UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: I don't respect Randy Couture at all

2/3/13 12:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Philanderer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does Randy corner his son? Dana said that Ryan still wants to fight in the UFC.
2/3/13 12:59 PM
duckhuntgangsta
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was a really cool part of the article:

"I called Ryan Couture, I said, you signed a deal for us to fight in the UFC," White said. "I want you here if you want to be here. But I need you to understand this: Me and your dad are not good, me and your dad are never going to be good, ever, ever again, as long as I walk this f-- planet. ... I want to be honest, I want to be upfront, if you want me to release you from your contract so that you can go do a deal with Bellator and have your dad, maybe work with him and go up and do whatever, I would do that."

2/3/13 1:01 PM
vaginal tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -

"I called Ryan Couture, I said, you signed a deal for us to fight in the UFC," White said. "I want you here if you want to be here. But I need you to understand this: Me and your dad are not good, me and your dad are never going to be good, ever, ever again, as long as I walk this f-- planet. ... I want to be honest, I want to be upfront, if you want me to release you from your contract so that you can go do a deal with Bellator and have your dad, maybe work with him and go up and do whatever, I would do that."

Ryan's first fight. Melvin Guillard. Phone Post
2/3/13 1:06 PM
duckhuntgangsta
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AgedCaviar -  It's just business. RC don't owe the UFC anything. He helped build the brand and is an all time great. If he chose to opt out of/ not fulfill the last broadcasting gig on his contract, I'm sure he paid a penalty as specified within his contract. That said, RC is not the man I thought he was back in the day, and for that I am disappoint. Phone Post

In all due respect, It's not "just business." There are ways to conduct yourself in personal and professional situatuions. Ideally Randy should have finished his committment to the UFC's Broad Cast team and then made his move. 

Randy should do what's best for Randy, but that doesn't mean he would have to burn bridges to do it. Sounds shady, but I'm sure Randy has his side of it. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Randy was waiting to make an FU to Dana because he was still bitter over the last contract dealings he had with the UFC. 

All that said, I think Randy is incredibly short siighted and is hurting his brand. The UFC would have continued to market him as one of the all time greats giving him opportunity after opportunity to promote himself and the UFC. He just threw that all away for a paycheck. It seriously bottles the mind. 

2/3/13 1:09 PM
duckhuntgangsta

vaginal tear - 
duckhuntgangsta -

It's a step up in comp. but I think that's a winable fight for Ryan. I doubt Dana had much, if anything, to do with that match making. 

2/3/13 1:12 PM
dream123

I'm just amazed Dana was surprised at being fucked over by Randy Couture yet again. Randy Couture has never been loyal in business or marriage.
2/3/13 1:24 PM
Chaelismyhero

Why does Dana care? Randy can do whatever he wants.
2/3/13 1:27 PM
vaginal tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -
vaginal tear - 
duckhuntgangsta -

It's a step up in comp. but I think that's a winable fight for Ryan. I doubt Dana had much, if anything, to do with that match making. 

That match up isn't made that I know of. I was being sarcastic that Dana could throw Ryan some terrible match ups. Phone Post
2/3/13 1:29 PM
D241

vaginal tear just jinxed the fuck out of Ryan lol

duckhuntgangsta

Frank Gallagher - 
duckhuntgangsta -

You should watch the scrum when he talks about it. Phone Post

Link? I'll try to find it...by "cool" I didn't mean that in a positive or negative way for Dana. I just thought it was insteresting. Context is important. you are correct sir.

pennviachoke
925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He might not be handling it right, but I can't fault Randy for wanting to try and be a crucial part of Bellator. Huge opportunity for him, especially if Bellator gets big like teh UFC. Phone Post
2/3/13 1:31 PM
duckhuntgangsta

vaginal tear - 
duckhuntgangsta -
vaginal tear - 
duckhuntgangsta -

That match up isn't made that I know of. I was being sarcastic that Dana could throw Ryan some terrible match ups. Phone Post

Haha, that's funny. Its not a bad match making Ryan. Melvin has lost four of his last five, most recently on a two fight skid. I think it would be a fair fight. Now if you had said Nate Diaz....

2/3/13 1:34 PM
Sandy Pantz
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like how Dana basically admits he sold suckers a false image of Randy Couture for years and people are okay with that and taking up for Dana.

"Yeah Randy's an asshole, but as long as I could make money tricking people into thinking otherwise, it's ok."

