat strike with an elbow and then reach that elbow over to the back of your opponent's head and knee him 3 or 4 times.

It's quick, it's violent and dirty. Not sure what the legal ramifications are on over use of force, or how many people get injured or die each year because they attempted to disarm a knifewielding/gunwielding assailant.

It's a great work out, and it'll definitely improve your reflexes. I found though that training aggression tends to make you a little more of an asshole in your personal life as well, call it bleedover.

You really have to believe in your instructor, your partners and your school because there's very few places to test your skills. There are no Krav Maga tournaments (they say because it's too dangerous); so you would have to pick fights or troll dark alleys looking to measure your skills. Some schools have very hard sparring but that is still nowhere near the actual intensity you would have fighting someone who wanted to kill you and that you didn't see twice a week for three years.

I liked it, but it's not the end all be all of martial arts.
Sounds awesome to me.

But you're saying training Krav Maga has the tendency to turn someone into a douchebag? Phone Post
2/1/13 11:06 AM
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most posts on point with KM it all depends on the instructors. Some are legit some are jumping on the bandwagon. I would take a free class and ask the background of the Instructor.I've been teaching MMA,KM,BJJ over 10 years.
2/1/13 11:09 AM
OCMikelob
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm definitely not worried about championships, tournys, etc.

Just looking for a good workout and how to end a fight very quickly if necessary. Basically just for real-life self defense. Phone Post
2/1/13 11:10 AM
OCMikelob

Can anyone suggest any legit instructors in the LA/Orange County area in Cali? Phone Post
2/1/13 11:20 AM
ajl416az

Edited: 02/01/13 11:23 AM
krav maga teaches mentality, not skill.
meaning they primarily focus on teaching how to react in situations, and not so much on technical skills. but if you know the right reaction, but you have no idea how to fight and execute your strategy, that knowledge is useless.

even the wikipedia for krav maga states that the guys who started it, were Jewish amateur wrestlers and boxers that had to fight in the ghettos during ww2, and combined their knowledge/experience

IMO, the best move is to find a place to learn some wrestling and boxing to get some skills
and then try some krav maga to learn how to apply that skill on the street or in bad situations

don't train anywhere where they don't do some sort of sparring. period
if you can't stop someone from beating you up in practice when it's not 100% intensity, how on earth would you know what works to stop someone from beating you up when it is for real?

and if you think you can 'kind of' learn how to fight, without getting hurt or working hard, you can't
just save your time and money and buy a gun.
2/1/13 11:26 AM
OCMikelob

ajl416az - krav maga teaches mentality, not skill.
meaning they primarily focus on teaching how to react in situations, and not so much on technical skills. but if you know the right reaction, but you have no idea how to fight and execute your strategy, that knowledge is useless.

even the wikipedia for krav maga states that the guys who started it, were Jewish amateur wrestlers and boxers that had to fight in the ghettos during ww2, and combined their knowledge/experience

IMO, the best move is to find a place to learn some wrestling and boxing to get some skills
and then try some krav maga to learn how to apply that skill on the street or in bad situations

don't train anywhere where they don't do some sort of sparring. period
if you can't stop someone from beating you up in practice when it's not 100% intensity, how on earth would you know what works to stop someone from beating you up when it is for real?

and if you think you can 'kind of' learn how to fight, without getting hurt or working hard, you can't
just save your time and money and buy a gun.
But it still teaches "combat" techniques, doesn't it? To go along with the mentality

Thanks for the thought out answers, everyone. It all helps. Phone Post
2/1/13 11:31 AM
OCMikelob

Also..I am willing to get injured and dedicate myself to an art, I realize it's part of any martial arts. I would just like to keep it to a minimum, if possible, because of my job. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:11 PM
ajl416az

Edited: 02/01/13 12:16 PM
krav maga schools do teach techniques, but a majority of Krav Maga schools are run by Krav Maga guys, that do not teach or compete in any other combat sports.
not to say that everyone has to compete. but it can be problematic, because some of them will teach you flawed technique because of this inexperience

coaches that teach competitors know more details, simply by virtue of experience. they knokw what works because they are constantly seeing fights, and technique has to be more refined to work against people that know how to defend it
(it was a lot easier for Royce to submit dudes at UFC 1 then it was at UFC 60)

and i didn't say that stuff about not working hard, etc. to be a dick

i just want to be up front that you have to take some knocks in order to learn how to dish em out.
2/1/13 2:24 PM
OCMikelob

ajl416az - krav maga schools do teach techniques, but a majority of Krav Maga schools are run by Krav Maga guys, that do not teach or compete in any other combat sports.
not to say that everyone has to compete. but it can be problematic, because some of them will teach you flawed technique because of this inexperience

coaches that teach competitors know more details, simply by virtue of experience. they knokw what works because they are constantly seeing fights, and technique has to be more refined to work against people that know how to defend it
(it was a lot easier for Royce to submit dudes at UFC 1 then it was at UFC 60)

and i didn't say that stuff about not working hard, etc. to be a dick

i just want to be up front that you have to take some knocks in order to learn how to dish em out.
Right on...I didn't take it as you being a dick. Thanks for the info brotha. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:27 PM
OCMikelob

Rickson stays inside the home - Krav Maga is a fraud, I know it just by where it comes from.

