UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Christy Doran - underrated genius guitarist

2/2/13 11:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/13 11:36 PM

I'm a sucker for digital delays, I guess. (Or tape loops, earlier). This is:

Christy Doran performing an early excerpt of "Bastard" live on stage at MusicaContinua (Mestre Venice, Italy) on 2005.02.11

On the strength of 4 or 5 discs, Doran is one of my favorite guitarists. There's a bunch of stuff he's done I'm not that into, when he tries to go more "prog rock" or something; and there's stuff on youtube that's just nowhere near his best work. I though this one was pretty damn good, at least.
2/2/13 11:44 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doran was born in Ireland, but he moved to Switzerland very young (IIRC). He's a jazz professor at a music school in Lucerne.

Here's what it's like to study with him -- which seems cool as hell:

2/2/13 11:47 PM
Ali

And Christy Doran's New Bag -- his prog rock project. I like some of this stuff (and am disappointed in large amounts of it). But he's a very gritty rock player, at least, when he wants to be:

2/2/13 11:50 PM
Ali

Edited: 02/03/13 12:17 AM
And of course going into the sacred songbooks of Prince of Jimi Hendrix... with the ever fascinating and disturbing Erika Stucky on vocals (equally so, Jamaaladeen Tacuma on bass and Fredy Studer on drums):

I know there's too much screwing around with these guys, but they're also really great for segments. I haven't heard the official cd with this line-up (there is one, all Hendrix). I've heard another with a different singer that was just... sort of bad.

But I don't see any of my favorite recordings of Doran on youtube, so I'm just putting a range down, here. And I was surprised to find New Bag's "Hurry Up N Wait". One of their better things (with the singer not being annoying, which he sometimes is), and Doran is a thing of rock mayhem beauty.
2/2/13 11:51 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the heads-up about CD,Ali.You turned me on to him 6-7 years ago,sent some cd's my way.Thanks again!

Saw CD perform @ the Vancouver Jazz Fest 4 years ago.Amazing band and loud.CD was playing a Gibson SG Custom thru 2 Marshall stacks.The vocalist was a burly dude who would lapse into Mongolian throat singing.Point taken.
2/3/13 12:02 AM
Ali

Edited: 02/03/13 12:22 AM
I'm sure I sent you "What a Band", which opens with one of those tape-loop and acoustic guitar pieces, Solomutations. That slays me. And the version of "She Walked Through The Fair" on that is one of my favorite psychedelic pieces of music, ever. Did I send "Corporate Art" too? I don't remember.

The one I want to find in good audio is called "Race the Time". That's a power trio record... it's more straightforward fusion, I guess, which isn't normally my favorite. But it's SO GOOD. Unfortunately I can only find it in crappy mp3s.

Speaking of which... the sound quality on this robs it of too much power, too. But at least you get hints of how unique he is doing solo improv electric thing he does (and you even get a fragment of Solomutations at 7:43):

2/4/13 10:57 AM
Ali

Here's a kind of cool one. I don't like the vocals singing unisons with the guitar melody (mostly) thing... I'm not into ususally whether it's George Benson or Shawn Lane or whomever.

So that's one problem I have with Christy Doran's New Bag. Great players, but they do a lot of that sort of head arragement, with the unison vocal lines.

But this one still rocks, and Doran himself from 1:50 to 3:35 or so is just a burning, original thing.

2/5/13 10:49 AM
hugomma
862 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/05/13 10:58 AM

I wish some of the Doran, Struder, Tacuma stuff off of "Race Time" was on YouTube.  That's on badass, intercontinental, Harmolodic power trio.

2/5/13 11:19 AM
Ali

I wish that was on youtube, too. I also wish stuff from "Cheer Up" (a trio with Ray Anderson and Han Bennink) were on there, and some things from his solo album "What A Band". I wish a few things from his ECM records were on there, too.

But I like what's here, at least. And... Majic Sam got to see him live (which I haven't!) which is awesome; sad part is, it seems to have been the tour when he did a duo record with Boris Salchak, which is... innarestin'. (I don't think it's the worst record I've heard with him on it... that might have to go to the "Plays Hendrix" record with Phil Minton. In spite of that, I still want to hear the official "Jimi" record with Erika Stucky though).

So yeah, much of his best work is the most impossible to find. "Race the Time" I can't even find on Swiss or German sites, though. It's like it's just been eliminated, except for the crappy 192kb MP3s.
2/6/13 3:14 AM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christy's New Bag was the line-up I saw at the Vancouver Jazz Fest.The vocalist had serious Mongolian throat singing/cookie monster skills.The bass player really stood out as a great accompanyist/antenai.

Missed him the same fest(?) w/ Jamaladeen and the Hendrix tribute...

Wouldn't have had a clue,otherwise,Ali,had you not turned me on to Christy.Thank you!
2/6/13 5:42 AM
jman
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow some great stuff

As always Ali, you ALWAYS have so many great musicians to post and share with us.

