UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 2 Judges Gave Aldo 4 rounds?!?!?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/3/13 2:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh - 
Raxbot -
DoomFarmer -  Edgar only won round 4. Phone Post

I had originally scored Aldo 1, 2, and 3, and Edgar 4 and 5, but after reviewing the FightMetric data, I have to agree with DoomFarmer.

Edgar only won round 4.
. Phone Post

2/3/13 2:09 PM
stillmatic
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When someone gets dominated earlier in the fight, often times they get more credit than they deserve when they manage to do comparatively better. This happens all the time in Boxing. It's not as big a problem in Boxing, because you have 12 rounds whereas in a 5 round fight, it can make a huge difference.
2/3/13 2:12 PM
Wasa-B
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stillmatic - When someone gets dominated earlier in the fight, often times they get more credit than they deserve when they manage to do comparatively better. This happens all the time in Boxing. It's not as big a problem in Boxing, because you have 12 rounds whereas in a 5 round fight, it can make a huge difference.

True but.....Aldo still did not clearly win 3 and 5. There is some real debate this morning on who won those.
2/3/13 2:28 PM
Raxbot
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
stillmatic - When someone gets dominated earlier in the fight, often times they get more credit than they deserve when they manage to do comparatively better. This happens all the time in Boxing. It's not as big a problem in Boxing, because you have 12 rounds whereas in a 5 round fight, it can make a huge difference.

True but.....Aldo still did not clearly win 3 and 5. There is some real debate this morning on who won those.

Personally I wouldn't call it "real debate." I would say there are stubborn and staunch Edgar supporters demonstrating their unwillingness to accept his loss by trying to spin or misconstrue the data in an effort to make it appear as though Aldo didn't win.

This is not uncommon, whether it be for the sake of Edgar or somebody else.
2/3/13 2:29 PM
Nexuscrawlers
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Captfireeyes - I had Aldo winning 1,2,5 with round three being really close. Only round Frankie won was the 4th. Phone Post
This. Joe Rogan was being biased trying to say Frankie won the 5th. Frankie won the 4th, and maybe 3rd, but aldo def won 1 2 and 5. Phone Post
2/3/13 2:34 PM
Wasa-B
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raxbot - 
Wasa-B - 

Personally I wouldn't call it "real debate." I would say there are stubborn and staunch Edgar supporters demonstrating their unwillingness to accept his loss by trying to spin or misconstrue the data in an effort to make it appear as though Aldo didn't win.

This is not uncommon, whether it be for the sake of Edgar or somebody else.

I was going for Aldo. And there are enough people on here this morning doing exactly the above.
2/3/13 2:34 PM
Wasa-B

Nexuscrawlers - 
Captfireeyes - I had Aldo winning 1,2,5 with round three being really close. Only round Frankie won was the 4th. Phone Post
This. Joe Rogan was being biased trying to say Frankie won the 5th. Frankie won the 4th, and maybe 3rd, but aldo def won 1 2 and 5. Phone Post

Aldo did not "def" win 5 imo. It was close.
2/3/13 2:35 PM
Winston Wolf
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

daba - The only round Edgar definitely won was round 4.

2/3/13 2:37 PM
Wasa-B

Winston Wolf - 

But Aldo did not definately win 3 or 5.
2/3/13 2:37 PM
bshaw1979
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raxbot - Out-landing Edgar 6 to 3 in power strikes to the head, out-landing 8 to 5 in jab strikes to the head, and stuffing 2 takedown attempts won Aldo the fifth round (according to FightMetric).

There's nothing sad but definitely truth in that.

Stuffing a takedown does not score points. So I'm not sure where you were going with that comment. If anything its the opposite. It shows frankie as the aggressor.
2/3/13 2:39 PM
nnwourgeet
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie won the last three rounds. He landed more strikes and had Aldo backing up and getting slower.
2/3/13 2:42 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bshaw1979 - 
Raxbot - Out-landing Edgar 6 to 3 in power strikes to the head, out-landing 8 to 5 in jab strikes to the head, and stuffing 2 takedown attempts won Aldo the fifth round (according to FightMetric).

Stuffing a takedown does not score points. So I'm not sure where you were going with that comment. If anything its the opposite. It shows frankie as the aggressor.

