UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW-Rousey'll get greatest coverage in UFC history

2/2/13 4:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JeffersonDArcyChoke
298 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Liz could pull a Seth Petruzelli, Dana's meltdown will make $kala's look tame by comparison.

If Ronda loses, Dana will no show the press conference and be surly for a month.

Of course that won't happen as John Cena has a better chance of being booked to beat the Rock cleanly at WrestleMania.

The Rousey fight is so bullshit that it means a 2 minute arm bar exhibition followed by Dana taunting Cyborg.

But if Liz could strike the Powerball?

Holy fuck.

I think Tim Sylvia would no longer be the only UFC man to poop his pants. Phone Post
2/2/13 5:24 PM
kevsh
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many moons again a certain Vincent McMahon Jr. believed an Elvis impersonator would be good for his WWF business. So he brought in a wrestler called The Honky Tonk Man who proceeded to play guitar and swivel his hips before every match.

Needless to say it didn't go very well. When the fans booed it wasn't because they love to hate him like, say, a Roddy Piper, they booed the same way they would a bad comedian - as in, get off the stage.

Perhaps due to ego or a bad bet with a colleague, instead of shelving this disaster McMahon kept pushing the Honky Tonk Man even more - up to and including winning a major title that he held for well over a year.

Back to present day I wonder if Dana is doing the same with Ronda. Sure there are plenty of WMMA fans and plenty of Rousey fans, but throwing her into a main event smells to me like the UFC is basically force feeding her to us.

The bigger concern is what if the PPV numbers are bad, is the UFC going to re-evaluate and build WMMA up slowly, or will Dana pull a Vince and keep throwing Rousey at us no matter how much we boo?
2/2/13 5:25 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com

2/2/13 5:25 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know I am fucking stoked that women's mma is finally making inroads to the UFC, but holy shit has dana got a hardon for honda
2/2/13 5:28 PM
Barbalos

kevsh - Many moons again a certain Vincent McMahon Jr. believed an Elvis impersonator would be good for his WWF business. So he brought in a wrestler called The Honky Tonk Man who proceeded to play guitar and swivel his hips before every match.

Needless to say it didn't go very well. When the fans booed it wasn't because they love to hate him like, say, a Roddy Piper, they booed the same way they would a bad comedian - as in, get off the stage.

Perhaps due to ego or a bad bet with a colleague, instead of shelving this disaster McMahon kept pushing the Honky Tonk Man even more - up to and including winning a major title that he held for well over a year.

Back to present day I wonder if Dana is doing the same with Ronda. Sure there are plenty of WMMA fans and plenty of Rousey fans, but throwing her into a main event smells to me like the UFC is basically force feeding her to us.

The bigger concern is what if the PPV numbers are bad, is the UFC going to re-evaluate and build WMMA up slowly, or will Dana pull a Vince and keep throwing Rousey at us no matter how much we boo?

I am offended on behalf of The Honky Tonk Man.
2/2/13 6:13 PM
UGSlapshot

Haulport -
UGSlapshot - 
Immaculata - Good for her.
Good for mma as well. New media avenues are always welcome and I'm sure all of the hardcore fans who keep up with mma news will get sick of hearing about her but this is a good thing, put up with the hype because its helping mma grow. Phone Post

It won't help one iota. We are missing out on a good headline fight so Lorenzo and Dana can indulge in their fantasy that because a whole bunch of media outlets that don't care about MMA will pick it up then a whole bunch of new fans will come on board. It is nonsense:

1. Most of these outlets don't cater to a demo that wouled EVER purchase a PPV or watch an event

2. There is almost NO INTEREST in the mainstream to watch women play sports and especially not beat the shit out of each other.

So they can have fun with all their interviews and watch the 2013 PPV buys go down just like how they LOST 700,000 overall PPV buys in 2012 (2011 = 6.4mill and 2012 = 5.7mill)

You are obviously wrong, if there was zero interest in Ronda Rousey they wouldn't be covering her, period.

My 10 year old has always liked to spar but has no interest in watching MMA.

My 8 year old hated every second of training and has never liked mma.

They will both be watching Ronda's fight with me and are now fans of mma.

It might not be a huge bump but she is definitely bringing new fans to the sport.

Also Dana didn't cheat us out of a quality main event, Ive seen womans fights that are every bit as entertaining as mens. Phone Post
2/2/13 7:45 PM
Blackbeltpanda
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - You know I am fucking stoked that women's mma is finally making inroads to the UFC, but holy shit has dana got a hardon for honda

Seriuously, I dont really think casual fans really follow womens MMA and I dont think this will be as big as Dana thinks.

2/2/13 8:25 PM
soremano

Ronda is great exposure for the UFC brand. Whether the hardcore fans like it or not is immaterial and childish, at the end of the day it's about BUSINESS. As Dana said Ronda gets press that his other champions just don't get.

How is this hard for some of you to understand? She hasn't even had a fight in the UFC yet and she's getting more press than guys like Aldo or Cruz who many consider to be all time greats in their weight class? That get's your brand great exposure amongst the mainstream, something you just can't buy. Getting an article in Time magazine, or Forbes on Ronda is priceless as far as the UFC brand is concerned.
Dana certainly isn't supporting Ronda because he's "pussy whipped" as so many fourteen year old internet dorks would claim. It's about the future of the UFC. He's using her to buy mainstream press that he normally can' get.

2/3/13 10:28 AM
EVILYOSHIDA

UFC pushing the liberal agenda, not surprising.

this push is totally artificial.
2/3/13 11:31 AM
G-Hands
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love it when he uses the "dorks on the internet" line. fuggin cracks me up every time.
2/3/13 11:38 AM
UGSlapshot

G-Hands - I love it when he uses the "dorks on the internet" line. fuggin cracks me up every time.
It bugs me because he's too arrogant to realize that us "dorks" are most of the ufc's fanbase. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.