UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rashad vs. Shogun Next, Right?

2/3/13 5:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TenOfSwords
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who else makes sense for either of them?

2/3/13 5:14 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad should take this time to reinvent himself and debut at middleweight.

As for Shogun, he should fight Glover or Nog next.

2/3/13 5:19 AM
TenOfSwords
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/03/13 5:20 AM

While I have always agreed that Rashad should move down to 185 - quite literally, since the Machida loss! - who would he fight at 185 now?

No one who would pay him even 1/10th of what a Shogun fight would - and as Bigfoot said, the Lackzilians are all about $$$!

And forget about Shogun fighting Glover or Lil Nog next, as they're both coming off a win while Shogun is coming off a loss.

2/3/13 5:27 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

So what? Shogun is still a credible name to have on someone's record, hence Bader asking for the fight next.

There are plenty of matchups at 185 for Rashad. Forget the money, he makes it regardless of opponent. After one win at 185, he'll be headlining bouts.

2/3/13 5:28 AM
TenOfSwords

I hope you're right and Rashad does move down - and goes back with Greg Jackson, whose top MWs since Brian Stann left are now ... drum roll, please ... Derek Brunson and Buddy Roberts!

2/3/13 5:32 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

Ugh. Brunson belongs with Jackson for sure.

205 is a mess right now. I see an inevitable rematch occuring amongst 6 men at the top right now.

2/3/13 5:55 AM
Overseer got owned by BCE
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad should move down, Shogun should fight someone else coming off a loss IMO. Phone Post
2/3/13 5:57 AM
TenOfSwords

Edited: 02/03/13 5:59 AM

But if Rashad does move down, who at 205 who is coming off a loss would be available for Shogun to fight?  Vladimir Matyushenko?

Doubt if Rashad will move down though.  The payday he'd get for fighting Shogun would be impossible for him to pass up.

2/3/13 8:34 AM
beanouno
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun v lil nog 2 please! Phone Post
2/3/13 8:37 AM
Lazer MMA

I like the OP's post
2/3/13 8:40 AM
Fabes
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
yellow c0ckahlc -

Rashad should take this time to reinvent himself and debut at middleweight.

As for Shogun, he should fight Glover or Nog next.

Agreed Phone Post
2/3/13 3:48 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

Thaiguy, no. Why would you want Shogun to fight another big name who would most likely decision Shogun into a living death?

You're slipping. Focus.

2/3/13 3:52 PM
Silva vs Fedor
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolutely. First off, always wanted to see this fight and if Rashad tries to cruise against Shogun in the way he did against Nogueira, well, I see a much more devastating outcome for Sugar.

I think Shogun will push a higher a pace than little Nog and force Rashad to rise to the occasion with his wrestling, whether or not Rashad would be successful, I think he'd be forced to engage in and it would be entertaining. Shogun tends to bring that out of a lot of great fighters, and I still think Rashad is a very capable, great fighter.

Something seemed way off in Evans last night. Not to put Nog down, but, I don't know, Rashad looked sharp as far as his movement goes and his takedown attempts just seemed half the effort I would expect of him.

If it only boils down to his footwork being better than Nog's-and-because of that, Evans felt comfortable to cruise through cautiously as he did, that wouldn't be possible against Shogun because of his aggressive style and better ability to close the distance and throw with bad intentions and Rashad MUST have an answer to that.

Despite Rashad's performance I think he'd "have" to dig deep against Shogun and puch back just as hard with his wrestling and I think it'd bring the best out of him and be an entertaining fight.

Agree with OP.

Shogun/Nog II as some others stated would be a great fight too, but I find the Shogun/Rashad fight more interesting because it'd be the classic "Can Rashad utilize his wrestling well enough to negate Shogun's barrage-styled attack? Would Shogun's somewhat underrated grappling ability be enough to stop Rashad's wrestling in order to force scrambles, get back to the feet and swing the favor in the fight back into Rua's corner for him to work his striking."

I love the classic base wrestler v.s. base striker match and Rashad still has elements of striking that while not spectacular are above average and the same can be said about Shogun's grappling.

I'd tune in for it, regardless, I think Rua would really push the fight and Rashad would have to have an answer, even if it's attempting to safely cruise to a decision with positional control I'd be interested to see how it plays out.

And I don't want to get conspiratorial but I just couldn't understand
what Sugar was trying to accomplish last night, especially based on his performances against Titio, Davis and even Jones and I don't think he'd be able to hang back like he did last night while in the cage with Shogun.

Fan of both guys, respect both guys and would like to see it happen.
2/3/13 3:57 PM
ALAR88

Edited: 02/03/13 3:56 PM
Shogun would LOVE to blitz a hesitant Rashad, don't see it being that great of a fight if Rashad can't let his hands go.
2/3/13 4:14 PM
rockwell
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc -

So what? Shogun is still a credible name to have on someone's record, hence Bader asking for the fight next.

There are plenty of matchups at 185 for Rashad. Forget the money, he makes it regardless of opponent. After one win at 185, he'll be headlining bouts.

Bader doesn't want to fight shogun.
He wants to lay on him for a decision. Phone Post
2/3/13 4:32 PM
epic hero

Shogun comes to fight, if you want to stand there playing patty-cake he will ko you

I think Rashad should take some time off and drop to MW(if he still has another title run left in him, I was already questioning his mental state going into the Nog fight, with the getting extremely out of shape in between fights and stuff like that, saying he contemplated retirement)

Shogun is taking time off from fighting to train with Roach and just trying to improve his game so I'm not sure what's next for him, I'd like to see him fight somebody like Thiago Silva and then climb back up to fight the top contenders
2/3/13 4:44 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

rockwell - 
yellow c0ckahlc -

Bader doesn't want to fight shogun.
He wants to lay on him for a decision. Phone Post

Hmm touche.

2/3/13 4:45 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad to 185 and Shogun vs winner of Te Huna/Jimmo Phone Post
2/3/13 4:45 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd rather see Shogun and Nog fight again. Phone Post
2/3/13 4:47 PM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im with op. ive wanted to see rashad shogun for a long time. great stylistic matchup.

2/3/13 4:50 PM
DarceSideoftheMoon
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad v Bisping 85
2/3/13 4:56 PM
Lazer MMA

Fan of Shad but the way he has fought the last 2 fights, I have no idea why people are saying Shad via wrestlefuck (over anyone). Best for him to go a new camp and try to remember he's a top MMA wrestler!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.