UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Why gi grips dont matter

2/3/13 2:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tripleguardpull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/13 9:28 AM

This post was originally a bunch of slander but I have removed it, my apologies to Robert.
2/3/13 9:21 AM
PayItForward
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they do matter and he knows that. he's not saying they don't matter. he's saying grip w/ a purpose in mind. don't do it because you've been told you need to grip. he wasn't saying anything wrong but you're overstating what he said.

i watch marcelo garcia roll and it's the first thing he does, break opponent's grips... he doesn't bother continuing w/out breaking their grip first.
2/3/13 10:48 AM
Sugarfoot
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice video! Phone Post
2/3/13 10:58 AM
Sugarfoot
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did just buy a grip pro trainer for $7. Think I should pitch it? Phone Post
2/3/13 11:01 AM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/03/13 12:31 PM

Hmm, I'm not a black belt so feel free to dismiss my comments:

I basically disagree with almost everything he says in that video

1) Most schools do not emphasize gripping and grip breaking for beginners.

(ex. In Openmat Radio's recent interview with Lovato Black Belt James Popolo - sp?- he said it was a concept he really wasnt taught until he was a brown belt or so and visited Saulo/Xande's..this is similar to many of my experiences with visiting different schools)

2) All World Class champions handfight and break grips immediately using their hands near the grip- I dont see many using big movements like flaring the elbows or using the legs to break grips from the positions shown on the video. I think these movements are "too big" and a super skilled opponent will make you pay for it.

2/3/13 2:10 PM
Muffinho
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are concepts in grappling that apply regardless of "art". Gripfighting is one of those things. Grip fighting is central to judo, wrestling, bjj, sambo.
2/3/13 3:24 PM
Migakad
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think one mistake happening lately is the separation of grips from actual techniques. It might make things a lot less complicated if you just focus on gaining a grip as step 1 of a technique. With this in mind it's also easier to anticipate what an opponent is looking to do based on the grips they are trying to get on you. Further, grips are just leverage points. Same as an undertook or even a DLR hook. Each opens certain options, but just grabbing for a grip with no techniques in mind that it gives you, or likewise fighting grips with no idea what they expose you to is missing a lot. Just a thought on grips.
2/3/13 9:31 PM
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
2/3/13 9:53 PM
shen
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/03/13 9:52 PM
I don't think he's being particularly clear in the point he is trying to make.
2/3/13 9:59 PM
tripleguardpull

Edited: 10/18/13 9:28 AM
This post was originally a bunch of slander but I have removed it, my apologies to Robert.
2/3/13 10:27 PM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda odd that the website states he got his black belt from Charles McCarthy- I didnt think Charles had his black belt for 6 years (standard 2 stripe BB to promote bb)?
2/4/13 1:09 AM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I disagree with his grip breaking methodology. He seems to be applying a lot of movement and force that is not needed. He might want to take some judo classes.
2/4/13 1:13 AM
spider guard
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - Kinda odd that the website states he got his black belt from Charles McCarthy- I didnt think Charles had his black belt for 6 years (standard 2 stripe BB to promote bb)?

That's only if you're going by the IBJJF. A black belt can promote whoever they want, but it may not be recognized by a governing body.
2/4/13 1:24 AM
HoldYerGround
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/04/13 1:25 AM
^Yeah. Also, if you're not going by the IBJJF, you can actually just skip the outdated "traditional" way of getting your blackbelt from a qualified instructor and just order yours online!

I myself chose to take this route, as it takes far less time, money, and energy. As they say "Minimum effort, Maximum efficiency"

OSS my friends
2/4/13 10:03 PM
tripleguardpull

newbornbabynoob - 
tripleguardpull - <blockquote>shen - I don't think he's being particularly clear in the point he is trying to make.</blockquote><br /> I just found out this guy has only been wearing a gi since like 2011 and used to go by the name Crazy Bob and ran Crazy Bob's Death House. these videos are awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avQ_VWcPgz4

Holy shit, you must mean the guy in Toronto. There can't be two Crazy Bobs out there with a House of Death. I called him when I was checking out schools and all I got in response was a weird phone call. This is that guy?

yep has been confirmed
2/5/13 10:49 AM
kying418

I saw some of those Crazy Bob's Death House videos.

It seemed funny how he was always hiding his face in each video. Why not be proud of being the leader of the Death House?
2/5/13 11:07 AM
mrgoodarmbar
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know anything about the legitimacy of this guy, but I don't think the vid is as bad as I was anticipating. The title is really misleading. He's not saying that grips don't matter.
2/5/13 12:29 PM
Wutang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - 

Hmm, I'm not a black belt so feel free to dismiss my comments:

I basically disagree with almost everything he says in that video

1) Most schools do not emphasize gripping and grip breaking for beginners.

