UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> So Who Is The Greatest HW Of All Time?

2/4/13 4:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tempus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overeem was never in the debate in my mind, cheaters don't count and there accomplishments mean nothing
2/4/13 4:32 PM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If no one else will say it I will. Fedor. Phone Post
2/4/13 7:11 PM
eXtv
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 - 
newbornbabynoob -
omega 2013 - 
XcessiveZ - 
rockwell -
XcessiveZ -
HELWIG -

"Remember when this forum was full of idiots shitting on Fedor and proclaiming Brock the #1 heavyweight? Because there was a LOT of them, like a significant portion of the forum."

A large part though was paid shills from Zuffa trying to make it appear that people actually felt that way.

Along with clueless noobs who now have drifted on to the next trend.

Shame on the joke MMA sites that actually printed rankings with Brock as #1. And the jackasses that defended it.

He beat Randy, Mir, then Carwin.He deserved the ranking at the time as the champ.

Overall it's Fedor, then probably Nog/Randy/CC. Phone Post
He didn't deserve the ranking and myself along with many others on this board (like Helwig, RVD and whistleblower) at the time detailed exactly why he didn't.

Then after his losses pretty much everyone turned around and agreed that it was stupid to have him ranked so highly with such a short record and with so many different stylistic challenges to face. Phone Post
He was the UFC HW champ and defended the belt twice, who else warranted the #1 spot? Phone Post

someone is going to say werdum b/c he beat the no1 fighter. by that same logic you should only get the no2 ranking by beating the no2 fighter. that arguement doesn't hold water...see: arlovski ranked no2

Fedor fought two top-five heavyweights and was signed to fight a third top-five heavyweight. Shitting on him this way is basically telling us you were either not following the sport then or not paying attention.

Tim was #5.

Arlovski was smartly ranked #3 and Dana was publically regretful that he wasn't able to re-sign Andre (how often have we seen that side of Dana when a fighter leaves the UFC?), so he was full of promise and potential at that point.

Take up the invitation to go back and read those old whistleblower threads. No one said it better than him: even retard squirrels understood MMA by the time he was finished talking.
Again what are you basing Andre's ranking on? His top 5 wins? His avenged loss to Tim? I've never heard any logical answer for his high rank then. He just magically leaped Nog, Tim...

No one is trying to 'shit' on Freddie...just an intelligent discussion... Phone Post

You want a source?

Ranked #2 here as of Jan 11: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/1/11/716604/bloody-elbow-january-mma-m

As for personal reasons for him being ranked so high, I don't think that's important. The fact is that he was pretty much unanimously regarded as the #2/#3 HW in the world when he fought Fedor.
2/4/13 7:14 PM
eXtv
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People can argue about what their personal opinions regarding Andre's rankings as much as they like, but I think having these aggregate rankings from across multiple publications and the use of a points system is alot more telling than someones personal, subjective viewpoint.
2/4/13 7:23 PM
subwrassler
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain

this will be common knowledge within a year
2/4/13 7:45 PM
HBwrestler

Fedor.

I don't think i have ever seen a thread on the UG where 95% of the posters agree.

2/4/13 8:35 PM
Kingofny23
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this a trick question? The answer is obviously Bob Sapp... Phone Post
2/4/13 9:25 PM
rockwell
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

newbornbabynoob - And it's interesting that at the time no one thought Andre's rank was suspect. It's only now, years later, that we have an internet douche looking back with hazy recollection that there are doubts.

EXACTLY!

Cuz I think we can all agree Brock was worthy of his #1 spot in hindsight ;)
2/4/13 9:40 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clearly Fedor is the greatest heavyweight MMA fighter who has ever competed.
2/4/13 11:07 PM
orcus

"Pezao beat Fedor at the end of his career, still an amazing accomplishment but more to do with Fedor losing a step honestly"

The only reason that was the "end of his career" is because after getting stopped twice in a row he wanted to retire and eventually did, after taking one more stoppage loss and a few wins over much lower level opponents. Fedor is three years younger than Anderson and started fighting three years later, was statistically one of if not the least hit men in all MMA, and iirc his most serious surgery was for a broken hand -- not the multiple knee, shoulder, back, etc surgeries many fighters have (like Anderson). You think if he had destroyed Werdum and Bigfoot and won the SF tourney anyone would have said the wins came at the end of his career? No, because they wouldn't have -- he would have kept fighting. 

