UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Disappointed in Maia cheapshot off touch

2/4/13 11:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, Im aware that "Im mad, bro" and the world's smallest violin is playing just for me. Thanks. Go check out the "Lesnar/Overeem 2!?" thread, more up your speed.

Ive been a big Maia fan from day one. My friends and I would joke that the guy's he was creaming were BJJ black belts and you might actually be better of not being one since he knows all your shit better than you do.

But I really didnt like his tactic of "suckershooting" on Fitch. It spoiled the dynamic of the whole fight and left Fitch totally out of gas for the next 2 rounds.

If you want to shoot immediately, dont initiate a glove touch. Its equally as shitty as sticking your hand out and throwing a punch when the guy responds.

I hate all glove touching period. Its laughable in my opinion to be playing grabass during a live round of a professional fight.

But this gray area really needs to go. I wanted to see this awesome matchup playout on neutral grounds and instead, one deceitful move by Maia set the entire fight on a different course that it didnt return from.

Amazing back control from Maia and defense from Fitch.

2/4/13 11:27 AM
suess
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess i didnt even know this happened.  

2/4/13 11:29 AM
DOMINANTDAN#1FAN
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You you're saying that without that occurring Maia wouldn't have dominated Fitch? After watching the fight, Id have to disagree. Phone Post
2/4/13 11:29 AM
Lefthook33
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought he gave enough time between touching gloves and shooting. Phone Post
2/4/13 11:31 AM
NorthFromHere
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com

2/4/13 11:31 AM
danggook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worst post ever. Suckershoot? What fight were you watching. Phone Post
2/4/13 11:33 AM
NiteProwleR
755 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fool me twice
2/4/13 11:35 AM
Willin
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for GIF. Phone Post
2/4/13 11:36 AM
jude099

he touched gloves and then shot. what do you want? A warm embrace?

2/4/13 11:38 AM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

danggook - Worst post ever. Suckershoot? What fight were you watching. Phone Post
He's right though. I said the same thing when I watched it.

P.S. Stop with the touching of gloves already! Save it for after the fight. Phone Post
2/4/13 11:40 AM
Crooklyn
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

I was more disappointed with how many times Fitch grabbed the fence.

2/4/13 11:40 AM
UGSlapshot

DOMINANTDAN#1FAN - You you're saying that without that occurring Maia wouldn't have dominated Fitch? After watching the fight, Id have to disagree. Phone Post
I don't think that's what he's saying, he feels it was unsportsmanlike and he's bummed one of his favorite fighters would be cheap.

I thought it was quick but not unsportsmanlike. Phone Post
2/4/13 11:44 AM
Archer0545

Crooklyn -

This Phone Post
HandyDarsh
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if i could quote posts on my computer, i would have quoted this one:

"i was more disapointed by how many times fitch grabbed the fence"

i figured a point would be taken away for sure

ortman166

Dr Doom - Not sure if he initiated that.

The way he ran across the cage, Fitch should have abandoned the glove touch. Clear what his intention was.

If Maia had a history of being a cheat we could be angry, but he doesn't so I wouldn't judge him for this.
This Maia just went after him Phone Post
2/4/13 11:45 AM
HandyDarsh
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/04/13 11:47 AM

didnt bj penn start his fight with fitch the EXACT same way?

*EDIT*

he touched gloves, then gave fitch 2 seconds and fitch was backing up the whole time.

(just watched)

2/4/13 11:46 AM
OGT
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it was such a big deal I wonder why Fitch touched gloves again the next two rounds Phone Post
2/4/13 11:50 AM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/04/13 11:50 AM

I dont think it had any affect on the outcome.... maybe it was borderline... but Fitch had to know something was up the way Maia was coming at him.... 

2/4/13 11:53 AM
Rival School

B.S. in for GIF Phone Post
2/4/13 11:53 AM
oldwrestler
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

instituting the glove touch during ref instructions and coming out of the corner fighting would stop any questions on glove touching

the worst are mid-round glove touches for a good exchange

2/4/13 11:56 AM
DOMINANTDAN#1FAN
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGSlapshot -
DOMINANTDAN#1FAN - You you're saying that without that occurring Maia wouldn't have dominated Fitch? After watching the fight, Id have to disagree. Phone Post
I don't think that's what he's saying, he feels it was unsportsmanlike and he's bummed one of his favorite fighters would be cheap.

I thought it was quick but not unsportsmanlike. Phone Post
I was picking up on him saying that one thing started the fight on a path it never returned from. Imo that's where it was going and Fitch was powerless to stop it regardless. Phone Post
2/4/13 11:56 AM
ufc98newb
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i got the feeling watching it that Maia wanted to go right in for the takedown and then fitch put the glove out to touch which Maia didn't seem quite ready for but went for the touch out of respect then went for the quick takedown he intended all along...could be wrong or remembering wrong. just seemed awkward

2/4/13 11:58 AM
UGSlapshot

Archer0545 -
Crooklyn -

This Phone Post
They should stop the fight and give the fighter attempting the td the option to restart the fight in guard.

I don't think anyone deserves to lose a fight because they grab the fence IE getting a point taken, but I don't think it should be allowed either. Phone Post
2/4/13 12:02 PM
FlyingSubsOnly

It wasn't Colton Smith status...
It's not Maia's job to make sure Fitch is ready for the attack and prepared to defend. He didn't fake the the touch and change levels for a TD.

He came out of the gate quick and touched at the same time because Fitch put his hand out. Fitch was bracing himself the second he saw Maia coming at him. It's not like Maia/Fitch motioned to touch in advance, if he had a gameplan to come out hard and fast, that's his prerogative and Fitch should be prepared for that gameplan.
2/4/13 12:03 PM
xakx

Stop crying about the fence grabbing it did nothing to effect the outcome of the fight.

Dry humping from behind effected the outcome of the fight.

If this guys is such a BJJ master why couldn't he submit him? Does Fitch carry a high ranking black belt that i didn't know about?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.