MUCH APPREICIATED!!!!
2/6/13 8:09 AM
Ali

That's funny, MajicSam. I assumed it was with Boris Salchak because that guy IS a Mongolian throat singer. And there's a record called "Shaman" which is a duo with Doran and Salchak. (I don't listen to it).

And yw, jman -- I just don't get to have a college radio show any more, so I found a new place to impose my obsessions onto folks! And I get to feel good about it, because this sub-forum is otherwise so quiet. I dig seeing what other people respond to, I guess. Or I'm just an annoying evangelist, maybe. At least I'm not knocking on doors with an mp3 player... "Listen to this!"
2/6/13 9:50 AM
jman
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep on knockin' brother, we might not always be home to answer the door, but we all appreciate the effort and look forward to "spreading the word"!
2/6/13 11:44 AM
hugomma
862 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/06/13 11:44 AM

Evangelist?  Yeah.  My mp3 player looks like your collage playlists.  Annoying?  Never.  Ronald Shannon Jackson & Bill Frisell reminded me how important music is to me.  If it wasn't for your evangelism I wouldn't be taking lessons with Dale Bruning.

2/6/13 9:43 PM
jman

Edited: 02/06/13 9:45 PM
How about an update on the lessons or at least the post you made about the lessons?

I've been working through a new jazz book that is really, really good. Comes with a CD which is really nice and compliments the tablature and music notation. I HIGHLY reccomend this book if you're bored and want something to check out. A lot of basic stuff, but being a "self-taught" jazz player, I've missed out a lot of the basic things and this book puts a lot of things in great context with great examples (like playing a phrase wtih swing 1/8 notes, then 1/8 note triplets, back to swing 1/8 notes, then 1/16th notes, etc).

21st Century Pro Method / Jazz Guitar - Swing to Bebop - Doug Munro
2/8/13 10:30 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman - Keep on knockin' brother, we might not always be home to answer the door, but we all appreciate the effort and look forward to "spreading the word"!

Ditto for me!
2/8/13 10:42 AM
hugomma

jman - How about an update on the lessons or at least the post you made about the lessons?

I've been working through a new jazz book that is really, really good. Comes with a CD which is really nice and compliments the tablature and music notation. I HIGHLY reccomend this book if you're bored and want something to check out. A lot of basic stuff, but being a "self-taught" jazz player, I've missed out a lot of the basic things and this book puts a lot of things in great context with great examples (like playing a phrase wtih swing 1/8 notes, then 1/8 note triplets, back to swing 1/8 notes, then 1/16th notes, etc).

21st Century Pro Method / Jazz Guitar - Swing to Bebop - Doug Munro

Yeah, I've been bad about keeping the post updated.  It's been mostly 1 string & tetrachord (4 note per string) scales over 3 octaves while naming the notes.  Dale's (he told me to stop calling him Mr. Brunning, LOL) really trying to get me over my neck-tardation.  Oh, & he's changed the way I hold my pick, which is kind of a big deal for me.

I'll go into more detail later today.

Thanks for the heads up on the book.

6/1/13 9:42 AM
Ali

Some bebop licks with "rock" distortion and some shred starts around 2:45. Up to then the use of the slide in the picking hand is the more "experimental muso" effect.

Christy and Kevin Doran, just jamming in a bar in Switzerland.

6/3/13 2:16 AM
soundoff71

Ali - Some bebop licks with "rock" distortion and some shred starts around 2:45. Up to then the use of the slide in the picking hand is the more "experimental muso" effect.

Christy and Kevin Doran, just jamming in a bar in Switzerland.

Pure insanity.  Up untill the 2:45 mark, Doran's getting his ECM on. (Or at least, the echoy, sonic exporations I associate with many great players that have released albums on ECM Records.)  And the afterwards, he works his way towards 70's-era McLaughlin-esque insanity.  With a voice & approach all his own, of course.

What an unbelieveable musician, player, & teacher as well.

6/3/13 5:17 AM
Ali

Cool -- yeah, he did, in fact, record for ECM at one point, though he was always more gritty than the "ECM Sound" cliches. (A lot of those guys were, I guess). I agree that Doran is just unbelievable, wish he got out more!

This duo has been gigging under the name "XL Target" which is pretty funny. Here they are with guest, Joe Bowie:

6/3/13 5:21 AM
Ali

Just the duo again -- this one with a drop in recording quality, sadly. Still, thanks youtube.

6/3/13 10:46 AM
soundoff71

Good to see more Doran popping up on YouTube.  TTT

6/3/13 11:25 AM
Ali

It's cool to see this duo in particular -- I like parts of New Bag, but that's my last interest for his various projects, I guess, and the one most represented on youtube.
6/3/13 9:35 PM
Majic Sam

Ali,have been listening to the 7-8 CD recs you sent my way some 10 years ago.Again,thanks,brah...

CD looks like our milkman from the hood when I was a wee spud.
6/3/13 9:53 PM
Majic Sam

Kevin Doran seems to come by naturally...Nice drumming.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.