UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Disappointed in Maia cheapshot off touch

2/5/13 10:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zazen br
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitch grabbed the fence at least 3 times through the fight, every single time trying to defend takedowns...
2/5/13 11:02 PM
Headkick420

GIF FTW!!!!

Stop crying you baby back bitches. Maia dominated Fitch and would do it again the same way.

You wanna complain about someone cheating, complain about Anderson grabbing Chaels' shorts the whole second fight. He is a cheater.
2/5/13 11:15 PM
RKing85
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no problems with people who take advantage of the situation when your opponent is dumb enough to leave himself vulnerable when a round is in progress.
2/5/13 11:20 PM
HELWIG
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"And if you think spending 5 minutes with Damian Maia on your back before you get to start fighting doesn't change the outcome, then you are not in touch with reality."

Correct.

Still like Maia.

But it completely threw Fitch off and he had nothing left in rounds 2 and 3.

Maybe the exact same thing happens without it. We'll never know.

Maia should have IGNORED the glove touch and just shot. Nothing to say about that.

But I call it like I see it. Hominick did it with a suckerpunch and got dropped. Tanner did a sucker clinch with The Crow and wound up getting stopped on a cut from an elbow.

Solution = stop with the glove touch shit.

Or, if youre gonna do it, do it how you do in training and both guys take a step back and then fight.

But seriously, just dont do it at all.
2/5/13 11:34 PM
DaemonDragon
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Fitch's cardio was done in a fake touch, then his cardio would be pretty bad.

But we know Fitch to have some of the best cardio in the sport. Saying 1 round of defending an RNC drained Fitch is crazy.

But that was completely sportsmanlike anyway - both fighters had time to pull their hands back and reset. That was not one of those instant cheap shot moments, at all. And Maia clearly did not plan it in advance, he just reacted.
2/5/13 11:42 PM
Mayweedz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/05/13 11:43 PM
really doubt Maia was really thinking about any issue of sportsmanship. He seemed to singlemindedly intend to go for takedown as soon as the bell rang, regardless and was rushing in for it. It was not cheap or intentional. Fitch's hand was out there so he just unthinkingly put his hand out there to to touch it while he was going in. In the heat of the moment I do not think he was thinking "let me touch his hand so it will be easier to shoot." He was just going for it regardless and was on autopilot.

If he did not touch the glove that Fitch put out and just went for the takedown, people here would be complaining that he lacks respect and is unsportman, anyways, for not bothering to touch it.
2/6/13 12:20 AM
MMA Architect
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lil rampage got CREtired -
NorthFromHere - 

ROFL WTF
I'm more interested in the backstory behind this gif than the thread topic.. Info please? Phone Post
2/6/13 12:25 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

I was more disapointed by maia's terrible and boring display of grappling. 25min of having fitch's back and never got close to finishing.
2/6/13 12:37 AM
MickColins
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I was more disapointed by maia's terrible and boring display of grappling. 25min of having fitch's back and never got close to finishing."

He came close atleast twice. Fitch was basically 100% defense. With 5 minute rounds, its hard to submit a guy of Fitch's skill who is 100% on the defense.

2/6/13 12:50 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Twice? This supposedly "great" bjjer rode the back of a significantly smaller fighter for 3 rnds and only came close to finishing twice? Lets be real....maybe maia is a decent bjjer while wearing a gi but when it comes to an actual fight, his mma-grappling is weak to nonexistant if hes not on top.
2/6/13 12:55 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Im warming up to a gsp vs maia fight. Gsp would sub him with his superior bjj imo.
2/6/13 12:58 AM
DaemonDragon
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Twice? This supposedly "great" bjjer rode the back of a significantly smaller fighter for 3 rnds and only came close to finishing twice? Lets be real....maybe maia is a decent bjjer while wearing a gi but when it comes to an actual fight, his mma-grappling is weak to nonexistant if hes not on top.

"Significantly smaller fighter"...notsureifserious.gif?? No idea if you're just flat trolling or what but Fitch if anything, Fitch is bigger than Maia. They're of roughly comparable size anyway.

Also there are very few - and let me emphasize this: VERY FEW grapplers on the planet that could completely school Fitch in BJJ the way Maia did.

I mean taking Fitch's back looked effortless for him, and Fitch is one of the most elite grapplers in the sport, who has some of the best anti-BJJ skills around.

Maia had Fitch's back probably for 11+ of the 15 mintues of the fight...that's just ridiculous. And Fitch couldn't do *anything* about it. He was completely in over his head.
2/6/13 12:59 AM
DaemonDragon

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Im warming up to a gsp vs maia fight. Gsp would sub him with his superior bjj imo.

Ah Ok. Nevermind my earlier post then, you got me.
2/6/13 1:01 AM
ghostboner
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If Fitch's cardio was done in a fake touch, then his cardio would be pretty bad."

