UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> WTF happened to Maia?

2/2/13 11:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How? 

This is the guy that went the distance with Mario Miranda. 

Never seen a weight class drop work out so well for someone.

2/2/13 11:08 PM
Tom2gunsWright
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson the spider Silva happened! Phone Post
2/2/13 11:09 PM
mkou
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Styles make fights. He dominated Miranda just like he did to Fitch. Wrestling + superior grappling.
2/2/13 11:09 PM
ChaosOverkill
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he was a decent sized MW, at WW he is huge and motivated because there are no Chris Weidmans and Silvas

2/2/13 11:10 PM
MMA Monkey

what people really want to say is that MW has tougher competition than WW. you're welcome.
2Fort
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia looks fucking NASTY at WW
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah he was doing well fighting the beasts at 185 and now he's the monster at 170.

2/2/13 11:11 PM
MickColins
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His clinch takedowns have been superb his last few fights. I wish more BJJ guys would notice how he does it. Its very old school.

2/2/13 11:13 PM
stillmatic
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty simple really imo, he is working on his grappling again rather than just focusing on improving his boxing. His grappling is so much sharper now than it was in his fights against Miranda, Grove and Santiago.
2/2/13 11:14 PM
Taz Styles
3017 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He had a good stand up fight with Munoz and after that he kept trying to out strike guys.
2/2/13 11:14 PM
Leonardo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia is awesome, as long as he stop trying to fight like a striker.
2/2/13 11:16 PM
dogfb
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not only is he big and strong at 170, he seems to be going back to his roots and using BJJ at all costs. He was trying to strike too much for a while at 185. 

2/2/13 11:17 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Its a big weight class drop. I always though Maia was undersized at MW. Phone Post
2/2/13 11:17 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

dogfb -

Not only is he big and strong at 170, he seems to be going back to his roots and using BJJ at all costs. He was trying to strike too much for a while at 185. 

He couldn't bully dudes to the ground after they knew what to avoid. At ww, it doesn't matter. Phone Post
2/2/13 11:23 PM
cyberc92
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At WW he is able to rag doll guys his own size.
2/2/13 11:49 PM
MMA Monkey

MW is a tougher division than WW. simple as that.
2/3/13 1:23 AM
Jaybrone
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is no longer on the small side of the division. And his wrestling has come a LONG way from his first UFC fights. 

His wrestling and control have me convinced he deserves a shot in the VERY new future.

2/3/13 1:41 AM
eljamaiquino

MW has a better champ and overall competition. After you fight Silva, no-one at WW is gonna seem as tough...

Look at how close Belfort came to beating Bones on short notice...
2/3/13 1:49 AM
MMA Monkey

So much for MW having weak competition.
2/3/13 1:51 AM
Size

Jaybrone - 

He is no longer on the small side of the division. And his wrestling has come a LONG way from his first UFC fights. 

His wrestling and control have me convinced he deserves a shot in the VERY new future.

Yeah...I bet he'll have a chance to fight for the title after Champion vs. Hendricks if he wins the next two fights.
2/3/13 2:00 AM
jackhos

great stylistic matchups. story and fitch are both powerless grapplers, same with DHK. it would be interesting how maia fought against nick diaz, rory macdonald, koscheck or jake ellenberger. after that, a top 5, like condit, hendricks, kampmann or whoever wins there next matchup. i could see him beating everyone, save for an early KO. GSP fight would be great
2/3/13 3:22 AM
knuckleballs

I think any non-strong wrestler he owns, easily, for his wrestling IS really good. Kos, Hendricks and Ellenberger will be a good test. If he cruises through any of those guys, then give him the title shot.
2/3/13 3:28 AM
Maltese Falcon
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

super impressive at ww wonder who is next for him?
2/3/13 3:37 AM
robopimp
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too bad they wasted Koscheck on the Lawlor fight because I'd like to see that matchup.
2/3/13 3:51 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh

robopimp - Too bad they wasted Koscheck on the Lawlor fight because I'd like to see that matchup.

I agree.  While Fitch is an excellent wrestler with great top control, his TDD has always been the weakest part of his grappling.

Koscheck on the other hand, has excellent TDD and would make for an interesting test for Maia.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.