UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana offered to release Ryan Couture from contract

2/3/13 2:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HighFreq
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@arielhelwani: Ryan said it's my dream to fight in the UFC and I want to stay. Dana said this your house and I'm honored you said that.

@arielhelwani: Dana said he wanted Ryan to feel welcome and is happy he's staying. Randy, though, won't be welcome to corner or buy a UFC ticket, DW says. Phone Post
2/3/13 2:34 AM
shaqitup
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's funny that Randy could have potentially ruined his son's career.

2/3/13 2:35 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BUAHAHAHAHA 

Good. Randy fucked himself over. Now, we'll never get to see a HOF corner his son. 

Welcome to Bjornator.

2/3/13 2:39 AM
orcus

Is Dana able to block Randy from cornering? I would think that would be up to the ACs, who of course wouldn't give two shits about inter-promotional squabbling.

2/3/13 8:20 AM
Louisvillain
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What did the UFC offer Randy as far as tv exposure, commentating, etc?...

A man has got to get his.

2/3/13 8:24 AM
AK-BJJ

I was wondering what Dana was gonna do with this. I figured he'd throw Ryan to the wolves... Like offer BJ a million bucks to come back and kick the shit out of him then cut him lol
2/3/13 8:33 AM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Orcus has harpooned the correct.

2/3/13 9:03 AM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AK-BJJ - I was wondering what Dana was gonna do with this. I figured he'd throw Ryan to the wolves... Like offer BJ a million bucks to come back and kick the shit out of him then cut him lol
haha Phone Post
2/3/13 9:10 AM
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

Is Dana able to block Randy from cornering? I would think that would be up to the ACs, who of course wouldn't give two shits about inter-promotional squabbling.

The promoter would just deny him access to the building. Sort of like a bar reserving the right to refuse entry. I'd be surprised if that wasn't in their contracts.

You're right that the commission licenses corners but if he can't physically get in the building it's moot point. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:12 AM
LeftLowKick
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nachomama -
orcus - 

Nope. An Athletic Commission would have to deny Randy a license to be a second in order for him not be allowed to corner his son.

Promoters do not run Athletic Commissions. Influence in certain areas yes--but AC's follow statutes. Period.

Dana saying Randy can't buy a ticket to a UFC event sounds illegal, unethical or discriminatory to me.
It was said jest... I swear some of you were born without a shred of common sense Phone Post
2/3/13 9:14 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What did I miss? What's the back story here on Dana and Couture? Phone Post
2/3/13 9:36 AM
HexRei

Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan - 
orcus -

The promoter would just deny him access to the building. Sort of like a bar reserving the right to refuse entry. I'd be surprised if that wasn't in their contracts.

You're right that the commission licenses corners but if he can't physically get in the building it's moot point. Phone Post

I am a little surprised that that tactic works with cornermen, but not refs or judged, for example. dana has made it clear that he disagrees with some judging and that he'd be happy to never see maz ref another of his fights. so why can't he just refuse to let maz enter the building and have another ref handle his bouts for the night?
2/3/13 9:44 AM
DMBpig
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy obviously can but Dana said he wouldn't be welcomed and wouldnt want him to. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:49 AM
UGCTT_Capnsavem
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HaMMerHouseFAN - What did I miss? What's the back story here on Dana and Couture? Phone Post
Couture ditched his UFC ties and signed huge deal with Bellator and Spike to be a coach in Bellator's MMA "TUF" type show, as well as other shows for Spike and Viacom. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:50 AM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HaMMerHouseFAN - What did I miss? What's the back story here on Dana and Couture? Phone Post
You missed Randy getting a huge job with Bellator and Dana being pissed about it. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:53 AM
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei -
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan - 
orcus -

I am a little surprised that that tactic works with cornermen, but not refs or judged, for example. dana has made it clear that he disagrees with some judging and that he'd be happy to never see maz ref another of his fights. so why can't he just refuse to let maz enter the building and have another ref handle his bouts for the night?
Corner men are licensed by the commission whereas refs and judges ate employees of the commission.

Again I'd have to look at the rules/regs but I'm pretty sure you get the commission as a package.

Think about it like this:

Fighter A is licensed by commission X.

Promotion 123 doesn't like Fighter X so they don't use him/her and refuse them access to the show.

Same thing with a corner man IMO. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:54 AM
le

Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan -
orcus -

He could just tell Ryan if he's going to use his father as a corner man he won't be working with the UFC. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:57 AM
vaginal tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC can refuse ticket service to whomever they want. I have no idea if Dana an stop someone from cornering but I'm sure he will do all he can the make it happen.

If the MMA world hasn't learned already, a pissed off Dana is a terrible thing to have working against you. Phone Post
2/3/13 10:15 AM
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan

le - 
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan -
orcus -

He could just tell Ryan if he's going to use his father as a corner man he won't be working with the UFC. Phone Post

Think man. Ryan is a commodity who has the potential to be very profitable to the UFC. Why would they draw a line in the sand like that?

Dana has said Randy is persona non grata when it comes to UFC events.

He's quite happy to have Ryan there.

If anything I'd say this shows Dana is mellowing as he ages.
2/3/13 10:26 AM
Smellde Gluve
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/3/13 10:34 AM
WrestlingSucks
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its a moot point because ryan coutures ufc run will not go well imo
2/3/13 4:02 PM
le

Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan -
le - 
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan -
orcus -

Think man. Ryan is a commodity who has the potential to be very profitable to the UFC. Why would they draw a line in the sand like that?

I completely disagree.

Randy is probably a huge influence in Ryan's training. He's going to deprive him of having his father there in his corner, and won't even let him come sit in the building to cheer his son on?

He's hurting Ryan to spite Randy, that shows he's as fucked up as he ever was. Phone Post
2/3/13 4:18 PM
mose
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan - 
le - 
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan -
orcus -

Let's be real, he does not have the potential to be very profitable to the UFC.

Ryan Couture is the MMA equivalent of Pete Rose Jr. Like Rose, he will have a very short, lackluster run in the big leagues because he just has nowhere near the talent of his old man.
2/3/13 4:39 PM
MMALOGIC

shaqitup - 

It's funny that Randy could have potentially ruined his son's career.

the only reason his son has a career is because of Randy... if Ryan had a different name he'd still be in the local circuit.

2/3/13 4:59 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gee, Dana can't comment on Lloyd Irvin or say he never wants him to corner again but Randy is banned?

Yeah.

Obviously Dana can't do this.

What's pathetic is that he is petty enough to do his best to make it happen.

Dana takes care of the UFC and Dana.

As he should.

Why not should fighters look out for their own financial interests?

I guess there wasn't a phony office job like Hughes and Liddell to offer to Randy.

Ronda Rousey losing would serve Dana right.

Because that would hurt his feelings and prove the "nerds" wrong and is petty to even think about. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.