UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Disappointed in Maia cheapshot off touch

2/4/13 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HELWIG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitch's hair and attitude about getting controlled were both absurd.

2/5/13 3:33 AM
Fight! UK Online
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing wrong with that. I think maybe Fitch's fringe got in the way of his vision though, thus rendering him late to the sprawl party.

2/5/13 3:48 AM
JayBRO

Crooklyn -

I was more disappointed with how many times Fitch grabbed the fence.

Lmao, exactly Phone Post
2/5/13 3:53 AM
phillipinho
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was fine. Phone Post
2/5/13 8:37 AM
Batarnaque
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joe canada - OP gets the rarest of the rare JoeCanada vote up.

Huge fan of both men, but if Maia were a card player, that would be angling.

Pretty much exactly the analogy I wanted to say. Not dirty at all, but it still feels to me like Maia should have waited half a second more before the shot; that being said, Fitch was backing off and kind of asking for it... or at least he was expecting it.

I'm neutral on this after seeing the gif.
2/5/13 8:41 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere -

Lmfao! Phone Post
2/5/13 9:13 AM
TARRat
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 

C'mon that was fair and square, he touched the glove waited till he pulled his hand back then shot.

Yes it was fast but not cheap from where I see it

Count me in on this train of thought, too.
2/5/13 9:23 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn -

this Phone Post
2/5/13 10:39 AM
atrixospithikos

That was not a cheapshot. The only disappointment from this fight was that Maia didnt get the finish. Other than that it was an exceptional display of grappling skills. Doing that to Fitch of all people is impressive. Maia is a beast at 170.
2/5/13 10:54 AM
LyotoBundy
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh -

if i could quote posts on my computer, i would have quoted this one:

"i was more disapointed by how many times fitch grabbed the fence"

i figured a point would be taken away for sure

I'm gonna quote this quote. Phone Post
2/5/13 11:04 AM
kikenyoy
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jaybrone - 
Kostakio - 
danggook - Worst post ever. Suckershoot? What fight were you watching. Phone Post
He's right though. I said the same thing when I watched it.

P.S. Stop with the touching of gloves already! Save it for after the fight. Phone Post

Protect yourself at ALL times. That means from bell to bell you have to protect yourself.

Before and after the bell too (Herring and Daley).

I think the only time fighters should touch gloves during a round is after a foul. I don't like when they touch gloves at the start of each round and absolutely hate it when they do it during the rounds after good exchanges. Joe Stevenson is the worst one I can remember. He used to do it constantly.
2/5/13 11:18 AM
raf6683

Whats the difference if he touched gloves and waited another 5 seconds? the fight would have played out the same...

He didnt immediately shoot in like that during rounds 2 or 3 so whats the excuse for those rounds??

Fitch got handled, we all saw it coming, and I personaly dont think that 2 second change of action would have created a totally new outcome.
2/5/13 11:25 AM
dermotfix
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many fights have you been rooting for a fighter to start off a round with a major strike or takedown only to have it ruined by the other fighter coming out and insisting on a glove touch?

I always felt it was an unsporting avoidance tactic and as such should be punished by the opponent.

That's not what happened here though.

2/5/13 12:19 PM
kyllianc

If you are going to criticize Maia for the "sucker-shooting" then the holding of the fence should be criticized as well. Both are very unsportsmanlike if Maia did happen to do it. But both are very uncharacteristic of each fighter, goes to show how big the fight was.
2/5/13 1:00 PM
Scream13
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn - 

THIS!!! how many warnings??!
2/5/13 1:51 PM
SQUEEZIE

oldwrestler - instituting the glove touch during ref instructions and coming out of the corner fighting would stop any questions on glove touching

the worst are mid-round glove touches for a good exchange

they do touch gloves then.then for some reason feel the need to touch gloves again...plz stop the hugs and glove touches during the five min of combat.before and after round is ok.during the round is not ok!
2/5/13 2:28 PM
knuckleballs

Legit move.
2/5/13 2:42 PM
xakx

cheap move, effected the outcome of the fight.

slight fence grabbing, not cheap,natural reaction, did not effect the outcome of the fight.
2/5/13 3:48 PM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xakx - cheap move, effected the outcome of the fight.

slight fence grabbing, not cheap,natural reaction, did not effect the outcome of the fight.

except one is legal and the other illegal. troll elsewhere
2/5/13 6:25 PM
jaytrainwreck
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere -

Daniel Cormier with the nice head movement. Phone Post
2/5/13 8:28 PM
ghostboner

HELWIG - 

Yes, Im aware that "Im mad, bro" and the world's smallest violin is playing just for me. Thanks. Go check out the "Lesnar/Overeem 2!?" thread, more up your speed.

Ive been a big Maia fan from day one. My friends and I would joke that the guy's he was creaming were BJJ black belts and you might actually be better of not being one since he knows all your shit better than you do.

But I really didnt like his tactic of "suckershooting" on Fitch. It spoiled the dynamic of the whole fight and left Fitch totally out of gas for the next 2 rounds.

If you want to shoot immediately, dont initiate a glove touch. Its equally as shitty as sticking your hand out and throwing a punch when the guy responds.

I hate all glove touching period. Its laughable in my opinion to be playing grabass during a live round of a professional fight.

But this gray area really needs to go. I wanted to see this awesome matchup playout on neutral grounds and instead, one deceitful move by Maia set the entire fight on a different course that it didnt return from.

Amazing back control from Maia and defense from Fitch.

I voiced similar disappointment in another thread. Spot on imo. Was also a Maia fan, sad to see it. What all the people harping about the fence grab need to remember is the word "premeditated". Fence grabbing is not necessarily premeditated, Maia's tactic obviously was.
2/5/13 8:31 PM
ghostboner

And if you think spending 5 minutes with Damian Maia on your back before you get to start fighting doesn't change the outcome, then you are not in touch with reality.
2/5/13 8:39 PM
MickColins
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn -

Damn skippy. Took until like 2 minutes into the third round for Winslow to even warn him. Phone Post
2/5/13 9:16 PM
JDkoa
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

puss'nmitts - Poor Fitch. All he wanted was to bang.

lol
2/5/13 10:04 PM
Shinsplint
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was not a planned thing.

Maia had a game plan he'd been working over and over for weeks coming into the fight. He slowed his approach after the touch and then shot. What was he supposed to do, touch gloves and then ask Fitch if he was ready to fight? Stand in the middle of the ring for 3 seconds and then shoot? His plan was to get on his leg like a pitbull and thats what he did. There was no fake out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.