UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP chews out stupid fan, in French

2/1/13 5:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was fulfilling media duties recently ahead of his fight with former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz at UFC 158 on March 16, when a dork in leather jacket asked: "Will you KO your opponent or only do the minimum to beat him?"

Video of the exchange was recently released.

GSP to dork (which UGer is this?): "It's not easy in the cage, you probably never did fight someone in the cage, you should try it yourself."

Later GSP explained his remarks.

"These are the kind of people that have a big mouth but probably can't even fight," said the champion." They don't know anything, they eat popcorn, with a Coca-Cola and a chocolate bar, they like to complain, but they don't know how hard it is to KO someone in the Octagon. It's easy to say 'I will knock someone you,' but in fact, it is very hard to do."

2/1/13 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRaider
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stupid fan is stupid.
2/1/13 6:01 PM
Barbalos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You eat popcorn; your opinion is invalid.
2/1/13 6:05 PM
2Fort
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good lord what a dumb fucking question that guy asked GSP....
2/1/13 6:05 PM
Gabriel Verdon

Slow news day on the UG.
2/1/13 6:06 PM
MartialArtsMixed
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This from over a week ago Phone Post
2/1/13 6:07 PM
Letibleu
1696 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you already did this story, in color.

2/1/13 6:09 PM
xXJayRobXx
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a dick. Phone Post
2/1/13 6:11 PM
vaginal tear
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do like popcorn. Not so big on soda or chocolate though. I hope he can respect me now. Phone Post
2/1/13 6:14 PM
Ew0k187

boxy - Didn't listen to the interview, but if the fan actually asked that, it was a great question.

He should ask Clay Guida the same question.
This Phone Post
2/1/13 6:16 PM
FortyKoatz

popcorn eating fool.
2/1/13 6:18 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's my only problem it seems like just about every top tier UFC fighter scores good knock out every now and then... GSP either can't or just doesn't want to take the chance to go for it. I think it was a stupid question by the fan at that time , but I do think it's a valid question some other time Phone Post
2/1/13 6:18 PM
D241

vaginal tear -  I do like popcorn. Not so big on soda or chocolate though. I hope he can respect me now. Phone Post

You've been funny as hell lately. Voted up

2/1/13 6:22 PM
vsc

ChokeEmOut - Popcorn and Chocolate bar eating fan or not, GSP doesn't fight to finish. He is true French and will do the absolute minimum no matter what.

Other people have no issues getting the KO, just GSP apparently.
I'd hate to see GSP really exert himself then, if his bare minimum is leaving his opponents a bloody mess. Phone Post
2/1/13 6:28 PM
JOESONDO
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For GSP it isn't lack of effort. He's a hard worker both in the fight and training. The trouble is he's been risk averse since he got knocked out. Knocking people out and submitting people involves risk and he doesn't seem that comfortable with it anymore. That being said, his last fight with Condit was pretty good. He didn't finish but pushed the pace more than he has in the past. Trouble is he almost got knocked out which may shut down any thoughts of fighting exciting in the future.
2/1/13 6:30 PM
R1WARRIOR

boxy - Didn't listen to the interview, but if the fan actually asked that, it was a great question.

^ It's pretty clear that he touch a very sensible cord here. A real champion finish his fights, a real fighter go in there to fight! A fight avoider..... and win by decision.

I'm still a fan of Georges, i'm from Mtl, met him a few times, he's a nice guy etc... But he lost his killer instinct a long time ago (Serra), and now he's just going for the decision. Amazing athlete, but not a real fighter.
That fan knew what he was doing! lol
2/1/13 6:31 PM
redrum85
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Typical UGer for sure Phone Post
2/1/13 7:02 PM
Jaybrone
523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xXJayRobXx -  What a dick. Phone Post

But what did he say that was wrong? 

2/1/13 7:06 PM
Jaybrone
523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has never had devestating KO power. He isn't exactly known for it. His stoppages came from mauling on top. This isn't going to change.