Deciding to retire after you get smashed several times in a row doesn't automatically make the losses count less, or the wins count less for the guy who beat you.

2/4/13 11:49 PM
HELWIG

"He beat Randy, Mir, then Carwin.He deserved the ranking at the time as the champ."

They gabe Lesnar the #1 ranking BEFORE he beat Carwin. While he was out on a year layoff with illness! He didnt even fight for that ranking!

It was because Werdum beat Fedor. The same Werdum who had finished UFC contenders Gonzaga(for the second time) and Vera. And had lost to former champ AA and future champ JDS while he was an unknown.

The day after Werdum beat Fedor, scoing the biggest win possible in the sport. They ranked the MIA Lesnar #1 solely by virtue of him having the UFC title.

The title that on its own means NOTHING considering the people allowed to challenge for it, ranging from guys coming off of losses(Eilers) to guys not even fighting in the weigh class theyre challenging the title in, to guys like Lesnar himself who had a laughable 1-1 UFC record with a sub loss and a dec win over an unranked Heath Herring.

Are you serious?

It was ALL smoke and mirrors and about propping up a marketable guy to make money before he got exposed.

2/5/13 12:59 AM
tempus

All aboard the Goat Boat!
2/5/13 1:16 AM
sparkuri

The GOAT , whoever that is, is in this commercial

2/5/13 2:31 AM
Galanis
723 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor by a mile

2/5/13 2:36 AM
Jesus Quintana

1. brock
2. overeem
2/5/13 2:56 AM
Attila
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/5/13 3:00 AM
Calavaro
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/05/13 3:01 AM

????? ????????????? ???????????? <- Forum can't handle Russian...

Fyodor Vladimirovich Yemelyanenko

2/5/13 3:37 AM
tenfeethigh
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide - 

James Thompson, then Fedor.

agreed, can't believe how you're all looking past the collossus. fedor's close though.

2/5/13 3:47 AM
ThinkMMA
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LAE - 
ThinkMMA -
LAE - Nogueria. He lost to Fedor twice I know but he was fighting all the contenders while Fedor was fighting Zulu and Mark Hunt. Phone Post
Nog fought Zulu. Your point? Phone Post
Fedor is recognised for his run in pride. For me Nog had the better run in Pride. He fought Ricco, barnett, sergei, finished herring and finished crocop. Fedors only two siginificant wins were Nog and Cro cop but that doesnt make him greater overall. For me it will be Nogueria, he went to the UFC and has better and more relevant wins than Fedor since 2006. Fedor (through no fault of his own i admit) didnt fight those top guys because Nogueria fought them for him.

Its the same situation between Wanderlei and Shogun in PRIDE. Wanderlei got all the plaudits and everyone talks of hos amazing title run. All wand did was beat up cans and undersized Japanese guys. He beat Page twice and went 1-1 with Arona. Shogun beat page, nog, overeem and arona in the GP, Wands biggest win was nakamura ffs.

Pride liked to protect its stars. As doon as Shogun won the GP and became a star who did they give him? The Snake ffs.

Dont get me wrong, i am fan of all the fighters ive mentioned but just look at who they had to fight.

Fedor faded into obscurity because of M1, Nog is still relevant. Phone Post

Cool set of paragraphs. 

They both had great runs, but, what happens when they fight????  Okay then.

2/5/13 4:01 AM
FCTV808
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a headbutting coleman.
2/5/13 4:07 AM
3 strikes
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor
2/5/13 4:26 AM
B_Goetz

Edited: 02/05/13 4:29 AM
If "greatest" means best fighter, Cain is the greatest HW of all time. That's a tough pill for some to swallow, because he has no mystique about him whatsoever.

If "greatest" is supposed to mean "who had the best career within his era," that would be Fedor, in the same sense that Matt Hughes was sometimes still referred to as the greatest welterweight champion of all time after his skills and ability had been surpassed by GSP.
2/5/13 4:35 AM
OmarSnake
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Feodore Emelianenko Phone Post
2/5/13 4:45 AM
Bristols Jim
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

James Toney
Kimbo Slice
2/5/13 4:56 AM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr. Emelianenko Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.