UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Beware of Mr. Baker (doc)

2/3/13 4:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Majic Sam
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the best new documentaries out.Ginger Baker,drummer with Cream and Blind Faith lets it all hang out with an upstart film maker,a former NY State Golden Gloves champion who faked his way into Ginger's South African compound,all the while posing as a Rolling Stone reporter.Great flick.
2/3/13 9:44 AM
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This looks to be really interesting, though maybe a bit depressing.

I never really understood Baker as "the greatest drummer", I must confess, though I can't count the number of times somebody or other sat me down to make listen to "Do What You Like" again. And this is not to say he wasn't very good indeed, and it's not to say I'm a drummer or someone who has a good reason to claim to have a clue.

The "faked his way in" aspect of the filmmaker's project sounds bizarre. Did Baker figure it out and accept it, or is there going to be some serious suing going on?
2/3/13 6:18 PM
Majic Sam
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is a bit depressing,but more humorous than one would expect.As Clapton said,Ginger is a rogue,but a loveable rogue.

Ginger gets the title of the world's greatest rock drummer simply by being the first to let it all hang out.Bonham and Moon were amazing,but Ginger had a few more tricks up his sleeve in that he could swing harder,play jazz and African music.Ian Paice and Mitch Mitchell could swing but came to the fold a bit later.

The film maker first did a story on Ginger,THEN sold it to Rolling Stone.Truth later came out in the wash and went on to make the doc.

Ginger admits that he is not a very nice person,but his love for his polo horses is unquestionable.He blew all his money transporting them around the planet as he has been deprted from pretty well every country he has lived in.
2/3/13 6:28 PM
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post, Majic Sam -- Mitchell and Paice were guys that immediately came to mind, and you paired them the way they did. Mitchell in particular more comparable as the "jazz" guy playing heavy rock, which Baker claimed to be.

There are a bunch of "real" jazz drummers I can think of -- even some English ones -- but they stayed in jazz.

I thought when Laswell dug him up for recording again in the 80s, he was spending his time growing olives. I didn't know a thing about his polo obsession. And I'm very interested to see what was going on with him and Fela.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.