UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why does the HW div have a upper weight limit?

2/2/13 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im still in for a cruiser weight and then a capaless heavyweight div.

2/2/13 1:56 PM
Doem
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/13 1:55 PM
was there ever a big talent pool above 265? I think you would be dealing with a lot of big strong folks but not a whole lot of technique.
2/2/13 2:05 PM
shaqitup
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mxmma - I bet people might be suprised to see it but i bet a 300 pound guy could win the heavyweight title if there were no cap, like a nfl style athlete or even a heavier collegiate wrestler could pull it off. I say shorten the bouts to three minute rounds for heavyweights as well to provide more action imo.

a 300 pound "NFL style athlete", usually has a lot of fat on him.

If they were in fighting shape they would weigh significantly less than that and could easily make the weight limit.

The only reason to be above that weight is if a guy is like 6'8 and ripped or a 7 footer like Schilt.

a 265 limit makes the big guys watch their weight, I would rather see bigfoot stay in shape to make the 265 cut, than come in weighing 300.

A close to 300 lb man could also potentially make the weight. There are a lot of guys in smaller divisions that cut 20+ pounds, i have no knowledge of weight cutting, but i would assume a bigger guy can generally cut more weight just based on body percentages.

Even so, you have guys coming in weight 280-285 like lesnar, bigfoot etc.

2/2/13 2:12 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Morris -
jasonhightower -
BKViper - What they need is the 225 Cruiser weight division (before we need 115 Dana) and then take the cap off HW. Phone Post
This! Phone Post
This is the correct answer. Phone Post
This. And it would make it easier for 205 fighters on the larger side to transition up. Division would be stacked. Phone Post
2/2/13 2:18 PM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/13 2:35 PM
G
2/2/13 4:01 PM
DezzNutzz
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wicked smahtMF - insert <not sure if serious> gif
Phone Post
2/2/13 4:02 PM
shady lane
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael is the next LHW champ - I agree they need to get rid of the 265lbs limit.

Im sure there are guys that physically couldnt cut to 265lbs. For example, what if one of those 6'8'' 350lbs guys in those strong man competitions (or someone with the same build) wanted to fight and had the physical ability and cardio to compete?

It would make the HW division a lot more interesting
Exactly!

The UFC could potentially miss out on a Andre the Giant or Big Show type slugger deciding that MMA is the future. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:12 PM
Thacommish
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_buchu8oolong - 
Mike Morris -
jasonhightower -
BKViper - What they need is the 225 Cruiser weight division (before we need 115 Dana) and then take the cap off HW. Phone Post
This! Phone Post
This is the correct answer. Phone Post
This. And it would make it easier for 205 fighters on the larger side to transition up. Division would be stacked. Phone Post

iuno man lhw seems in pretty dire need of a new set of contenders seems like if you were to cannibalize the division itd be jon jones vs a lot more mws in the future
2/2/13 4:30 PM
UGCKIRTT_SonofJockstrap
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butterbean vs JDS, let's make it happen

2/2/13 5:48 PM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Chael is the next LHW champ - I agree they need to get rid of the 265lbs limit.

Im sure there are guys that physically couldnt cut to 265lbs. For example, what if one of those 6'8'' 350lbs guys in those strong man competitions (or someone with the same build) wanted to fight and had the physical ability and cardio to compete?

It would make the HW division a lot more interesting

1 3 1 1 3...sick! 1 1 3 1 3
2/2/13 5:57 PM
Gormandized

HW has become an arms race in MMA ans boxing, Ali fought at 210 FFS. Both sports need to bring it down, anyone who cant make 230, tough go and do something else. Phone Post
2/2/13 7:46 PM
knuckleballs

They should up the limit. Imagine if Big foot couldn't make 265, but was obviously very talented? Wouldn't that be fucking lame, that simply because he's big, he's not allowed to fight against the best big guys?

Or, imagine Bob Sapp won the Pride title back in the day. It wouldn't have been far-fetched. He smashed the world's best HW kickboxer (twice), and gave Big Nog all he could handle. Imagine, then, if Dana wouldn't have been allowed to bring the Pride champ to the UFC? We'd all be outraged!!!!

This will be an issue sometime in the future.

At minimum, I think they should up it to 285.
2/2/13 8:13 PM
mxmma

The ufc wants to go lighter and lighter but i think a shw division would be entertaining and eventually develop a new talent pool of bigger guys. And one day soon that champ would smoke the ufc heavyweight champ if they fought. Trust me 240 is not the perfect baddest man on the planet fighting weight, I believe its a in shape 300lbs guy who could be the real baddest man on the planet.
2/2/13 8:17 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1540 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's to keep bob sapp from becoming the UFC champion of course. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.