UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> music theory joke

2/1/13 4:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"C, E-flat, and G go into a bar. The bartender says, “Sorry, but we don’t serve minors.” So E-flat leaves, and C and G have an open fifth between them. After a few drinks, the fifth is diminished, and G is out flat. F comes in and tries to augment the situation, but is not sharp enough. D comes in and heads for the bathroom, saying, “Excuse me, I’ll just be a second.” Then A comes in, but the bartender is not convinced that this relative of C is not a minor. Then the bartender notices B-flat hiding at the end of the bar and says, “Get out! You’re the seventh minor I’ve found in this bar tonight.”

E-flat comes back the next night in a three-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender says, “You’re looking sharp tonight. Come on in, this could be a major development.” Sure enough, E-flat soon takes off his suit and everything else and is au natural.

Eventually C sobers up and realizes in horror that he’s under arrest. C is brought to trial, found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and is sentenced to 10 years of D.S. without Coda at an upscale correctional facility."
2/1/13 9:57 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is actually pretty damn funny. Nerds that may make us!

I know enough music theory to know where all the jokes are, without necessarily knowing if each one is "right" without doing more work than I wanna do. So... in for jman :-)
2/2/13 3:09 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha! I will never, ever be able to repeat this joke from memory.
2/2/13 4:53 PM
sreiter

das - first line is all you need

C, E b, G walk into a bar, bartender says "i'm not serving a minor"

anyone who knows even a little knows a flat 3rd is a minor chord
2/2/13 5:09 PM
sreiter

"So E-flat leaves, and C and G have an open fifth between them."

No III chord, gives you a 5th (C 5th)

"After a few drinks, the fifth is diminished, and G is out flat. "

Diminished chords are I, bIII, bV

"F comes in and tries to augment the situation, but is not sharp enough."

Augmented chords have a #V

"D comes in and heads for the bathroom, saying, “Excuse me, I’ll just be a second.” "

D is the 2nd note in Cmaj

"Then A comes in, but the bartender is not convinced that this relative of C is not a minor."

A is the relative minor of C (same notes in both scales)

"Then the bartender notices B-flat hiding at the end of the bar and says, “Get out! You’re the seventh minor I’ve found in this bar tonight.”"

B b is 7th note in the minor scale

"E-flat comes back the next night in a three-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender says, “You’re looking sharp tonight. Come on in, this could be a major development.” Sure enough, E-flat soon takes off his suit and everything else and is au natural."

1/2 step up (sharp) from E b is E natural . C, E, G is Cmaj
2/2/13 5:17 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn, laid it all out like voice-leading. Thanks, sreiter. I won't have ot think it through in detail ever, now!
2/2/13 9:54 PM
jman
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty funny, a bit long, but some really nice double entendre.

I just got the "Effortless Mastery" book this week, it even comes with a music CD for exercises (not sure what that is all about). It published by Jamey Ambersold, so that might explain things. I'm saving the video seminar you posted until after I read the book.

Music theory nerds unite!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.