UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Anyone here into grip training?

2/1/13 7:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Blunderhooks
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently bought some Captains of Crush grippers and am starting to enjoy the challenge of getting the reps up on those things. I'm only on the sport and trainer models though - pretty weak so far!

Just curious if anyone here has gotten into it. There seems to be a whole subculture of grip enthusiasts out there which is somehow intriguing.

I was just watching a video on YouTube of a guy rolling up a frying pan with his bare hands. Actually he does it three times, one inside the other. That would be a fun trick to be able to pull out at a dinner party! Phone Post
2/1/13 11:12 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've trained on the Captains of Crush a fair bit. I can close the 2.5 with my right, 2 with my left. I've taken the 3 very very close but have never fully closed it. They are a fun challenge for sure.

There are many many ways to improve your performance on these. I have and recommend the book they sell on IronMind "Captains of Crush What they are and How to Close Them".......I may not be getting the title exactly right there lol.

Plate loadable Grip machines like the Go-Really and the Hearty-Handshake are great tools to help you as well. Especially the Hearty Handshake because it is most like an actual gripper. I'm not sure that they sell that model anymore though. I just built my own from their design for both machines anyway, much cheaper and no shipping costs.

The other grip tools they have on IronMind will help you too, the little IMtug grippers look like they would be good. Turning your regular grippers upside down and working your bottom two weaker fingers helps a lot. I like to put the guide and the sport or trainer together in one hand and close them at the same time.

The frying pan roll is cool. If you get the right pan its not as difficult as it seems either. Aluminum is a pretty soft metal so depending on the thickness and quality of the pan it can be pretty easy. I once went to scrap yard where they had a massive container of scrap aluminum frying pans and they let me practice rolling them as long as I left them there, they didnt care because they were being recycled anyway. It was a lot of fun and you learn quickly which ones are doable and which aren't.
2/1/13 2:38 PM
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Recently have brought forearm specific routines into my training with the specific goal to develop my grip. You're totally right about there being a subculture surrounding it, the more i research training methods and routines the more i learn about the groups of people who are totally devoted to it. While i could never imagine myself working up to closing some of the monster numbers in COC, I can still admire the dedication those guys have to improving themselves by setting those big goals.

Definite sub to learn more on what everyone is doing for their grip!
2/1/13 2:45 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use the COC grippers as part of my regular routine. I just add them in at the end of my regular strength days. ATM, this is all the grip training I do.

TAKU

2/1/13 3:33 PM
gatorlaw
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

COC for the win. I use a modified 3x5 routine three days per week. Phone Post
2/2/13 3:49 AM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a good one for supporting grips/traps:

start with a heavy kettlebell in each hand do 20 shrugs, hold them in place for 30 seconds, 15 shrugs, hold for 45 seconds, 10 shrugs, hold for 60 seconds. To be clear you never put the kettlebells down.

I also like wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with fatgrips
2/3/13 12:10 PM
dontpanic42
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like fat gripz as well as using COC grippers. Chinups/pullups with the fat gripz as well as farmer walks with them on the DB's has really helped my grip in MMA gloves. Doing Atlas Stone training has really helped my forearm/grip strength as well IMO though not exactly sure why...
2/4/13 8:18 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rock climbing has worked wonders for my grip. I like the CoC grippers. I have a T, #1, #2, but that really only works crushing grip at that single angle.
2/15/13 3:59 PM
ItsMillerTimeinDoBronx
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bizarre, I just created almost the EXACT same thread.

I, too, just bought a CoC gripper. I stated with the 1250 because I had no idea what I've already been training with (some shitty Harbinger thing for a sporting goods store), but, I like working the forearms and grip.
2/15/13 3:59 PM
ItsMillerTimeinDoBronx
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AdrianK - I've trained on the Captains of Crush a fair bit. I can close the 2.5 with my right, 2 with my left. I've taken the 3 very very close but have never fully closed it. They are a fun challenge for sure.

There are many many ways to improve your performance on these. I have and recommend the book they sell on IronMind "Captains of Crush What they are and How to Close Them".......I may not be getting the title exactly right there lol.

Plate loadable Grip machines like the Go-Really and the Hearty-Handshake are great tools to help you as well. Especially the Hearty Handshake because it is most like an actual gripper. I'm not sure that they sell that model anymore though. I just built my own from their design for both machines anyway, much cheaper and no shipping costs.

The other grip tools they have on IronMind will help you too, the little IMtug grippers look like they would be good. Turning your regular grippers upside down and working your bottom two weaker fingers helps a lot. I like to put the guide and the sport or trainer together in one hand and close them at the same time.

The frying pan roll is cool. If you get the right pan its not as difficult as it seems either. Aluminum is a pretty soft metal so depending on the thickness and quality of the pan it can be pretty easy. I once went to scrap yard where they had a massive container of scrap aluminum frying pans and they let me practice rolling them as long as I left them there, they didnt care because they were being recycled anyway. It was a lot of fun and you learn quickly which ones are doable and which aren't.

Whoa, that's hardcore.
2/16/13 5:30 AM
BryanH
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the COC trainer,1 and 1.5..keep them on my coffee table and just bust out a few reps watching tv a couple of times a week.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.