UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fightmetric stats for Aldo/Edgar

2/3/13 1:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stillmatic
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering how Rogan was seeing all those punches landing for Edgar in the 5th round while I was seeing him hit air. The stats would back up what I thought I was seeing.

I really don't think many people would be thinking it was controversial at all if Edgar didn't get dominated so badly in the first 2 rounds.
2/3/13 1:32 AM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Yeah I always defend Rogan on commentary but he was riding Frankies nuts so hard in that 5th round, ignoring everything Aldo did.

True, but he's human. Sometimes our emotions get the best of us, not the end of the world. There's a chance he was trying to make it more suspenseful for the casual viewer. Phone Post
God Bless Tim Tebow
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raxbot - 
God Bless Tim Tebow - That's very misleading. Go look at the round by round stats.

Can you provide a breakdown of how the overall tally is misleading based on analysis of round by round statistics?

Personally, I look at the round by round statistics and still come up with Aldo winning, the same result I come up with looking at the overall tally and the same result I came up with watching the fight.

Aldo landed most of his strikes in round 1 and 2.

Bulerias
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look at the stats, look at the results (face)...
2/3/13 1:33 AM
Saltyballs
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God Bless Tim Tebow -
Saltyballs -  I love Rogan, but he made that fight sound waaaay closer than it really was. Phone Post

This is why I hate compubox. Saltyballs is the perfect name for a fine young man like yourself.
Yeah cause "God Bless Tebow" is so much more compelling.

Calm down Francis. Phone Post
2/3/13 1:34 AM
Pancake Syrup
520 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rogan always gets a hard on for Frankie. HE is one of the only fighters that i wish Rogan wasn't there to commentate for their fights. Aldo could literally land a 10 piece combo and Frankie lands a leg kick and Rogan will act like Frankie didn't just get hit by 10 punches and that the leg kick was a knockout punch
2/3/13 1:36 AM
Raxbot
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God Bless Tim Tebow - 
Raxbot - 
God Bless Tim Tebow - That's very misleading. Go look at the round by round stats.

Can you provide a breakdown of how the overall tally is misleading based on analysis of round by round statistics?

Personally, I look at the round by round statistics and still come up with Aldo winning, the same result I come up with looking at the overall tally and the same result I came up with watching the fight.

Is that all for your analysis?
2/3/13 1:38 AM
God Bless Tim Tebow
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raxbot - 
God Bless Tim Tebow - 
Raxbot - 

Is that all for your analysis?

Is it to complex to understand? Round 1 and 2 is not the entire fight.
2/3/13 1:40 AM
orcus

Raxbot - 

The statistics for round 3, 4, and 5 show Frankie outlanding Aldo in each round and getting a takedown in one of them, so presumably just looking at the statistics you would have Frankie 3 rounds to 2.. How do the round by round statistics make you come up with Aldo winning?

2/3/13 1:41 AM
Listen to Rush
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have Aldo winning 123 with Edgar winning 45. 5 could have gone either way. I think the superman punch at the end could have sealed the deal for the judges but idk. Great fight and hope to see Edgar back again. I think 135-145 are good classes for him to float around in. WAR EDGAR and WAR ALDO! Phone Post
2/3/13 1:45 AM
Size

Silverball - 
Chris27 - Yeah I always defend Rogan on commentary but he was riding Frankies nuts so hard in that 5th round, ignoring everything Aldo did.

True, but he's human. Sometimes our emotions get the best of us, not the end of the world. There's a chance he was trying to make it more suspenseful for the casual viewer. Phone Post

It's pretending the fight was that close that's really ridiculous, even to the point of essentially pulling from Frankie's mouth that he thought he won the fight. Really ridiculous but I guess they feel the need to do something after two potential big money fights went down the toilet tonight.
2/3/13 1:47 AM
Internettufguy

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

Frankie did land more significant strikes in each of the last 3 rounds.  Aldo was more damaging though IMO.

Here's the thing. Frankie has landed maybe three actual significant strikes in his career. The UFC wants him to get another rematch so they will call his pitter patter shots "significant." Sad truth. Phone Post
2/3/13 1:56 AM
ranier wolfcastle
654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/03/13 1:56 AM

click the round buttons. the only part i found weird was aldo majorly outpointing frank in r 5

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Aldo-Edgar.swf

>

2/3/13 1:57 AM
Jaybrone
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The round by round it sure looks hard to argue against edgar in 3 4and 5. Though I think Aldo won the fight.

2/3/13 1:59 AM
Raxbot
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 
Raxbot - 

The statistics for round 3, 4, and 5 show Frankie outlanding Aldo in each round and getting a takedown in one of them, so presumably just looking at the statistics you would have Frankie 3 rounds to 2.. How do the round by round statistics make you come up with Aldo winning?

