UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> The Rock Battling Backstage Resentment?

2/4/13 5:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sergio88
482 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/04/13 5:42 PM

According to PWTorch.com, despite this WrestleMania season being The Rock’s third, there is still a lot of backstage resentment toward him returning. The feeling among some is that Rock is using his WWE Championship run as a marketing tool for his movie career however, from a business perspective the exposure WWE will get in others mainstream markets through The Rock is invaluable hence why putting the WWE Title on Rock is mutually beneficial.

Furthermore, at the Royal Rumble, there was some resentment toward Rock because some felt he was not in shape for his match against CM Punk and showed clear signs of ring rust as he did not spring off the ropes as much as he use to which has now put pressure on Rock to come back stronger at the upcoming Elimination Chamber pay-per-view. Some wrestlers also have issues with the how muscular Rock returned a look that that they are not allowed to achieve now because of the schedule or how WWE approaches their careers.

In terms of how The Rock deals with the bad atmosphere regarding his return he simply he doesn’t for the most part although he does feel scrutinized and during his Royal Rumble pre-match promo he said ‘How do you like that everyone who doubts me?’ which some have slated as arrogance as it come across as if Rock was telling people ‘Don’t forget that I can do that. Now, you step up and do it.’

Rock reportedly isolates himself backstage because of the way he has been treated and it allows him to attend to other business affairs. However, there are also stories of how Rock offers advise to the younger talent backstage so there is a mixed view on how he interacts away from the ring.

The overall, the consensus among the some talent backstage is that Rock returned not for the wrestlers but for the love of enjoying the live-crowd interaction and having a rich family tradition in the wrestling business with a bond and loyalty to Vince McMahon.

UPDATE:The Rock responded to recent reports that there is resentment backstage with his return, writing on Twitter,”Well said. Great to see so many guys backstage understand that what’s best for business is best for everyone. Especially the fans.”

Read more: http://www.pwmania.com/rock-battling-backstage-resentment#ixzz2JyO0wKG6

2/4/13 6:10 PM
ArtMinaj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's the man and that quote is dead on. 

2/4/13 6:26 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
896 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haters gonna hate.

2/4/13 7:25 PM
Stribo
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have issues with any part time wrestler having the belt, but in their work so far The Rock has definitely worked to put over CM Punk as much as anything else. And in the end the numbers from the PPV and TV ratings are positive, the WWE just have to make sure the rest of the guys are gaining from it all. Phone Post
2/4/13 7:41 PM
Sergio88
482 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The roster should have no problem going in there and winning the title and having a put time schedule, he has always had no problem of putting talent over unlike their VP of talent relations Paul Levesque. Phone Post
2/4/13 7:43 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
896 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sergio88 -  The roster should have no problem going in there and winning the title and having a put time schedule, he has always had no problem of putting talent over unlike their VP of talent relations Paul Levesque. Phone Post

what now bro? lol

2/4/13 8:44 PM
BillyRayChubbs
658 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Rock is now, and will always be one of the guys who should get the belt whenever he wants it...

He is GOOD for business.....

Stone Cold should have that same option....If he ever grew some kneecaps and was able to return...

2/4/13 10:17 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at the "can't achieve the muscular physique"

Seen Ryback lately?
2/4/13 11:22 PM
Edgars3FightLosingstreak
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only problem anyone should have with The Rock being the WWE champion is that I guarantee he doesn't fall under the Wellness Program Umbrella.  That's not to say his physique isn't a product of his strict diet, regimen, and genetics, but he looks better now than he's ever looked.  You can probably count on one hand the guys who have incredible physiques right now:  The Rock, Cena, Orton, and Ryback.  Can you imagine what the WWE Roster of today would look like if this were the era of the Monday Night Wars?  Back then, almost EVERYONE had Cena's physique.  

This whole post is BEEP.  

2/5/13 7:54 AM
RML
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I absolutely hate that a part time guy is champ.. but I can't deny it makes perfect business sense. The Rock gets Vince headlines.

2/5/13 9:51 AM
BigWilliam
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are always malcontents in the locker room that blame their lack of success on someone else 'taking their spot.' The Rock is good for business and he does what is needed. What is wrong with him returning because he loves wrestling, the crowd and feels loyalty to the WWE for the opportunity they gave him. Those sound like great reasons to return.
2/5/13 9:58 AM
dangerboy12
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My problem is that having the Rock around, in the spotlight in the biggest events, doesn't make long term business sense. Short term absolutely, long term no way.

What are they gonna do when Rock calls it quits? They are relying on cameos from guys who wrestled when wrestling was huge. Do you think 10 years from now a John Cena cameo is gonna carry much weight? A brief CM Punk return? Alberto Del Rio saving the day?

The WWE isn't doing what it takes to build stars, and they are relying on rehashing past relevance instead of making their product currently relevant.

That's my problem with the Rock coming back every year. It's like that Christmas store at the mall doing most of their business at one time, except one of these days WWE's Christmas won't come around anymore.
2/5/13 10:09 AM
Sofa King Cool
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edgars3FightLosingstreak -

The only problem anyone should have with The Rock being the WWE champion is that I guarantee he doesn't fall under the Wellness Program Umbrella.  That's not to say his physique isn't a product of his strict diet, regimen, and genetics, but he looks better now than he's ever looked.  You can probably count on one hand the guys who have incredible physiques right now:  The Rock, Cena, Orton, and Ryback.  Can you imagine what the WWE Roster of today would look like if this were the era of the Monday Night Wars?  Back then, almost EVERYONE had Cena's physique.  

This whole post is BEEP.  

Claudio Castignoli is ripped. Phone Post
2/5/13 12:02 PM
disbeliever
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
If the Rock is still a huge star, which he is, it is in WWE's best interest to bring him back over and over. He is entertaining as hell, and for me the biggest thing has been building a common bridge for me and my son to watch WWE now. I watched the Rock 12 years ago, so I enjoy it, and my son enjoys watching the newer wrestlers.

They are doing a decent job of building up that Bo guy I think. I had no idea who he was until he eliminated Wade at the Rumble. Ryback is relatively new but he is now popular as well.

I just don't understand the hate when old wrestlers come back. Its like some fans are spited by the fact that they left or something.
2/5/13 12:31 PM
torubu
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think you guys understand business. Look at it like a retail store sale. You lose on products short term to get people into your store and to like your products. Then, when the sale is over, you hope they come back. Phone Post
2/5/13 6:52 PM
BlackJesus
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haters. They would all do the same thing if they could but they are all dog shit actors. Phone Post
2/6/13 3:33 PM
MyUnclesCreepy
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im ok with the rock guy has been a team player his whole career and never once refused to put someone over

He thanked punk as he pinned him for the belt at RR

He thanked Austin when he pinned him at WM. he doesn't have to one back at all but he does. I can't wait to show my Son the rock Austin feuds and hopes the rock will still be a part of the business when he gets older to show him how awesome the rock is Phone Post
2/6/13 3:33 PM
MyUnclesCreepy
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edit: He doesn't have to come back Phone Post
2/6/13 4:06 PM
UGCTT_OBEY
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i had no problem with rock winning the belt untill cena won the rummble 

im tired of mania rematches if they planed on doing it from the start they should of put it at summerslam and gave us a good mania card

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.