UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Daily ab work out

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/4/13 10:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chael Sonnen Money
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've hear from many different sources that daily ab work is bad, and I've heard from many different sources that daily ab work is good. What's the general thought on daily ab work?

Routine
500 full body crunches
500 crunches
36 L sits
45 Knee raises
45 Ab wheel roll outs Phone Post
2/4/13 11:00 AM
BazUK
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you train any other muscle group in a similar fashion? 1126 reps in total?

The abs are just another muscle group and should be trained like any other muscle group.

Baz
2/4/13 1:14 PM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think daily is a good idea. I would add resistance rather than performing reps that high.
2/4/13 1:44 PM
Badmonkey
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BazUK - Do you train any other muscle group in a similar fashion? 1126 reps in total?

The abs are just another muscle group and should be trained like any other muscle group.

Baz

This.

I do ab and lower back work every day as part of a full body warmup, but the level if intensity is very low. It seems like you want to burn out those muscles daily and i don't think it's a good idea unless you're entering an ab crunch contest.
2/4/13 5:48 PM
Taku
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/13 6:15 PM

Great points above.

As Baz said, the AB's are made of the same stuff as all of your other muscles. Would you train any other muscle with such high reps? Not likely.

I've always found that curious when people feel the need to jack up the reps on certain exercises. There is rarely (if ever) any truly good reason for it.

I do only 2-3 total sets of AB's, and the work for each set last roughly 60 seconds. so that's about 2-3 minutes of AB work. When I say "AB" stuff...I include lower back and rotational movements as well.

TAKU

2/5/13 10:23 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm on board with the minimalist approach to training abs. I might directly target abs with one or two movements per week. If I feel the need to get more core work in I usually use more ab intensive variations in my accessory work.

Doing the high rep daily layout you have in your OP will impede your training more than help it.
2/6/13 11:22 AM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i do abs 2 days per week. 1 flexion movement, 1 rotational movement, 1 side bending movement and 1 static/isometric movement. usually 3 sets of each exercise. i dont waste my time with girly exercises like crunches. along with whatever additional ab work i get from overhead press, deadlift, squat, etc. that is more than enough.
2/6/13 11:54 AM
Leigh
1006 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do no specific ab work Phone Post
2/7/13 11:23 PM
HULC
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since i've discovered hollow rocks i rarely do other ab exercises. Not only do i feel the work my abs well enough, i also think they tend to improve my posture, which is an added bonus.
2/8/13 12:29 AM
Chael Sonnen Money
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - Since i've discovered hollow rocks i rarely do other ab exercises. Not only do i feel the work my abs well enough, i also think they tend to improve my posture, which is an added bonus.
Explain. Phone Post
2/18/13 6:02 PM
andyman011

Chael Sonnen Money -
HULC - Since i've discovered hollow rocks i rarely do other ab exercises. Not only do i feel the work my abs well enough, i also think they tend to improve my posture, which is an added bonus.
Explain. Phone Post
Hollow rocks would be lying on your back arms up like a handstand. In that position your back should have a gap from the floor to make sure you're tense. Point toes and lift arms and legs about six inches and rock back and forth. 15 or 30 seconds at a time. Phone Post
2/19/13 1:08 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

I only do one day of specific ab work because the other 2 days I lift I deadlift and squat. I reckon my abs get a better workout on days I don't target them. Phone Post
2/19/13 1:56 AM
shootfighterbull

Weighted sit up's and weighted leg raises. 4 sets of each once a week. That's all I do. Phone Post
2/19/13 7:55 PM
The Gunslinger

I really think that for abs/trunk work the gymnastics movements are best-L sits, hollow rocks, levers when combined with basic weight training. A few others are really good like standing wheel rollouts.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.