-Dana
2/3/13 1:36 PM
duckhuntgangsta

pennviachoke -  He might not be handling it right, but I can't fault Randy for wanting to try and be a crucial part of Bellator. Huge opportunity for him, especially if Bellator gets big like teh UFC. Phone Post

Bellator won't get big like the UFC. They could become a great cable TV promotion, but they won't sell PPV's the way the UFC does. 

If Bellator was smarter, less arrogant, they would position themselves as the NCAA of MMA. No one has a firm foothold in that market space. 

They should create contracts that allows the UFC to make active bids on their talent, which Bellator gets a cut of, and exposure of their brand when that fighter competes for the UFC. 

They could make more money working with the UFC instead of against them but that's not going to happen. 

2/3/13 1:39 PM
duckhuntgangsta

Sandy Pantz - I like how Dana basically admits he sold suckers a false image of Randy Couture for years and people are okay with that and taking up for Dana.

"Yeah Randy's an asshole, but as long as I could make money tricking people into thinking otherwise, it's ok."

-Dana

Show me where Dana says that "Randy is a saint, an american hero, a role model for children and men alike." or something alson those lines....

Dana has usually kept his praise of Randy to his acomplishments in the cage and never really remarked about him outside of it IIRC.

2/3/13 1:41 PM
Stan Dan Wang

nnnnnnnnnnnnnobody cares D'anus.
2/3/13 1:43 PM
vaginal tear

duckhuntgangsta -
vaginal tear - 
duckhuntgangsta -
vaginal tear - 
duckhuntgangsta -

Haha, that's funny. Its not a bad match making Ryan. Melvin has lost four of his last five, most recently on a two fight skid. I think it would be a fair fight. Now if you had said Nate Diaz....

When Melvin is off he gets subbed left and right. When he is on he is a KO artist.

They could stick Ryan w the blanket bocek or cerrone. It'll be interesting go Ryan's first fight is for sure. Phone Post
2/3/13 1:52 PM
pennviachoke
925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -
pennviachoke -  He might not be handling it right, but I can't fault Randy for wanting to try and be a crucial part of Bellator. Huge opportunity for him, especially if Bellator gets big like teh UFC. Phone Post

Bellator won't get big like the UFC. They could become a great cable TV promotion, but they won't sell PPV's the way the UFC does. 

If Bellator was smarter, less arrogant, they would position themselves as the NCAA of MMA. No one has a firm foothold in that market space. 

They should create contracts that allows the UFC to make active bids on their talent, which Bellator gets a cut of, and exposure of their brand when that fighter competes for the UFC. 

They could make more money working with the UFC instead of against them but that's not going to happen. 

I agree, Bellator won't get to UFC type status. I like ur idea but it would take alot of pride swallowing by Bjorn to do that, & I don't think he would do that. Phone Post
2/3/13 1:52 PM
Smellde Gluve
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/3/13 1:54 PM
Brian J DSouza

Randy has made a lot of poor business decisions from retiring to attempt to break his UFC contract to misrepresenting his pay.

However, UFC can easily find many former champions to commentate, and those are the guys who should be rewarded rather than worrying about punishing Randy somehow.

2/3/13 1:55 PM
MickColins
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smelldaglove ftw.

I know its just business but the UFC seems to have treated Randy very,very well. Not even calling Dana back is a chickenshit move.

2/3/13 1:56 PM
duckhuntgangsta

pennviachoke - 
duckhuntgangsta -

I agree, Bellator won't get to UFC type status. I like ur idea but it would take alot of pride swallowing by Bjorn to do that, & I don't think he would do that. Phone Post

Bjorn will do whatever Viacom / SPIKE tells him to do. 

2/3/13 1:57 PM
duckhuntgangsta

Brian J DSouza - 

Randy has made a lot of poor business decisions from retiring to attempt to break his UFC contract to misrepresenting his pay.

However, UFC can easily find many former champions to commentate, and those are the guys who should be rewarded rather than worrying about punishing Randy somehow.

Randy is punishing himself. That's exactly what will happen. 

2/3/13 2:00 PM
Smellde Gluve
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - 

Smelldaglove ftw.

I know its just business but the UFC seems to have treated Randy very,very well. Not even calling Dana back is a chickenshit move.

Thanks!

2/3/13 2:03 PM
pennviachoke

duckhuntgangsta -
pennviachoke - 
duckhuntgangsta -

Bjorn will do whatever Viacom / SPIKE tells him to do. 

Maybe, he's pretty stubborn though. Did he give up alot of control to Viacom/spike? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.