(ex. In Openmat Radio's recent interview with Lovato Black Belt James Popolo - sp?- he said it was a concept he really wasnt taught until he was a brown belt or so and visited Saulo/Xande's..this is similar to many of my experiences with visiting different schools)

2) All World Class champions handfight and break grips immediately using their hands near the grip- I dont see many using big movements like flaring the elbows or using the legs to break grips from the positions shown on the video. I think these movements are "too big" and a super skilled opponent will make you pay for it.

I agreed.

Grip breaking seems huge at the world class level. If you watch a guy like Romulo, once he's able to establish his grips, he runs with it and goes and will generally get the pass.

That leg grip break would get your back taken or you'd get smash passed...

Also definitely agree the title is misleading. He said grips with proper positioning and posture.

2/6/13 1:36 PM
Triple_B
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/11/13 1:59 PM
If he actually showed how to do the traditional grip break I might take his other grip breaking concepts into consideration, but he just yanks the guys wrist and says it doesn't work.
2/9/13 4:13 AM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Migakad - I think one mistake happening lately is the separation of grips from actual techniques. It might make things a lot less complicated if you just focus on gaining a grip as step 1 of a technique. With this in mind it's also easier to anticipate what an opponent is looking to do based on the grips they are trying to get on you. Further, grips are just leverage points. Same as an undertook or even a DLR hook. Each opens certain options, but just grabbing for a grip with no techniques in mind that it gives you, or likewise fighting grips with no idea what they expose you to is missing a lot. Just a thought on grips.
Nice post bro Phone Post
2/9/13 6:44 AM
Jayhof
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I woke up early and I was tired from working and training all week. This video just made me more sadder!

:(

I think I need to watch some videos from Renato Tavares to act as a anti-depresent. Maybe Marcelo?
2/11/13 1:58 PM
sonny listen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/11/13 2:04 PM
http://youtu.be/qPeiapUKDQ0
2/11/13 2:04 PM
sonny listen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/11/13 7:14 PM
Greetings readers,
I think there have been several misunderstandings on this thread.
First and foremost, in regards to Charles McCarthy of ATT, Charles received his black belt from Ricardo Liborio, I believe in 2006 (+/- 1 year). Should my memory fail me in terms of the year, I am still certain that Charles is a 2nd degree black belt and fully qualified and authorized to promote his students as black belts as I met him personally in August, 2012.
In regards to the libelous posts about Robert's qualifications and his school, I took a gander and visited their website: http://www.islandtopteam.com/about/ The link seems to detail Robert's credentials and network in the BJJ community.
As well, nearly all their instructional videos are filmed in the Gi so I don't know how fair it is to say that his instruction is lacking a core concept of grip work and traditional grip breaks. I think the misinterpretation of not being overwhelmed by grips when you're beginning was trying to be conveyed but I might be out in left field as well. I did however notice that a more recent follow-up video was posted http://youtu.be/qPeiapUKDQ0 which might help lift the veil of misinterpretation. It appears the content critique from the roars of this forum was heard and prompted a further clarification.
I'm not sure if the intention was to criticize with limited knowledge or misinformation, but perhaps visiting their YouTube channel or their website/blog might help you formulate your own and more comprehensive conclusion on Robert, his qualifications, and his camp. I think an easier solution may have been to just reach out and ask him directly to get the story straight as I or many others many convolute the truth.
Take care readers,
Sonny
2/17/13 3:57 AM
kying418

Edited: 02/17/13 4:01 AM
sonny listen - Greetings readers,
I think there have been several misunderstandings on this thread.
First and foremost, in regards to Charles McCarthy of ATT, Charles received his black belt from Ricardo Liborio, I believe in 2006 (+/- 1 year). Should my memory fail me in terms of the year, I am still certain that Charles is a 2nd degree black belt and fully qualified and authorized to promote his students as black belts as I met him personally in August, 2012.
In regards to the libelous posts about Robert's qualifications and his school, I took a gander and visited their website: http://www.islandtopteam.com/about/ The link seems to detail Robert's credentials and network in the BJJ community.
As well, nearly all their instructional videos are filmed in the Gi so I don't know how fair it is to say that his instruction is lacking a core concept of grip work and traditional grip breaks. I think the misinterpretation of not being overwhelmed by grips when you're beginning was trying to be conveyed but I might be out in left field as well. I did however notice that a more recent follow-up video was posted http://youtu.be/qPeiapUKDQ0 which might help lift the veil of misinterpretation. It appears the content critique from the roars of this forum was heard and prompted a further clarification.
I'm not sure if the intention was to criticize with limited knowledge or misinformation, but perhaps visiting their YouTube channel or their website/blog might help you formulate your own and more comprehensive conclusion on Robert, his qualifications, and his camp. I think an easier solution may have been to just reach out and ask him directly to get the story straight as I or many others many convolute the truth.
Take care readers,
Sonny

Not to nitpick, but according to Google, Charles got his BB in May 2009- he is due for his second degree in May 2015.

I dont know Robert but I dont think anything "libelous" has been posted on this thread about him.  His about page really doesnt say that much.  Who did he get his blue, purple and brown belts under?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.