UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> RIP Carlson Gracie Sr. : 7 Years

2/1/13 2:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
allthingsbjj phil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/09/13 1:37 PM
allthingsBJJ - Ultra Concentrated, BJJ Media

RIP 1932-2006

2/1/13 4:15 AM
spider guard
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had my fair share of success in competitions, but the dearest thing I hold to me was when I competed and Carlson coached me. My instructor was next to him and yelling also, but the truth is I really didn't hear anything he said. At the end of my match, he came up to me and slapped me on the chest and said "casca grossa". That was and still is the most dearest compliment I've ever heard. From that day on, whenever he saw me, he would call me casca grossa.

BTW, the comment that you just did better when he was there is so true. I don't know how to describe it, but you just didn't want to let the old man down. It's funny because he wasn't even my instructor (my instructor was a black belt of his) but he looked upon you as his own.
2/1/13 5:08 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EPIC video!!!
2/1/13 6:24 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I be there with bomb
2/1/13 7:11 AM
Randy "Stinks Like a Fart" Marsh
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was sweet ass sweet Phone Post
2/1/13 7:11 AM
LCSULLA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the three guys I wish I had trained with. When I heard he died...
2/1/13 8:42 AM
porra
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That video was really put together well.

I love how everyone remembers the same things...

TTT for Carlson Gracie! Phone Post
2/1/13 10:58 AM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train under a miguel torres bb and recently i got to sit and chat with miguel and he told me some of the funniest stories about master carlson. He will always be membered and cherished! WAR CARLSON!
2/1/13 11:08 AM
X_Rated
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spider guard - I've had my fair share of success in competitions, but the dearest thing I hold to me was when I competed and Carlson coached me. My instructor was next to him and yelling also, but the truth is I really didn't hear anything he said. At the end of my match, he came up to me and slapped me on the chest and said "casca grossa". That was and still is the most dearest compliment I've ever heard. From that day on, whenever he saw me, he would call me casca grossa.

BTW, the comment that you just did better when he was there is so true. I don't know how to describe it, but you just didn't want to let the old man down. It's funny because he wasn't even my instructor (my instructor was a black belt of his) but he looked upon you as his own.

awesome story

2/1/13 11:10 AM
matt murdock
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/1/13 11:26 AM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The world isn't the same without him. Thank god that he valiantly carried jiu jitsu on his back when nobody else could. Thankfully he revolutionized MMA and Jiu Jitsu. I'm not sure how many people know just how much they owe GM Carlson even if they aren't directly under his lineage. The impact he made on martial arts is permanent and we are better for it. I'm sure he is listening to some weird French music or Buena Vista social club and laughing at double guard pulls and the growing rule set of MMA.

Roll In Peace! Phone Post
2/1/13 11:36 AM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPSCtjzco7M

Blue please
2/1/13 11:58 AM
tmrfighter
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Without him a lot of us wouldn't be doing what we love today
2/1/13 12:21 PM
eric-burdo
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Mestre.
2/1/13 4:02 PM
Furacao
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spider guard - I've had my fair share of success in competitions, but the dearest thing I hold to me was when I competed and Carlson coached me. My instructor was next to him and yelling also, but the truth is I really didn't hear anything he said. At the end of my match, he came up to me and slapped me on the chest and said "casca grossa". That was and still is the most dearest compliment I've ever heard. From that day on, whenever he saw me, he would call me casca grossa.

Word brother! I remember that day and you leaving EVERYTHING on the mat for Carlson. Respect

2/1/13 5:55 PM
matt murdock
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any idea when part 2 might come out? This vid brought back fond memories for me.
2/1/13 6:12 PM
Tarado Safado
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my first bjj instructor was a Carlson Blackbelt and told me a funny story about Carlson

He said that one student had gotten a promotion to purple belt but then was forced to take an absence from training for work and was away for several months.

When the student returned to training, Carlson saw the student with his purple belt and had forgotten that he had promoted him. Carlson instantly went livid.

Carlson ran over and started yelling "Why do you wear this belt in here?!? Who told you to put this belt?!?" The student was horrified.

The other students who remembered the promotion ran over to placate Carlson and explain that he had in fact promoted the student before.

too funny
2/1/13 6:15 PM
marcovia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Total legend, Much respect, RIP
2/1/13 6:24 PM
ElPulpo

The only person in BJJ that I've ever wanted to meet. It saddens me that I'll never get that opportunity.

RIP Carlson.
2/1/13 9:48 PM
MickColins
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I scanned a bunch of those newspaper pics for Junior=p. Awesome video dude.

2/1/13 10:11 PM
EazyG

Edited: 02/01/13 10:30 PM
Great video.

I was fortunate to have trained under Carlson for four years in Chicago. He simply was a great teacher and friend. We were all so sad when he passed. Greatest person I ever knew. Greatest Gracie ever.

RIP my teacher and dear friend.
2/1/13 10:37 PM
EazyG

Who made that video? They captured Carlson so well.

It was great to see Colin, Rudy, Jay, Jeff, Junior and the others share their thoughts on Carlson.

You can see their love and respect for him and also their sense of loss with his passing.

I think Jay nailed it when he said that Carlson was there coaching you, somehow your jiu jitsu raised ro a higher level. Carlson had real confidence in his bjj and his students and it helped us have confidence in ourselves. Almost as if with Carlson supporting us, we could beat anyone.
2/1/13 11:48 PM
7 Dust

Glad we can talk about a real master of bjj! RIP!
2/2/13 12:51 AM
shen
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
2/2/13 2:28 AM
allthingsbjj phil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt murdock - Any idea when part 2 might come out? This vid brought back fond memories for me.

We should have the next part in the next 1-2 weeks. We had so much great footage from everyone that gave their time for the project, that we decided last minute to do more than one part  , it would be a shame not to.  I hope this made it worth it for everyone involved. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.