UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Edgar return to 155 'not gonna happen'

2/3/13 3:33 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

While former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar said he's not really sure what the future holds after losing to Jose Aldo Saturday night, his third in a row, UFC President Dana White said it won't include a return to 155 pounds.

"He's not going to 55," said White. "That's not going to happen."

"I like Frankie Edgar a lot as a person. Take away the whole fighting thing – I like him as a person, as a human being, and I don't ever want to see him at 155 pounds. The guys are too big and too strong at 155.

"Yes, I know he was the champion. I know he beat legends and had close fights and everything else, but you can only fight so long in those types of wars with bigger, stronger guys. It's not good."

Edgar's camp said recently that a move to 135 might be possible.

"I like that better," White said. "The lower he goes, the happier I am. I don't want him going any higher."

Read entire article...

What weigh class do you wan to se Edgar fight in?

2/3/13 3:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DoctorVanNostran
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daddy says no Frankie. Phone Post
2/3/13 3:45 PM
Leigh
953 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edgar might be smaller than McCall Phone Post
2/3/13 3:48 PM
JOESONDO
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is it better that he cut to 135 instead of fight at 155?
2/3/13 3:51 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still think he's best at 155.  Hell, he's arguably the best LW fighter in the world.

That said, I think FW is also a good fit for him.

2/3/13 4:22 PM
rockwell
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't care what weight Frankie fights at but wherever he ends it up it should be HIS decision not the whim of a promoter.

It's shit like this that makes me dislike Dana. Phone Post
2/3/13 4:23 PM
TexDeuce
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/3/13 4:26 PM
Shinsplint
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah. Fuck anybody telling a former LW champ he can't fight in that catagory.
2/3/13 4:27 PM
rockwell
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shinsplint - Yeah. Fuck anybody telling a former LW champ he can't fight in that catagory.
Yup. And what if Frankie finds it hard to cut and does damage to his body that way?

Dana should STFU and let Frankie and his team decide what's best for Frankie. Phone Post
2/3/13 4:36 PM
MMALOGIC

he can get another shot at the 145lb belt after a a win or 2.... he doesnt have that a 155.  if he loses again at 145, hen he can move down to 135 and vye for that title.

more importantly he needs to change his fighting style... his natural gifts of stamina and heart lend themselves to being a pressure fighter ala cain not a ballerina.

2/3/13 4:41 PM
Joe_Drogan420

Poor Frankie, he's in such an odd position. Such a talented fighter with heart, just needs more finishing ability.
2/3/13 4:46 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I definitely think he has the build for 135. I used to train with BW, Chad George. I saw Frankie in person a few weeks ago, for the first time. I was really surprised by his size - probably about the same as Chad. Other LWs I've seen, look like they're 3 classes above Frankie.
2/3/13 4:47 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Er... clarification: I used to take lessons from Chad. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was in his camp or something.
2/3/13 4:59 PM
OzMafioso
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rockwell - I don't care what weight Frankie fights at but wherever he ends it up it should be HIS decision not the whim of a promoter.

It's shit like this that makes me dislike Dana. Phone Post
This. Can't stand that shit. Phone Post
2/3/13 9:38 PM
r_o_y

Edited: 02/03/13 10:21 PM
Wow does everyone take offense to everything Dana says? It's Frankie's decision up to a point. In the end your employer decides what you do. Frankie looks like a 35/45er anyway.
2/3/13 9:43 PM
orcus

Ridiculous. Frankie arguably took more damage against Aldo than against any 155er other than the second fight with Gray. Frankie damn sure had less takedown success against Aldo than anyone else.

Why force the guy to fight in a division with essentially zero big fights other than the champ who just dominated him?

145 and 135 have absolutely no big money fights other than Aldo, Faber, and Cruz...and none of those are as big as a big fight at 155.

2/3/13 9:59 PM
ViciousCesar
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I liked him at 155, better matches for his quick stick and move style. At 145 I don't see him having a speed advantage and having his stand up exploited.
2/3/13 10:04 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just let him bang Dana, let him bang!
2/4/13 12:55 AM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the best thing would be for him to stay at 145 and have Faber come back up to 145 and have them fight each other. Stylistically it could be an interesting fight and both of them are in title-limbo for a while.

I could care less where he fights, as long as he's far away from the belt with all his "I'll try to do throw a bunch of taps and point takedowns, move around a lot and do just enough to win rounds" focus leading to so many close/controversial decisions. If he wants to fight at 155, 45, 35, whichever he's happiest at, let him fight there. But I think a fight with Faber would be best.
2/4/13 1:03 AM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

Ridiculous. Frankie arguably took more damage against Aldo than against any 155er other than the second fight with Gray. Frankie damn sure had less takedown success against Aldo than anyone else.

Why force the guy to fight in a division with essentially zero big fights other than the champ who just dominated him?

145 and 135 have absolutely no big money fights other than Aldo, Faber, and Cruz...and none of those are as big as a big fight at 155.

Actually Edgar was a total of 4 for 27 (1/5, 3/11 and 0/11) in takedown attempts against Maynard, 4 for 22 (1/13, 3/9) vs Penn, and 1 for 7 vs Sherk. He was 2 for 11 vs Aldo. So he did poorly in TD's against Aldo, but it was comparable to a couple of his other fights.

His overall TD success rate is only 35%. He's never really, whether for lack of skill or desire to just land TD's for points, been able to keep people on the mat long. I agree with your basic point but Edgar's TD ability has been exaggerated for a while, not just against Aldo.
2/4/13 1:21 AM
orcus

1/7 against Sherk sounds weird, I don't remember him even going for any. Actually all those stats sound a little strange; 27 takedown attempts in one fight against Maynard? Are they counting every time he puts a hand on a guy?

2/4/13 1:30 AM
r_o_y

gamer - Its stuf like this that really pisses me off about Dana

He has no right to tell Frankie where he can and can not fight

If Frankie wants to fight at 155, then he has every right to

I usually like Dana, but fuck Dana trying to control everybody like this

Tbh being his employer gives him every right to do exactly that.
2/4/13 2:04 AM
32Hunter

JOESONDO - Why is it better that he cut to 135 instead of fight at 155?

exactly, "

hey lets dehydrate him 10 more pounds, then let him get beat on for 25 mins"
2/4/13 2:25 AM
r_o_y

gamer - 
r_o_y - 
gamer - Its stuf like this that really pisses me off about Dana

He has no right to tell Frankie where he can and can not fight

If Frankie wants to fight at 155, then he has every right to

I usually like Dana, but fuck Dana trying to control everybody like this

Tbh being his employer gives him every right to do exactly that.

This is the fight game

This isnt some 9 to 5 desk job lol

And if anything else, fighters are more like independent contractors

What I said stands!

A job is a job. You do what your employer tells you same as anywhere else.

Being a fighter doesn't get you special rights.
2/4/13 3:37 AM
Emphatik
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/04/13 3:39 AM
edit function sucks.

Anyway, basically agreeing the Dana has no right to dictate weights, thats for the fighter and the camp.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.