UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> 50 50 position footlocks

2/1/13 5:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tarado Safado
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After the IBJJF instituted the knee reaping rules for foot locks, I had to abandon my tried and true knee reaping leg position for performing ankle locks.

My academy is fairly strict on this rule, so I am looking for another leg position to bring back some ankle locks into my game.

My old training partner and leg lock expert Stephan Kesting says that he thinks the legal foot lock leg position (inside knee bent and outside foot on hip) is not really effective. I have limited success with this leg formation myself.

I have seen some foot locks from 50-50 guard position. It seems that while this is a stable position to control ones opponent, he can also footlock you at least as well as you can on him. There are few tutorials that I have seen on this specific position. I searched Youtube and saw one by Cavaca - but it was short and not detailed.

I am wondering if someone can point me to a good video tutorial on this 50-50 footlock?
2/1/13 8:59 PM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anybody tried hooking behind the other person's knee with your butterfly hook? Someone showed me that a couple of years ago but I never really did much with it. One of our purple belts was complaining just this week about not being able to finish ankle locks on bigger guys, and I suggested she play around with it.
2/2/13 6:50 AM
Shemhazai
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

trianglegrrl - Has anybody tried hooking behind the other person's knee with your butterfly hook? Someone showed me that a couple of years ago but I never really did much with it. One of our purple belts was complaining just this week about not being able to finish ankle locks on bigger guys, and I suggested she play around with it.

Are you talking about from 50/50, or just using a butterfly hook type position to finish ankle locks?

I use a kind of butterfly hook, or really an X-guard hook, from 50/50 using my outside foot, making the ankle lock much stronger and preventing my opponent from ankle locking me. Buchecha teaches it as well.
2/2/13 9:37 AM
Muffinho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

trianglegrrl - Has anybody tried hooking behind the other person's knee with your butterfly hook? Someone showed me that a couple of years ago but I never really did much with it. One of our purple belts was complaining just this week about not being able to finish ankle locks on bigger guys, and I suggested she play around with it.

Thats how I finish achilles locks from 50/50. I attack the leg crossed over. My outside leg goes in as a hook on their knee/thigh, I put my other foot on the same hip. I scoot my butt closer to them and then use both feet to extend as I flex my shoulder and "deadlift" to finish.
2/2/13 10:11 AM
Shemhazai
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muffinho - 

Thats how I finish achilles locks from 50/50. I attack the leg crossed over. My outside leg goes in as a hook on their knee/thigh, I put my other foot on the same hip. I scoot my butt closer to them and then use both feet to extend as I flex my shoulder and "deadlift" to finish.

Yeah, that's what I do as well. I get it a lot from the kiss of the dragon as people try to sit over/turn into me. I like to get the butterfly/X-guard hook (hooking at the hip to begin with) before I enter the 50/50, so I'm never in a truly reciprocal position.
2/2/13 10:27 AM
Muffinho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shemhazai - 
Muffinho - 

Yeah, that's what I do as well. I get it a lot from the kiss of the dragon as people try to sit over/turn into me. I like to get the butterfly/X-guard hook (hooking at the hip to begin with) before I enter the 50/50, so I'm never in a truly reciprocal position.

Sometimes when I make a mistake on the berimbolo and get sucked into 50/50, I set this position up right away.

IMO it's the best finishing position that is bjj legal. The only time I won't use it is when I do the victor estima footlock, but I try to avoid doing that one because if I try it in training I might actually break someone's ankle.
2/2/13 11:02 AM
Shemhazai

I agree that it's the best finishing position. I also use that leg configuration with the same-side footlock (which Victor Estima does a lot), but I think cross footlocks will always be more powerful when you are only allowed to turn to the outside.
2/2/13 11:13 AM
Tarado Safado
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone point me to a Youtube video of these variations in action?
2/2/13 2:00 PM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to second a video request if one of y'all have time to shoot one. I'm having trouble picturing the hook footwork you are describing from the 50/50. Phone Post
2/2/13 3:57 PM
nogidavid
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some straight footlock ideas

2/2/13 4:37 PM
green_machine
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you guys saying that from the 5050 you are taking your free leg and hooking your opponent's trapped leg behind the knee? That's what I'm picturing but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:47 PM
Muffinho

Yes. I put the other foot, the trapped one, on the hip and use it to extend.
2/3/13 10:08 AM
Shemhazai

We're talking about the same foot placement as in nogidavid's video, just with the opponent's foot passed across the body for a cross footlock.

What's also nice about having this hook with the outside foot is that if he ever tries to attack your inside foot with a straight ankle lock of his own, pushing off with your hook will give you better leverage to pull your attacked foot free (provided you turn your heel into his ribs) and put it back on his hip.
2/3/13 11:03 AM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shemhazai - We're talking about the same foot placement as in nogidavid's video, just with the opponent's foot passed across the body for a cross footlock.

What's also nice about having this hook with the outside foot is that if he ever tries to attack your inside foot with a straight ankle lock of his own, pushing off with your hook will give you better leverage to pull your attacked foot free (provided you turn your heel into his ribs) and put it back on his hip.

Yeah, this is exactly it. I haven't played with it much but I'm going to start.

Thanks for the videos and the discussion. Awesome thread is awesome.
2/3/13 11:18 AM
Muffinho

It's also very easy to take their back from that footlock position, but I don't think there is a video describing how, and I certainly can't describe it.
2/4/13 12:17 PM
Tarado Safado

thanks for posting this vid, will give it a look

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.