UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> RIP Carlson Gracie Sr. : 7 Years

2/2/13 11:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aaronlapoi
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great interviews by everyone involved. Carlson's Chicago students were very fortunate to have him so involved in their teaching by even demonstrating the techniques on a regular basis. Carlson could have a very intimidating presence, but once you got to know him you learned how to joke around with him and not be so moved by his criticism and requests.
2/2/13 2:40 PM
redwhiteandblues
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
2/2/13 8:57 PM
MickColins
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

2/2/13 8:58 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

always wondered why he chose chicago? anyone know?

2/2/13 9:00 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He son was living there since the mid or late 90's.
2/2/13 9:11 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt murdock - He son was living there since the mid or late 90's.

ahhh :)

how come jr went to chicago? did someone bring him over?

2/2/13 9:16 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jeff Neal (featured in the vid) brought JR to Chicago. I'm not sure how they linked up, but Jeff had been in the martial arts scene for a long time and is, I think, responsible for bring Carlson(s) to the city.
2/2/13 9:19 PM
nogidavid

matt murdock - Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jeff Neal (featured in the vid) brought JR to Chicago. I'm not sure how they linked up, but Jeff had been in the martial arts scene for a long time and is, I think, responsible for bring Carlson(s) to the city.

interesting history, thanks matt :)

2/2/13 11:26 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video! Phone Post
2/2/13 11:57 PM
shen
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I thought he only ate at Chipotle when he came to L.A.
--How little I knew!
2/3/13 12:20 AM
MickColins
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a pic of Carlson Sr. when he reffed professional soccer in Brazil. Doubt anyone flopped in those games.

Thats Carlos taking baby Carlson Sr. for a walk. Junior has a ton of cool photos.

2/3/13 5:25 PM
matt murdock

ttt
2/3/13 6:06 PM
porra
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt murdock - Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Jeff Neal (featured in the vid) brought JR to Chicago. I'm not sure how they linked up, but Jeff had been in the martial arts scene for a long time and is, I think, responsible for bring Carlson(s) to the city.
In the early 90's Jeff Neal traveled back and forth to California to train with Reylson Gracie and eventually got his blue belt. Around that time he had a school and was teaching BJJ and NHB.

As I understand it, Jeff and some students were at a judo tournament and one of his students (Carlos Rodriguez) ended up getting into a conversation with one of Jr/Sr's students who was coincidentally at the same tournament (Paulo Bezerra). Carlos speaks Portuguese and apparently was wearing a Brazil shirt...that's how the conversation started.

Paulo was then introduced to Jeff and mentioned that Jr had interest in leaving Florida and Jeff suggested he come to Chicago to open an academy with him.

The rest, as they say, is history. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:43 PM
nogidavid

awesome!

2/4/13 12:00 PM
MickColins

Ttt Phone Post
2/8/13 10:31 AM
mikecimm
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

part 2

2/8/13 11:27 AM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woke up this morning and first thing i did was look to see if this was posted. This whole series was truly amazing.
2/8/13 2:41 PM
deepu
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/8/13 4:00 PM
Daniel/CGJJ
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantastic part 2!!!

The Man will NOT be forgotten.

2/9/13 3:58 PM
MickColins

Ttt Phone Post
2/9/13 4:28 PM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does jeff call him carson? Phone Post
2/9/13 4:43 PM
porra
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cumprido1 - Why does jeff call him carson? Phone Post
When Brazilians say Carlson they usually don't pronounce it like Americans...i.e. carl-son.

They pronounce the r l differently...and it almost sounds like car-son.

When the Brazilians say it the "l" sound is there but just barely...

Jeff speaks a bit of Portuguese and has been to brazil...I assume he's just trying to say it like he heard other Brazilians say it.

Senior and junior never corrected anyone from saying Carl-son though... Phone Post
2/9/13 11:36 PM
ano8tsixxx
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome.

T T T
2/10/13 3:53 AM
joemasepoos
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome video !! Thanks for sharing !!
2/10/13 6:07 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

porra - 
cumprido1 - Why does jeff call him carson? Phone Post
When Brazilians say Carlson they usually don't pronounce it like Americans...i.e. carl-son.

They pronounce the r l differently...and it almost sounds like car-son.

When the Brazilians say it the "l" sound is there but just barely...

Jeff speaks a bit of Portuguese and has been to brazil...I assume he's just trying to say it like he heard other Brazilians say it.

Senior and junior never corrected anyone from saying Carl-son though... Phone Post

"Carson Grace!!!"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.