Lol at yids knowing anything about physical effort, they should stick to what they're good at: usury and tittytainment.
I'm 32 years old, not a "kid". Are you just trying to be a dickhead? Cuz you've succeeded. Phone Post
2/1/13 2:28 PM
OCMikelob

Oh "yid" nevermind...you're still a dickhead Phone Post
2/1/13 2:30 PM
OCMikelob

Heel Hooker - I've trained in KM in the past. Like mentioned above some are legit some not so mcuh. The techniques are basic and simple honestly not important to the legit school. To legit schools it's being able to react under stress an high adrenaline situations. For example I trained Arnis for many years but when I did the high stress attacks and had a stick all I could do was robotically hit up and down , it was bizarre. Taht said I've found very few schools who put the time and planning into doing high stress training properly. Most schools it's justa cardio kickboxing workout with some self defense moves and maybe some crappy sparring.

Sorry but unless you're goiung to pay big $ it's really no better than any other MA. I think BJJ had prepped me better for self defense and tournaments taught me how to deal with adrenaline and be aggressive.
Good stuff! Phone Post
2/3/13 9:04 PM
Diesel67

Sleazy Martinez -  Jew karate, nice. Phone Post

"Jew jitsu" at least is funny.
2/3/13 9:31 PM
Diesel67

Heel Hooker - 
Rickson stays inside the home - Krav Maga is a fraud, I know it just by where it comes from.

Lol at yids knowing anything about physical effort, they should stick to what they're good at: usury and tittytainment.

Can someone ban this racist clown?

No, don't ban him. The answer to bad speech is good speech. This punk's profile has no photo, no age or DOB, no location, no athletic background, nothing. He sounds like a total pussy who needs to be taught a lesson in respect at the fists and feet of an Israeli ex-para.
2/3/13 9:48 PM
Tommy Gunnz
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
2/3/13 10:11 PM
OCMikelob

Dr Schopenhauer - Subbed. I trained in Krav Maga under Otis berry. He is legit. I felt very fluid to take down an attacker or two. It is legit if you get under the Krav Maga worldwide banner or someone such as Otis. Krav costs too much if you ask me, like 115 per month for two days a week. Not a good price and most will screw you on contracts. Phone Post
Nice!!

How long were you taking KM? And how long before you felt competent and confident with your skills?

Finally....
Why did you stop?

Thanks Dr S Phone Post
2/3/13 11:19 PM
OCMikelob

Awesome man....thanks again

Yea it seems like the gun and knife defenses would seem kinda useless, generally speaking, in everyday life. But I think I also like the attacking body weaknesses aspect that you mentioned too. I'm very interested. Phone Post
2/4/13 1:49 AM
diggity

It's effective. When you find someone legit- otherwise dangerous to be walking round thinking you're chuck Norris when you're actually zac ephron. Phone Post
2/4/13 4:54 AM
Sleazy Martinez
584 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diesel67 -
Sleazy Martinez -  Jew karate, nice. Phone Post

"Jew jitsu" at least is funny.
Dry your eyes man. Not my fault if you don't get the reference. Phone Post
2/4/13 5:08 AM
tiger07
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do boxing and wrestling, or MMA.
2/4/13 7:21 AM
Sharkbait
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Krav Maga is legit self defence esp with multiple attackers.
I trained 16 years ago and stopped 8 years ago to transition to bjj which was tough going from complete aggression to relaxing on the mat.
Great mental and physical exhaustion. Phone Post
2/4/13 9:49 AM
Unseen
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UnbreakableT - All Krav Maga is ,is a mma combo followed by a kick to the nuts Phone Post
So it's MMA. Phone Post
2/4/13 9:55 AM
Lazer MMA

Goal is to destroy your opponent. Groin shots and eye poke (gauge) are basic elements like in Jeet Kune Do. it's completely geared for real fighting, not for sport.
2/4/13 10:02 AM
OCMikelob

So...the key is to find a legit instructor, it's unanimous. It's probably that way with a lot of martial arts, I'm assuming. The Zac Ephron comment, although funny, actually makes alot of sense too. If I'm gonna pay all this money, I don't want a false sense of security when it comes down to it.

Alot of good advice and opinions. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.