It wasn't the fake glove touch, it was the body triangle that he spent the next 5 minutes in. Being stuck in a body triangle is grueling, and i'm pretty sure Maia knows how to use it to it's full effect.

I still like Maia, but I call it like I see it. Did he do anything illegal? Nope. But there is a high road and an "I didn't do anything illegal" road, I always thought of Maia as a guy who takes the former. He did an amazing job controlling Fitch, but like Helwig said, I would like to know if he could have done it without the glove touch fake-out, and we never will.
2/6/13 1:24 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Btw....other than a less than prime fitch, a spasmatic stungun and a white belt story...all of which have terrible TDD.... what has maia ever done to garner such respect?
2/6/13 1:31 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Twice? This supposedly "great" bjjer rode the back of a significantly smaller fighter for 3 rnds and only came close to finishing twice? Lets be real....maybe maia is a decent bjjer while wearing a gi but when it comes to an actual fight, his mma-grappling is weak to nonexistant if hes not on top.
It's hard to lock in a RNC with gloves on, plus Jon Fitch's submission defense is top notch. Maia is very legit without the gi. Phone Post
2/6/13 1:35 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaemonDragon -
Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Im warming up to a gsp vs maia fight. Gsp would sub him with his superior bjj imo.

Ah Ok. Nevermind my earlier post then, you got me.
This... Phone Post
2/6/13 1:47 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

So the gloves are to blame?! Ok, then....whats his excuse for having the least dangerous guard of all time? His gi-less mma- grappling is very average and simple to me.
2/6/13 1:47 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

So the gloves are to blame?! Ok, then....whats his excuse for having the least dangerous guard of all time? His gi-less mma- grappling is very average and simple to me.
2/6/13 2:36 AM
knuckleballs

Who the fuck doubts Maia's BJJ? For chris' sakes, you fucking idiots....

Maia has submitted 6 fucking fighters in the UFC!!!! That is not an easy thing to do! On top of that, he completely out grappled one of the best grapplers in all of MMA.
His grappling is so fucking good that the greatest fighter alive wouldn't go to the ground with him, even after he smashed his face in!

2/6/13 6:51 AM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping KOd by CHRIST - Btw....other than a less than prime fitch, a spasmatic stungun and a white belt story...all of which have terrible TDD.... what has maia ever done to garner such respect?

I know you're trolling, but do your homework son:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demian_Maia
2/6/13 7:12 AM
UGCTT_ChubbyFunster
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/06/13 7:13 AM
ghostboner - 
HELWIG - 

Yes, Im aware that "Im mad, bro" and the world's smallest violin is playing just for me. Thanks. Go check out the "Lesnar/Overeem 2!?" thread, more up your speed.

Ive been a big Maia fan from day one. My friends and I would joke that the guy's he was creaming were BJJ black belts and you might actually be better of not being one since he knows all your shit better than you do.

But I really didnt like his tactic of "suckershooting" on Fitch. It spoiled the dynamic of the whole fight and left Fitch totally out of gas for the next 2 rounds.

If you want to shoot immediately, dont initiate a glove touch. Its equally as shitty as sticking your hand out and throwing a punch when the guy responds.

I hate all glove touching period. Its laughable in my opinion to be playing grabass during a live round of a professional fight.

But this gray area really needs to go. I wanted to see this awesome matchup playout on neutral grounds and instead, one deceitful move by Maia set the entire fight on a different course that it didnt return from.

Amazing back control from Maia and defense from Fitch.

I voiced similar disappointment in another thread. Spot on imo. Was also a Maia fan, sad to see it. What all the people harping about the fence grab need to remember is the word "premeditated". Fence grabbing is not necessarily premeditated, Maia's tactic obviously was.

Fitch's fence grabbing was definitely premeditated and not a reaction. Maia didn't do anything wrong anyway in my opinion, Fitch was backing up and ready for Maia to shoot.

Edit: I stole this gif from NDNH's thread, so thanks pal!
2/6/13 10:57 AM
hubris
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ Fitch wrestling fans getting upset by this
2/6/13 5:20 PM
HELWIG
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Im not a Fitch fan. Im a Maia fan.

I made that clear.

I still like Maia. I just hated to see that.

Maia is so good on the ground, that he mentally broke and submitted Gonzaga. An elite HW BJJ black belt who submitted Pe de Pano, one of the best HWs ever in BJJ and the best before Roger emerged as the champion of the world.

Maia also beat Jacare with a windmill back-take from standing.

I was actually shocked to see Maia not able to pass Dan Miller's guard. But his wrestling and striking were enough that he didnt have to engage him in his best area.

2/6/13 5:34 PM
Bucephalus

Edited: 02/06/13 5:33 PM
HELWIG - I just hated to see that.

As this thread has shown, it's a matter of opinion whether or not Maia's actions were unethical. Hence, you hate your own opinion of his actions, not his actual actions.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.