UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> IronMind SuperSquat Hip Belt

2/2/13 10:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have experience with this belt? How have you found it works? Is it comfortable and easy to use? Can you use heavy weight without it getting too uncomfortable? I've been trying to find a way to use my chin/dip belt to do this style of squat and it delivers an awesome workout but when I get up to 3 plates it get uncomfortable and 4 plates is unbearable because of the way the steel digs into my hip and legs. I tried various ways of rigging it up and trying to pad it and pad my body to prevent this but it's very difficult to make it work. I really want to use this exercise in my program but don't wanna spend the money on this belt and end up with the same problems.
2/3/13 1:37 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've used these belts and other versions. They work well however in my experience a shorter bar works best. A full olympic bar can start to move under you and make this an awkward movment. I used a short bar and it worked well.

TAKU

2/3/13 2:01 PM
Leigh
948 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No idea but is this a device that lets you do dip-belt squats with a bar? Sounds like a good idea Phone Post
2/3/13 4:10 PM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/homesweathome4.html
2/3/13 4:13 PM
AdrianK

Leigh you can hook a loaded bar up or just plates or plates on a loading pin. I find using a regular dip belt is absolutely brutal to squat with because of the way the steel digs into the hip and legs especially when it get heavy
2/3/13 4:54 PM
Leigh
948 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On my phone, this pic looked like something else...

Phone Post
3/8/13 9:18 AM
AdrianK

SO I bought the belt. Ended up ordering the wrong size!! If you ever order one make sure you get an actual measurement of your waist with a measuring tape and don't guess based on your pants size!! That mistake ended up costing me an extra $52 as I had to pay for shipping 3 times having the wrong one sent to me then sending it back then having the right one sent to me.

Anyway I got the right sized one last night which was perfect because it was leg day. It was kind of frustrating awkward to rig up and use at 1st. If your a mountain climber and good with equipment like that I'd imagine it would easy for you but for me not so much.

Once I got it all figured out it delivered an awesome workout though. I used two tires with 45 pound plates on top as foot platforms to give me the height required to hit depth. This worked well but it is tricky getting up onto them with the loaded bar between the legs. Definitely recommend having a partner there to help you with rigging and getting into position.

There are many different set ups and way of going about this if you do a search on youtube. You have to get creative and work with what you have available. Using the side of a power rack as a hand hold stabilizer is a good idea as well. I will be working on different things to improve safety as I progress with this lift.

I went with an EZ curl bar to load the weights and it worked quite well. I also tried a tricep bar but it was too short and kept hitting the tires. I also have a couple of homemade loading pins that I have to dig out and try but haven't yet. I loaded 100 pounds and that was enough to really make me work and fry my quads. I was able to do quite a few reps at that weight but they all felt like work. I jumped to 200 to see how it would feel and it was too much, I couldn't hit depth without feeling like I would fall off the platforms tipping forward. Down to 150, this was a good weight, able to go deep for reps but very challenging. Then I did several more sets with 100.

Amazing leg workout, I also did some calf raises with it. I would recommend this equipment to anyone. I will for sure be making it a regular accessory exercise on leg days and trying to push the weight up on it.
3/8/13 10:33 AM
The Gunslinger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I own one and like it a lot. I haven't used it in a while. Its very useful if you have a back injury.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.