The statistics (FightMetric) show Aldo out-landing strikes to the head in all five rounds. In rounds 3 through 4, Edgar out-landed Aldo with strikes to the legs 21 to 2 (10 of which were not ruled power strikes), yet in watching the fight, Aldo's attack on Edgar's legs was clearly more effective than was Edgar's on Aldo's. The same can be said with strikes to the head. Aldo out-landed Edgar in power strikes to the head in 3 of 5 rounds, but was only edged out by 1 and 2 strikes (4 to 5 in rd 3, and 1 to 3 in rd 4) respectively. The rounds in which he out-landed Edgar with power strikes to the head he did so by a wider margin (6 to 2 in rd 1, 8 to 3 in rd 2, and 6 to 3 in rd 5). With non-power strikes (called jabs on FightMetric), Aldo out-landed Edgar in every single round (12 to 0 in rd 1, 7 to 0 in rd 2, 10 to 3 in rd 3, 3 to 0 in rd 4, and 8 to 5 in rd 5). As for body strikes, there was significantly less volume and few significant strikes. Edgar out-landed Aldo with 1 non-power in rd 1 (to 0), 2 non-power in rd 2 (to 0), 3 power and 1 non in rd 3 (to 0), was out-landed 2 power to 1 (and no non) in rd 4, and 5 power and 1 non in rd 5 (to 0). Edgar succeeded in 2 takedowns out of 11 attempts, and each of those were immediately reversed, Aldo managing to get back to his feet without consequence.

Aldo out-landed Edgar rather significantly and out-grappled him, keeping the fight on the feet where he was winning despite Edgar's efforts. Edgar turned the tide later into the fight as Aldo slowed, but Aldo out-performed him. That's my analysis of the data. At first, I had my tally sheet with Aldo winning rounds 1, 2, and 3, and Edgar winning rounds 4 and 5, but after reevaluating the data, I now have come to the conclusion that Aldo won rounds 1, 2, 3, and 5, and Edgar won round 4. The data also suggests Aldo may have taken a 10-8 round, but I think that's not quite accurate.

Aldo 49-46

How do you see the data saying anything different?
2/3/13 2:39 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

2/3/13 3:09 AM
GeneraI
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raxbot -
orcus - 
Raxbot - 

The statistics (FightMetric) show Aldo out-landing strikes to the head in all five rounds. In rounds 3 through 4, Edgar out-landed Aldo with strikes to the legs 21 to 2 (10 of which were not ruled power strikes), yet in watching the fight, Aldo's attack on Edgar's legs was clearly more effective than was Edgar's on Aldo's. The same can be said with strikes to the head. Aldo out-landed Edgar in power strikes to the head in 3 of 5 rounds, but was only edged out by 1 and 2 strikes (4 to 5 in rd 3, and 1 to 3 in rd 4) respectively. The rounds in which he out-landed Edgar with power strikes to the head he did so by a wider margin (6 to 2 in rd 1, 8 to 3 in rd 2, and 6 to 3 in rd 5). With non-power strikes (called jabs on FightMetric), Aldo out-landed Edgar in every single round (12 to 0 in rd 1, 7 to 0 in rd 2, 10 to 3 in rd 3, 3 to 0 in rd 4, and 8 to 5 in rd 5). As for body strikes, there was significantly less volume and few significant strikes. Edgar out-landed Aldo with 1 non-power in rd 1 (to 0), 2 non-power in rd 2 (to 0), 3 power and 1 non in rd 3 (to 0), was out-landed 2 power to 1 (and no non) in rd 4, and 5 power and 1 non in rd 5 (to 0). Edgar succeeded in 2 takedowns out of 11 attempts, and each of those were immediately reversed, Aldo managing to get back to his feet without consequence.

Aldo out-landed Edgar rather significantly and out-grappled him, keeping the fight on the feet where he was winning despite Edgar's efforts. Edgar turned the tide later into the fight as Aldo slowed, but Aldo out-performed him. That's my analysis of the data. At first, I had my tally sheet with Aldo winning rounds 1, 2, and 3, and Edgar winning rounds 4 and 5, but after reevaluating the data, I now have come to the conclusion that Aldo won rounds 1, 2, 3, and 5, and Edgar won round 4. The data also suggests Aldo may have taken a 10-8 round, but I think that's not quite accurate.

Aldo 49-46

How do you see the data saying anything different?
1 Phone Post
2/3/13 3:40 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/03/13 3:43 PM

For a while there I thought the UG was gonna rally behind Frankie the way they did Diaz.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.