2/1/13 7:07 PM
JayBRO

Anyone who compares Clay Guidas style to GSPs is a douche like the guy asking the question. Clay gets on top, buries his head in the guys chest, never postures up and never throws a punch more that 5% power. He literally tries to just hold the guy down. George's actually goes for passes, submissions and he is pretty damn effective with his ground and pound. Take a look at the faces of the guys he's bet after the fight. Fitch, Alves, Koscheck, etc. Phone Post
2/1/13 7:10 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1791 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*eyes popcorn gif longingly*

2/1/13 7:34 PM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barbalos - You eat popcorn; your opinion is invalid.

lol.
2/1/13 7:34 PM
Trick or Truth
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

R1WARRIOR - 
boxy - Didn't listen to the interview, but if the fan actually asked that, it was a great question.

^ It's pretty clear that he touch a very sensible cord here. A real champion finish his fights, a real fighter go in there to fight! A fight avoider..... and win by decision.

I'm still a fan of Georges, i'm from Mtl, met him a few times, he's a nice guy etc... But he lost his killer instinct a long time ago (Serra), and now he's just going for the decision. Amazing athlete, but not a real fighter.

I totally agree, I mean anyone who steps into the cage to take on the best guys in the world definitely isn't a fighter.
2/1/13 7:38 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

R1WARRIOR - 

Yup. GSP knows the guys question, though it stings, was legitimate. GSP has said himself a decision win isn't clean. He really seems to have some cognitive dissonance going on. He knows what he's doing is playing it safe and not a clean way to win. He knows he's being too conservative but he's too afraid to fight for finishes with as much frequency as other fighters, even though he knows as well as everyone else they're more legitimate. The whole "Oh, it's so hard. These guys are just so tough." thing just doesn't fly because other, supposedly lesser fighters, finish most of their opponents. Other fighters who aren't just popcorn eating, soda drinking coach potatoes have made criticisms (Lauzon, Diaz, Florian, etc.) I think GSP knows the excuses are BS and that's why he's frustrated with the fan, who wasn't even being rude, just asking a simple question. GSP knows a martial artist is supposed to be able to finish off opponents consistently.

GSP was one of my all-time favorite fighters and one of the few I was a genuine nuthugger of for the longest time but I just can't support that sort of point-emphatic strategy anymore. He's dominant at what he does, a control-based victory focused on doing just enough to win every round and take the decision, but he's not that dominant as a fighter/martial artist where finishing matters. If he was he'd be finishing people left and right instead of holding the longest streak of any UFC champion going without a finish.
2/1/13 9:07 PM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chiron - 
R1WARRIOR - 

Yup. GSP knows the guys question, though it stings, was legitimate. GSP has said himself a decision win isn't clean. He really seems to have some cognitive dissonance going on. He knows what he's doing is playing it safe and not a clean way to win. He knows he's being too conservative but he's too afraid to fight for finishes with as much frequency as other fighters, even though he knows as well as everyone else they're more legitimate. The whole "Oh, it's so hard. These guys are just so tough." thing just doesn't fly because other, supposedly lesser fighters, finish most of their opponents. Other fighters who aren't just popcorn eating, soda drinking coach potatoes have made criticisms (Lauzon, Diaz, Florian, etc.) I think GSP knows the excuses are BS and that's why he's frustrated with the fan, who wasn't even being rude, just asking a simple question. GSP knows a martial artist is supposed to be able to finish off opponents consistently.

GSP was one of my all-time favorite fighters and one of the few I was a genuine nuthugger of for the longest time but I just can't support that sort of point-emphatic strategy anymore. He's dominant at what he does, a control-based victory focused on doing just enough to win every round and take the decision, but he's not that dominant as a fighter/martial artist where finishing matters. If he was he'd be finishing people left and right instead of holding the longest streak of any UFC champion going without a finish.

The guy said something about using a minimum amount of effort. Its not so much the guys question (which to be fair has been asked a thousand times. We all know GSP has a hard time finishing his opponents but that doesnt take away that hes a stud and no one has been able to beat him in quite a while) but how the question was phrased. Its insulting to suggest that not only did he not give 100% his effort towards finishing a fight, he did the bare minimum required within a fight.

The "fan" was clearly being a douchebag because he knows GSP is a class act and wouldnt strike him. Its the equivalent of a high schooler who stands at 5' talkin shit to someone way bigger because the little shit knows he has 6 of this buddies around him to back him up....in this case the "fan" has the protection of cameras and witnesses. Hes a chump-nobody talking shit to a world champion who has reigned as champ of his division for years.

So whether GSP is not all that exciting or doesnt finish his opponents whatever, the fact remains that he doesnt do it by sitting on his ass doing just enough to get by.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.