UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> De la Riva Basic Sweep Video

2/2/13 1:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gerbiljiujitsu
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/13 1:06 AM

De la Riva can be a great position to set up sweeps or transition to the back.  It's appearance in the tournament scene recently has made it very popular.

In this video I show a very basic De La Riva sweep from Combat Base.  A lot of white belts fail to see that one knee up in the middle can lead to some great De la Riva oppertunities.  This particular set up preps people to see De la Riva opportunities while also allowing them to practice sweeps without the danger of falling on their face.  By setting up your sweeps this way they are both easy, efficient and safe.

First of all we need to make space behind my opponents knee for my foot.  A good player will make sure to suck up all the space behind that knee by staying in a tight ball.  It's easy to create that space by getting two grips (I prefer two sleeve grips) and pushing on the other knee.  It's important that when you push on the knee that's on the floor your other leg is waiting "at the door" behind the knee so that when the space opens up your foot can slide in there easily.

Now that you have threaded your foot behind the knee it's time to sit up.  When you sit up you will drop your threaded leg straight to the floor and replace it with your arm.  The arm, when it reaches through, should grab palm towards you inside your opponents lapel (reference the video).  This grip is VERY strong and easy to get.

Once you have taken control of your opponents lapel it's time to dump them on their face.  This can be extremely easy to do as they will be stuck in that crouched position.   You can use your shoulder and a shucking motion combined with swinging your lugs under your opponent to dump them towards their face

Once your opponent falls on their face it's time to transition all the way around to the back or transition to another dominate position.

This video only shows one option, I have a second option that leads straight into a leg drag which I will post shortly.  I like the second option more because it does not rely on having the far side grip on my opponents lapel and it takes me into a leg drag which is a lot easier transition to side control.
2/2/13 1:07 AM
Gerbiljiujitsu
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for iphone users

2/2/13 8:21 AM
shortyjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great sweep. I also like to feed their sleeve into my hand rather than the lapel, and then grab the lapel with the other hand and dump in the same way.

Good details!
2/2/13 11:46 AM
JESK
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ltr Phone Post
2/2/13 12:39 PM
Gerbiljiujitsu

shortyjj - great sweep. I also like to feed their sleeve into my hand rather than the lapel, and then grab the lapel with the other hand and dump in the same way.

Good details!

That version is much more powerful but I find harder to get (not saying hard to get, just harder).

This version I find is higher percentage but only based on the fact that the setup is easier and fails less.

If I have a choice between the two grips, my preference is the arm and lapel like you're talking about.  The good news is this grip feeds into a really slick second option that I'm going to post on Tuesday. 

2/2/13 1:08 PM
Stubjj844
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man. Seriously, pretty much everything you post, I use.
2/2/13 6:14 PM
jjp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I try to use pretty much everything he posts, too....Well, at least I will start using it again on Wednesday morning. ;-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.