Actually it does score points. It falls under Octagon control. And no Frankie doesnt get points for aggression with failed takedowns. Point 2 in octagon control and point 5 in effective aggression

J. Octagon Control
1. The fighter who is dictating the pace, place and position of the fight.
2. A striker who fends off a grappler's takedown attempt to remain standing and effectively strike is octagon control.
3. A grappler who can takedown an effective standing striker to ground fight is octagon control.
4. The fighter on the ground who creates submission, mount or clean striking opportunities

K. Effective Aggressiveness
1. This simply means who is moving forward and finding success.(scoring)
2. Throwing a strike moving backwards is not as effective as a strike thrown moving forward.
3. Throwing strikes and not landing is not effective aggressiveness.
4. Moving forward and getting struck is not effective aggressiveness.
5. Shooting takedowns and getting countered and fended off is not effective aggressiveness.
2/3/13 2:44 PM
bakobell
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

The right guy won.  If you look at the fight as a whole, damage done, hard shots (leg kicks and punches), control, etc..., Aldo did win.  People bitch about the scoring criteria but the judges got it right.  To say Edgar might have squeeked out teh 3rd and 5th and give him the fight would be shitty.  He didn't win those rounds, lost the fight, and his face and leg showed it. 

Edgar's problem is that he always thinks he's winning in the 5th round for some reason and is content with barely edging it out.   I don't know if he has a terrible corner that tells him he's got it as opposed to telling him he better finish the fight or what, but it's happened 3 fights in a row and 4 of 5.

Ding ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner. Phone Post
2/3/13 2:52 PM
Winston Wolf
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
Winston Wolf - 

But Aldo did not definately win 3 or 5.

imo he did
2/3/13 2:54 PM
Winston Wolf

Edger did ZERO damage Not once had Aldo hurt and hit and run Thats not winning a fight
2/3/13 3:03 PM
Raxbot
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bshaw1979 - 

Aggressor means nothing. A fighter can charge forward and swing at air, but that doesn't mean he's winning.

Aldo stuffing Frankie's takedowns shows Aldo is controlling the fight by keeping it where he wants and negating Frankie's attempts to take it where he wants. That, combined with out-striking Frankie, is how Aldo wont the fifth round. That's where I'm going with that comment.
2/3/13 3:05 PM
cycklops
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had Aldo up 4-1 but can understand the case for 3-2

2/3/13 4:20 PM
bshaw1979

Raxbot - 
bshaw1979 - 

Aggressor means nothing. A fighter can charge forward and swing at air, but that doesn't mean he's winning.

Aldo stuffing Frankie's takedowns shows Aldo is controlling the fight by keeping it where he wants and negating Frankie's attempts to take it where he wants. That, combined with out-striking Frankie, is how Aldo wont the fifth round. That's where I'm going with that comment.

Ummmm....octagon control is one official aspect of mma scoring . How does it mean nothing you noob?
2/3/13 4:42 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Aldo won the fight. Phone Post
2/3/13 4:56 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

bshaw1979 - 
Raxbot - 
bshaw1979 - 

Ummmm....octagon control is one official aspect of mma scoring . How does it mean nothing you noob?

Yes and being in the center of the cage, and stuffing 100% of all attempts from Frankie to "control" the cage = winning. Aldo kept the fight where he wanted.

To boot, "cage control" is the 3rd most important factor to consider. You are not supposed to judge all 4 aspects equally according to the Rules:

(c) Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

(d) Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area andeffective aggressiveness and defense.

Aldo dominated the "Effective Striking" by definition in 4 of the 5 rounds. He was also the more "Effective Grappler"  in every round stuffing 9 of 11 TDs over all. 

2/3/13 4:57 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

nnwourgeet - Frankie won the last three rounds. He landed more strikes and had Aldo backing up and getting slower.

That's not how the scoring works. 

2/3/13 5:06 PM
baldnbad
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea odd but is this even a convorsation anymore? Judging is questionable every event. Not getting better.
2/3/13 5:11 PM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

daba - The only round Edgar definitely won was round 4.
Yep. In the stands without commentary we all knew aldo won handily Phone Post
2/3/13 5:16 PM
bshaw1979

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
bshaw1979 - 
Raxbot - 
bshaw1979 - 

Yes and being in the center of the cage, and stuffing 100% of all attempts from Frankie to "control" the cage = winning. Aldo kept the fight where he wanted.

To boot, "cage control" is the 3rd most important factor to consider. You are not supposed to judge all 4 aspects equally according to the Rules:

(c) Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

(d) Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area andeffective aggressiveness and defense.

Aldo dominated the "Effective Striking" by definition in 4 of the 5 rounds. He was also the more "Effective Grappler"  in every round stuffing 9 of 11 TDs over all. 

So you're saying edgar didn't take him down? Stuffing100% of his takedowns right? Really hard to take you seriously when you can't even get that right.
2/3/13 5:17 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

^^^^^ Rounds 3 and 5 were what I was referencing in that portion of my post. I apologize for not clarifying, but I assumed everyone was talking about those two rounds as they were the ones in question. That is my fault for assuming. 

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.