UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ex Yankees pitcher Abbott supports Nick Newell

1/31/13 11:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

There are a variety of conventions and laws that are designed to even the playing field for the handicapped. Nick Newell was born with his left arm ending just after the elbow, but he is not handicapped. He does not require the equivalent of an elevator or a convenient parking spot.

All Nick Newell needs, is step into a cage, have the doors locked behind him, and may the best man win. He has never lost.

Newell and his fans are currently campaigning for consideration by the UFC, something that UFC president Dana White has voiced resistance to; White has also kept the door open, saying he would "never say never." Among Newell's supporters is former Yankees pitcher Jim Abbott, who was born without a right hand, and tweeted his support.

“Watching UFC," tweeted Abbott. "Help me understand, in a sport where the best man wins and rules seems limited, why wouldn't Nick Newell get a chance?”

Newell, the XFC lightweight champion, responded: “Thank you so much for your support Jim. I've always looked up to you, so coming from you its extra special.”

During his windup, Abbot would put his mitt on the end of his right forearm. Once the ball was released, he would quickly put his left hand into the mitt to field potential comebackers. If a ball ever did get hit to him, he’d slip his left hand out of the mitt, remove the ball and throw to the necessary base. Teams tried to exploit the supposed weakness by bunting against him, but it rarely worked.

“Nothing can stop you!” Abbott tweeted. “Keep fighting, keep believing. We are all rooting for you.”

Read entire article...

1/31/13 11:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MickColins
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

High Fiv....

2/1/13 12:04 AM
Uncle Rukus
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always loved watching Jim Abbott pitch. Was one of my favorites growing up. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:05 AM
iamjohnny
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
2/1/13 12:05 AM
iamjohnny

Abbott and Newell are an inspiration!
2/1/13 12:19 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

Uncle Rukus -  I always loved watching Jim Abbott pitch. Was one of my favorites growing up. Phone Post

he had some really good years pitching.

he was definitely an inspiration to all those who watched him. where there is a will, there is a way.
2/1/13 12:42 AM
Slap Maxwell
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool story!
2/1/13 1:25 AM
sgotwalks
1345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Abbott  was here right noe, I'd give the son-of-a-gun a vote up. OP gets it instead.

2/1/13 3:12 AM
Vulva Fabulous
838 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIRC, Abbott never played a minor league game prior to making it to the show. I believe he played on the Olympic team then straight to MLB. He's definitely an inspiration. Phone Post
2/1/13 4:23 AM
aaronlynton
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
2/1/13 4:39 AM
ChaosOverkill
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

2/1/13 5:31 AM
Bubba Stuckey
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Abbott also played QB on his high school football team. Impressive!
2/1/13 5:39 AM
spliff
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/01/13 5:39 AM

does tank abbott support him?

2/1/13 6:56 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

spliff - 

does tank abbott support him?

people treat jim abbott like he's special just because he was born without a right hand.

he's begging for it.
2/1/13 9:35 AM
pandrews76
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Abbott pitched a MLB no-hitter...with one hand.
2/1/13 9:49 AM
Old noob
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When linking this same story, Nick added on his FB page

"I'm definitely not disabled but whatever. Press is press and NY Post is a pretty big deal."

Awesome quote, imo.
2/1/13 11:16 AM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iamjohnny - Abbott and Newell are an inspiration!

This

2/1/13 1:44 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jim Abbott was primarily an Angel and had his best years there. He also played for the White Sox and Brewers. He was an excellent pitcher no matter what, disability/inability/difference/etc. just like Newell is an excellent prospect no matter what. Newell deserves his shot & I hope he gets it.

And yes, he would get beaten down eventually in the UFC, not necessarily because of his condition but because just about everyone eventually gets beaten down in the UFC, and yes, it would also suck watching him get beaten down just like it sucks watching Matt Hamill get beaten down, but if he's good enough to be there (and he is), and if he is an adult who is capable of making intelligent decisions for himself & his career, and further, if he is willing to accept whatever the ramifications of those decisions are (and that is also the case), then he belongs in the UFC. Someone needs to let BLAF know that his opinion on this matter is politically incorrect and that he is offending people by holding it. Is there a GLAAD for um, "differently abled" people? If so, one scathing article mentioning Dana's name & forwarded to Lorenza is all that is needed.
2/1/13 1:46 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^And honestly, if you are looking at some of America's top UFC-ready prospects out there on TV, Newell is on that list. IMO it's headlined by Chidi Njokuani, but he certainly seems to be top-10 from what I've seen of him.
2/1/13 2:31 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - 

High Fiv....

You realize he can still give high fives right?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.