UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ed Soares: UFC Decides Who Andy Fights

2/1/13 10:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ED SOARES: WE RECOMMEND, BUT UFC ULTIMATELY CHOOSES ANDERSON SILVA'S OPPONENT

BY GEORGE GARCIA AND DANN STUPP ON FEB 01, 2013 AT 10:00 AM ET

LAS VEGAS – There's top middleweight contender Chris Weidman, and light heavyweight Rashad Evans also now is in the mix. Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold is a new option, and Hector Lombard isn't far behind in the pecking order. There's even former Strikeforce champ Cung Le and a host of challenges outside the division.

For UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC), a longtime titleholder who struggled to find suitable opponents just a few short years ago, the options never seemed so plentiful.

So you'll have to excuse his manager, Ed Soares, if he hasn't shied away from discussing them publicly. With Silva on the shelf since his October win over light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar, and with the champ anxious to book his next fight for this spring or early summer, Soares has spoken openly about the possibilities.

Weidman in Brazil? Rockhold for a champion-vs.-champion bout? A bout with Le after coaching assignments on "The Ultimate Fighter?" Why not, Soares said.

"Sometimes people ask me, and I just say what's on my mind at the time," Soares told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm just mentioning things. It's not like I'm stepping in there and demanding things from (UFC President) Dana (White). It's not that sort of relationship I have with them."

Silva, the most dominant fighter and biggest name in the sport today, obviously has some pull in the matchmaking process. That's why fans are quick to blame him and Soares for things, including the believed snubbing of undefeated contender Weidman, who's pining for a shot at the champ.
In fact, Soares said he ran into Weidman this past weekend at UFC on FOX 6 in Chicago, and the New Yorker mixed in some humor with his stump speech.

"He was pretty funny about it and said, 'I'll fight him in Brazil, and I'll even give Anderson a rematch in New York,'" he said.

Soares, though, said they offer the UFC input. But ultimately, they want everyone – UFC officials, included – on board with the choice of opponent.

"We suggest some things that we think, and they tell us what they think, and we try to find something that works for everyone," he said. "But at the end of the day – and it's not just with Anderson, but all of our athletes – we've always fought. They get in there and perform.

"Anderson has never chosen his opponent, never picked his opponent. Whoever the UFC put it front of him, he always accepted."

More Here

2/1/13 10:52 AM
Death Beast

Anderson needs to stop ducking me too
2/1/13 11:15 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Death Beast - Anderson needs to stop ducking me too

2/1/13 11:20 AM
suess
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but but but

2/1/13 11:29 AM
Chris_G

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Death Beast - Anderson needs to stop ducking me too

And Dude behind AS is Ducking to give a BJ.

2/1/13 11:29 AM
Daverr

so we are suppose to be surprised he's back peddling now?

2/1/13 11:33 AM
Gooner H Smith

Dude no matter what Anderson or anyone connected to him says, he's fucking ducking everyone. Haven't you realized by now that he's not the greatest ever and is afraid of everyone? He's been beating cans his whole career. Hell, he couldn't even finish Maia or Leites. He's a bum and should relinquish his belt.

Sorry, just wanted to get some of that out of the way early before the people who are serious about it start in. Phone Post
2/1/13 11:36 AM
Choochy
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gooner H Smith - Dude no matter what Anderson or anyone connected to him says, he's fucking ducking everyone. Haven't you realized by now that he's not the greatest ever and is afraid of everyone? He's been beating cans his whole career. Hell, he couldn't even finish Maia or Leites. He's a bum and should relinquish his belt.

Sorry, just wanted to get some of that out of the way early before the people who are serious about it start in. Phone Post
Why would he relinquish Chaels belt? Phone Post
2/1/13 11:45 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Daverr -
so we are suppose to be surprised he's back peddling now?

That's gonna be the troll angle on this one?

Call it back pedaling when it reiterates the same thing Ed and Dana have always said?

