UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW-Rousey'll get greatest coverage in UFC history

2/2/13 12:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche on February 23, 2013 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey will face challenger Liz Carmouche. Some fans criticized the decision to have Rousey headline a card with Dan Henderson on it.

UFC president Dana White has previously explained that the champion always headlines a card, and that he heard the same criticism of the lightweight division, which is now accepted by everyone everywhere, except, maybe, the UG.

In a recent interview, White offered another response to the 'dorks.'

"Right now we haven't even started promoting that fight," said White. "In the lead up to this fight, you're going to see coverage of Ronda Rousey like this sport has never seen. She's going to be everywhere. The Los Angeles Times has been following her for about a month and she's going to be getting a front page story. HBO Real Sports just got done shooting her, Time Magazine, everyone. The list goes on-and-on. The list of media sources that are going to covering this, no fighter in the history of UFC will have the kind of coverage Ronda will have.

"Nobody ever, if you look at all the guys like Chuck Liddell, Tito, Matt Hughes, nobody in the history of this sport has brought attention to the sport like Ronda Rousey will leading up to that fight. The mainstream media she'll be pulling is ridiculous. Just the story in Forbes , she's being put in the company of Durant, LeBron James and Tom Brady. That's what these dorks on the Internet don't see."

2/2/13 12:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
soremano
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

loving it

waronda

2/2/13 12:09 PM
CDarwin
675 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm so hard right now... Phone Post
2/2/13 12:35 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Good for her.
2/2/13 12:37 PM
wink91wink

Comparing Ronda Rousey to Kevin Durant, Lebron James, and Tom Brady is the most laughable, ignorant thing I have ever heard.
2/2/13 12:42 PM
thegreenroom
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, let me rephrase. I hope one punch doesn't derail her rise.

With all this hype she is gonna have a huge target on her back. Putting all of Women's mma eggs in one basket might backfire.... Phone Post
2/2/13 12:46 PM
FJJ828

Edited: 02/02/13 12:47 PM

2/2/13 12:49 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that Rousey can do great things for the sport, but she's no Durant, Lebron or Brady. 

If the UFC pays her 18 million per year and she makes another 40 million from endorsements then she's in that league.

2/2/13 12:51 PM
Sofa King Cool
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol.

Awesome. Phone Post
2/2/13 12:53 PM
Barbalos

I'm sure it will be just as successful as the WNBA.
2/2/13 12:59 PM
BeatonHauff
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol I bet she gets booed lole Rory Phone Post
2/2/13 1:06 PM
Haulport

Man I wish I could find the thread where I said EXACTLY this. The mainstream media will eat this up and Dana and Lorenzo think that will help them (it won't because most people who will hear about it don't care to watch women beat the shit out of each other).

2/2/13 1:15 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TOAO -  Shes not even that exciting of a fighterm I cant wait for her to get popped for peds Phone Post

Don't hold your breath waiting on that one.

2/2/13 1:21 PM
PrettyBoy
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I yawned just reading what Dana said. I've never seen Dana white knight a fighter who has never fought in the UFC so vigorously... It's almost like they are fucking... Phone Post
2/2/13 1:24 PM
Mufasatheking

Haulport - 

Man I wish I could find the thread where I said EXACTLY this. The mainstream media will eat this up and Dana and Lorenzo think that will help them (it won't because most people who will hear about it don't care to watch women beat the shit out of each other).

Its not "women beat the shit out of each other", its "Ronda getting an armbar in a minute".

Very quick finishes can get boring pretty fast.
2/2/13 1:38 PM
Van Terminator
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure Honda will do well on all the chat shows the UFC books her on, but I'm not convinced it'll make any difference to the PPV numbers.

Women's sports just don't seem to make money.
2/2/13 1:40 PM
Brice W
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and then Cyborg knocks her out and all is forgotten. If they ever decide to make that fight...
2/2/13 1:54 PM
BRZ

Good for Ronda and the UFC Phone Post
2/2/13 3:22 PM
kevsh
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"In the lead up to this fight, you're going to see coverage of Ronda Rousey like this sport has never seen. She's going to be everywhere."

Oh for the love of humanity please no.
I think I'm going to hibernate until it's over.
2/2/13 3:35 PM
Shanks V3.1
426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - "In the lead up to this fight, you're going to see coverage of Ronda Rousey like this sport has never seen. She's going to be everywhere."

Oh for the love of humanity please no.
I think I'm going to hibernate until it's over.

agreed. people who are fairly indifferent about rousey and/or wmma (like myself) are gonna be bombarded with this shit any time we try to interact with a ufc product...and its gonna make them hate it rather than than be apathetic.

bad form.
2/2/13 3:59 PM
3 strikes
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DFW is being a prostitute for Traditional Media coverage, so much that he is willing to hand out belts that were never properly earned and supposedly "build" a female division that he never even believed in the first place. The UFC is so blatantly rooting for Rousey to win that it makes me sick and I wish Liz Carmouche the best in this fight since she has all the odds stacked against her

- A nice big FU to the UFC, sincerely.
2/2/13 4:02 PM
hotrod2424

So we should be expecting a sex tape soon. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:09 PM
UGSlapshot

Immaculata - Good for her.
Good for mma as well. New media avenues are always welcome and I'm sure all of the hardcore fans who keep up with mma news will get sick of hearing about her but this is a good thing, put up with the hype because its helping mma grow. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:13 PM
le

You can polish a turd, but it's still a piece of crap. Phone Post
2/2/13 4:16 PM
Haulport

UGSlapshot - 
Immaculata - Good for her.
Good for mma as well. New media avenues are always welcome and I'm sure all of the hardcore fans who keep up with mma news will get sick of hearing about her but this is a good thing, put up with the hype because its helping mma grow. Phone Post

It won't help one iota. We are missing out on a good headline fight so Lorenzo and Dana can indulge in their fantasy that because a whole bunch of media outlets that don't care about MMA will pick it up then a whole bunch of new fans will come on board. It is nonsense:

1. Most of these outlets don't cater to a demo that wouled EVER purchase a PPV or watch an event

2. There is almost NO INTEREST in the mainstream to watch women play sports and especially not beat the shit out of each other.

So they can have fun with all their interviews and watch the 2013 PPV buys go down just like how they LOST 700,000 overall PPV buys in 2012 (2011 = 6.4mill and 2012 = 5.7mill)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.