UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How well did Eddie Bravo do in wrestling?

2/1/13 10:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
misterw
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard him say in interviews that he hardly ever got takedowns.

But I'm guessing that he was pretty nasty at riding legs, and that can certainly give many wrestlers (especially in high school) trouble. Maybe he pinned or tech falled everyone once he finally got on top.

Just curious how things worked out for him in wrestling, as his wrestling skills certainly translated well to jiu jitsu.

Anyone? Eddie?
2/1/13 11:17 PM
hybridfc
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont have any answers for you, but I would live to see footage of his brief wrestling days. Bet he was an industrious little fucker. Phone Post
2/1/13 11:20 PM
ZzFDKzZ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
2/1/13 11:35 PM
ken amtrack

He learned the twisty then built an empire of crack head trucks..then Joe saw his greatness and taught him baby monkey Phone Post
2/1/13 11:37 PM
Porkchop

He developed an entire jiu jitsu system that started with how to attack when you are stuck on your back.

You tell me how you think he did.
2/1/13 11:40 PM
xsrg95
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/2/13 1:12 AM
misterw
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/2/13 1:29 AM
OmegaPoon
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what ive seen Eddies game usually revolved around letting his opponent get to half guard so he could sweep and go from there Phone Post
2/2/13 1:29 AM
I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

I think I remember him mentioning his lack of wrestling skills on the jre. Phone Post
2/2/13 1:40 AM
misterw

I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo -  I think I remember him mentioning his lack of wrestling skills on the jre. Phone Post

takedown skills, he was talking about. strong mat skills can make up for a shortcoming in that area.
2/2/13 1:53 AM
Wicked smahtMF

horrible tackle&pin'er
2/2/13 3:39 AM
EddieBravo
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, www.thetwister.tv
My takedown game was and still is like the chupacabra, it doesn't exist. My wrestling was all based on sprawling, cross facing and leg riding. I got 1 takedown in 2 years of wrestling. Dan Gable never takes my calls. Phone Post
2/2/13 3:44 AM
LShaman

EddieBravo -  My takedown game was and still is like the chupacabra, it doesn't exist. My wrestling was all based on sprawling, cross facing and leg riding. I got 1 takedown in 2 years of wrestling. Dan Gable never takes my calls. Phone Post

Only because he is a man who can not accept defeat!
2/2/13 4:20 AM
I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

EddieBravo - My takedown game was and still is like the chupacabra, it doesn't exist. My wrestling was all based on sprawling, cross facing and leg riding. I got 1 takedown in 2 years of wrestling. Dan Gable never takes my calls. Phone Post
Didn't you mention this on a JRE episode, at one point? I swear I remember that. Phone Post
2/2/13 7:40 AM
ken amtrack

Is Cross facing the same as mean mugging Nick Diaz is really good at it but in wrestling I would think it could agitate your opponent..Leg riding doesn't sound cool either seems like a technique issue to me Phone Post
2/2/13 9:09 AM
ken amtrack

So Eddie was a wrestler once with the handle of "The chupacabra" and his gimmick was he did not exist kinda a twist on the undertakers back story...alrighty..wonder why that didn't work out Phone Post
2/2/13 2:48 PM
EddieBravo
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope, no blown knee, I was afraid to take shots for fear of losing teeth plus the only explosion I ever had came from my meat bayonet, not from my hips Phone Post
2/2/13 3:10 PM
Twister Trent
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EddieBravo - Nope, no blown knee, I was afraid to take shots for fear of losing teeth plus the only explosion I ever had came from my meat bayonet, not from my hips Phone Post
How long did you wrestle? Phone Post
2/2/13 3:47 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Twister Trent -
EddieBravo - Nope, no blown knee, I was afraid to take shots for fear of losing teeth plus the only explosion I ever had came from my meat bayonet, not from my hips Phone Post
He said 2 years Phone Post
2/2/13 4:30 PM
EddieBravo

Derek is a brown belt of mine and is an excellent instructor. I go to 10th Planet Omaha once every 8 months or so, been there about 6 times, I'll be there Feb 23 to teach a seminar. 10th Planet Omaha is always a major force at local tourneys, look into Derek's top 2 students, Ant Lopez and Matt Hester, find out how they do in the Omaha tournament scene :) Phone Post
2/2/13 5:09 PM
Twister Trent
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlexanderTheGOAT -
Twister Trent -
He said 2 years Phone Post
Ah, thank you. Phone Post
2/2/13 5:34 PM
Macedawgg
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bravo is a gifted teacher--no question about it. 

Teaches across multiple senses at once, so you learn progressions much faster.  Each technique is broken into multiple parts, each part in a sequence is named.

As to wrestling--I think for the vast majority, his plan is correct. 

At 18, 20, 25, whatever age you are--if you aren't a Division I caliber wrestler--you never will be.  You aren't ever going to out-wrestle those guys.  Better have something to fall back on. 

He always encouraged anyone to supplement their wrestling, but that wasn't his focus.  For the vast majority of us, this is correct, no?

Very, very few of us are a GSP.

2/2/13 5:38 PM
elitecmbt
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really, meat bayonet? I know your Eddie fucking Bravo but you sure its not a meat dagger? Phone Post
2/5/13 10:16 PM
EddieBravo

Macedawg knows my philosophy well but I have injected more wrestling into my curriculum over the last year, so my teaching has evolved quite a bit since the early 2000's :-) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.