0/10 I expected better from you. Phone Post
2/1/13 12:42 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Ttt Phone Post
2/1/13 12:55 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Billytk - They "suggest" for sure and they also hint that if the UFC chooses someone they don't want to face then Anderson MAY have a nagging injury that will keep him out for a extended period of time
Can you source that CT for me please? Phone Post
2/1/13 2:23 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Billytk - They "suggest" for sure and they also hint that if the UFC chooses someone they don't want to face then Anderson MAY have a nagging injury that will keep him out for a extended period of time

2/1/13 2:28 PM
gpxxxtreme

I don't believe that. If Georges picked Nick to be his next opponent, obviously Anderson would have the pull to pick his opponent.
2/1/13 2:34 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Billytk - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

He's done it a few times, normally they are subtle about it but I recall hearing/reading it a couple of times. I could be wrong but I think when they were going to make the Henderson rematch was one of the times but honestly Soares gives so many excuses so often it's hard to keep them all straight

Excuses are not the same as accusing a camp of some type of extortion/bribary type of thing...where they pretend Anderson is injured to get what they want.

You think Dana FUCKING White and Lorenzo would tolerate that type of bullshit?

Source or GTFO with that bullshit.

2/1/13 2:36 PM
Daverr

dont compared the contenders at ww to mw

apples and oranges.

fans are happy either way at W, cause there are good fights

2/1/13 2:48 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

GSP actually avoided fighting the true #1 contender in favor of someone coming off a loss, and a 1 year suspension. Someone who's biggest win in the last 4 years was the LW BJ Penn at the tail end of his career. It is an easier fight for GSP.

Anderson has NOT actually avoided Weidman in favor of a lesser MW, they just asked Ed and he gave his opinions. Either Weidman or Rashad will get the next shot at the title, and it is up to Dana not Ed.

This is reality, accept it.

2/1/13 3:21 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

LMAO@ Glovegate here. You're funny.

I have NEVER, nor would I, try and calim Dana is lying in the above quotes. I believe 100% that Ed/Anderson talk some wierd shit and say tehy don't want to fight fighterXXX every time they negotiate with the UFC or discuss an upcoming fight. Never disputed that, never will. It is obvious that Anderson trolls and Ed trolls and they both have some interesting negotiating tactics.

If you dispute something in the post I made where you quoted "this is reality" I would love to hear about it. You agreed with what i wrote about GSP and his choices, so you must not agree with the other part. Please explain if you would.

Hope everything is going well at whatever you are doing today too.

Cheers, bro.

2/1/13 4:02 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 02/01/13 4:05 PM

"with Anderson saying he doesn't want to fight until next year and then taking a fight against an almost retired, sub top 10 fighter with little wrestling ability to save an event that doesn't need saving"

Um, you do realize that you are probably almost completely alone in thinking that right?

The main AND the co-main cancelled on virtually the same day.

Belfort vs Belcher was pulled so Belfort could face Jones.

Gabe Gonzaga vs Geronimo was also cancelled.

You are either being intentionally obtuse about this, or must have forgotten. The rest of the card would be FX worthy at BEST. Fitch Silva was likely the best fight left on the card....

2/1/13 4:02 PM
Death Beast

Anderson not wanting to fight guys that he already beat = ducking (Hendo/Chael right after he beat him)
Anderson fighting guys he already beat because that's who the UFC insists on him fighting = ducking new challengers
Anderson not wanting to fight guys that never fought in the UFC in his division = ducking (Belfort/soon to be Rashad)
Anderson going up in weight to fight bigger guys on relatively short notice = ducking his whole division
Anderson not going up in weight to fight the 205 champ since he doesn't want to be in that division fulltime = ducking (Machida/Jones)
Anderson trying to get a superfight with GSP that's been discussed for YEARS = ducking/bullying

Man this guy sure is a coward
2/1/13 4:05 PM
orcus

"It always happens. ‘I absolutely will not fight Chael Sonnen. He doesn’t deserve the title. I’m not doing this and I’m not doing that.’ This is what we do.”

Yes -- it always happens that he says that. And it also always happens that he signs the fight agreement and takes the fight. Which is why Dana himself said that Anderson has never ducked a fight or refused an opponent. Talk is talk, negotiations are negotiations, but Anderson in the end fights the opponent the UFC wants him to fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.