UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 2 Judges Gave Aldo 4 rounds?!?!?

2/3/13 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bshaw1979
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
bshaw1979 - 
Raxbot - 
bshaw1979 - 
Raxbot - Out-landing Edgar 6 to 3 in power strikes to the head, out-landing 8 to 5 in jab strikes to the head, and stuffing 2 takedown attempts won Aldo the fifth round (according to FightMetric).

There's nothing sad but definitely truth in that.

Stuffing a takedown does not score points. So I'm not sure where you were going with that comment. If anything its the opposite. It shows frankie as the aggressor.

Aggressor means nothing. A fighter can charge forward and swing at air, but that doesn't mean he's winning.

Aldo stuffing Frankie's takedowns shows Aldo is controlling the fight by keeping it where he wants and negating Frankie's attempts to take it where he wants. That, combined with out-striking Frankie, is how Aldo wont the fifth round. That's where I'm going with that comment.

Ummmm....octagon control is one official aspect of mma scoring . How does it mean nothing you noob?

Yes and being in the center of the cage, and stuffing 100% of all attempts from Frankie to "control" the cage = winning. Aldo kept the fight where he wanted.

To boot, "cage control" is the 3rd most important factor to consider. You are not supposed to judge all 4 aspects equally according to the Rules:

(c) Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

(d) Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area andeffective aggressiveness and defense.

Aldo dominated the "Effective Striking" by definition in 4 of the 5 rounds. He was also the more "Effective Grappler"  in every round stuffing 9 of 11 TDs over all. 

So you're saying edgar didn't take him down? Stuffing100% of his takedowns right? Really hard to take you seriously when you can't even get that right.
2/3/13 5:17 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

^^^^^ Rounds 3 and 5 were what I was referencing in that portion of my post. I apologize for not clarifying, but I assumed everyone was talking about those two rounds as they were the ones in question. That is my fault for assuming. 

2/3/13 5:19 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Furthermore, scoring 1/4 TDs in a round does NOT win you the "cage control" section of the scoring anyhow. Read the scoring for cage control. Aldo had the fight where he wanted it in all 5 rounds, and kept it there for 99% of those rounds. He dictated the pace and location of the fight in rounds 1,2,3 and 5 easily. 

2/3/13 5:25 PM
Doc T
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really dont think aldo won the last round, Frankie kept on pushing forward. Phone Post
2/3/13 5:37 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 02/03/13 5:38 PM
Doc T -  I really dont think aldo won the last round, Frankie kept on pushing forward. Phone Post

You seem to be making the same mistake that judges in Leonard Garcias "wins" made back then.

Aggression is the LEAST valued of the 4 scoring criteria. 

Since this round was 100% standing:

Effective Striking is weighed the most

Effective Grappling is 2nd

Cage Control 3rd

Aggression 4th

I had Aldo winning all three of the more important criteria in round 5. 

2/3/13 5:44 PM
hmeboy
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Doc T -  I really dont think aldo won the last round, Frankie kept on pushing forward. Phone Post

You seem to be making the same mistake that judges in Leonard Garcias "wins" made back then.

Aggression is the LEAST valued of the 4 scoring criteria. 

Since this round was 100% standing:

Effective Striking is weighed the most

Effective Grappling is 2nd

Cage Control 3rd

Aggression 4th

I had Aldo winning all three of the more important criteria in round 5. 

Aggression isn't a scoring criteria, EFFECTIVE Aggression is. Moving forward doesn't mean shit.

I gave Aldo every round except round 4.
2/3/13 5:46 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Yes, I know that. We are on the same page. Aldo 49-46. Only the 4th goes to Edgar. Edgar was more EFFECTIVE in his aggression in rounds 4+5 to me, but that category is not anywhere near as important when you lost the top 3 criteria. 

2/3/13 5:54 PM
thebasher

daba - The only round Edgar definitely won was round 4.

2/3/13 6:30 PM
hmeboy

Edited: 02/03/13 6:32 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Yes, I know that. We are on the same page. Aldo 49-46. Only the 4th goes to Edgar. Edgar was more EFFECTIVE in his aggression in rounds 4+5 to me, but that category is not anywhere near as important when you lost the top 3 criteria. 

I was agreeing with you. Just making a gentle correction.

Also, I had to have my 2 cents in, because when people like Doc T say "he was moving forward, therefore he won" it really rustles my jimmies. That was basically the entire argument for Diego sanchez in the Kampmann robbery of the century.
2/3/13 6:39 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

^^^^ Lol and every single decision "win" for Leonard Gacria in the past 4 years....

2/3/13 6:46 PM
jmont

I gave aldo 1, 2 frankie 4 and 3, 5 are debatable but overal after the fight it was pretty obvious aldo won Phone Post
2/3/13 7:10 PM
Kansas Comet

Edited: 02/03/13 7:44 PM
I think it was a clear cut decision for Aldo no matter what score anyone came up with..

Jose dominated early with the wicked leg kicks and the left jab and simply scored more emphatically than Edgar even if he was out struck by a marginal amount in 3 of the rounds simply due to the fact of how much more powerful Jose' scoring strikes were than Frankie's.

Don't think any reasonable fight fan can honestly say Frankie did enough to win the FW Championship over Jose Aldo last night.

Don't think it was close enough to even speak about a rematch.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.