UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Trainer: Pettis driven to be up there with AS

2/5/13 8:33 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Lightweight contender Anthony Pettis was watching UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo fight Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 on television Saturday night when he decided to text UFC president Dana White. Gist of the message was he wanted to drop 10 pounds more, and fight Aldo, for the title.

Pettis is already in line for lightweight title shot vs. the winner of the 4/20 Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez fight on FOX.

Pettis's trainer, Duke Roufus, explains the reasoning.

“What if the guy who wins the Henderson-Melendez fight gets hurt or it’s a close decision, when does [Pettis] fight?” said Roufus.. “He’s been in that situation before. So, he’s a little gun shy about that.

“Besides, he’s coming into the prime of his life. He wants to fight now. He’d fight next week if [the UFC] gives him a body; that’s his attitude. He’d fight three more times this year if you could.”

“He wants to fight Aldo and then fight for the lightweight title. I’m all for it if he wants to do it. I think he matches up great with Aldo.”

“The crazy thing is that in his past few fights, Anthony has been at 25 percent of his potential but he’s been able to finish his opponents early. The guy is on a mission.”

“In his last three fights, he hasn’t had to go into the sauna to make weight. He’s very meticulous about his nutrition as well as his strength and conditioning. Anthony is a very disciplined individual.”

“He has reached that stage of his career and life where he realizes what gets him up are big challenges. I see the hunger in his attitude and performance daily in training, his lifestyle. He wants big things and he wants them now.

“He wants to put himself up there with guys like Anderson Silva, who go out there and win big fights.”

Read entire article...

2/5/13 8:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
swany
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow pettis wants to be a fighter on Anderson Silvas level . That's a great goal that's is possibly shared by every other fighter. I wonder if Any fighter wants to be the second best fighter in the world??
2/5/13 8:55 AM
Batarnaque
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's proven himself. He's hungry. He's ready. He's got a LOT of fans and close to no haters, which is kinda rare; this Aldo fight makes all the sense in the world if he truly cuts 2 pounds for a 155 fight... if anything, make it happen sooner, 6 months is painful!

2/5/13 9:10 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

swany - Wow pettis wants to be a fighter on Anderson Silvas level . That's a great goal that's is possibly shared by every other fighter. I wonder if Any fighter wants to be the second best fighter in the world??
idiot Phone Post
2/5/13 9:12 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really am starting to like pettis, when he first came over from wec I found him to be a bit annoying but lately I'm liking his ambition and attitude towards fighting Phone Post
2/5/13 9:13 AM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what you WANT TO HEAR god damn is Pettis a hell of a man.

Gets me pumped just thinking of the possibilities for this guy.
2/5/13 10:33 AM
Killahbeez79

It's funny that Pettis wants to be the next AS...considering he will have to get through mini Anderson. A test I do not think he can pass...
2/5/13 10:37 AM
shaqitup
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WelshWarrior -  I really am starting to like pettis, when he first came over from wec I found him to be a bit annoying but lately I'm liking his ambition and attitude towards fighting Phone Post

i like him too, apart from the face pubes.

2/5/13 11:15 AM
da Vinci 81
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand Pettis worrying about the lightweight fight being postponed due to injury and making him wait even longer, but I hope he realizes Aldo is becoming one of the most injury prone champions himself... Phone Post
2/5/13 11:19 AM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo Gave Me His Sugar Dick -

Since my homeboy Frankie got ripped off AGAIN, I am behind Pettis all the way. Knock his ass out Pettis, bring that belt home!

Ripped off? Are you serious?

Frankie lost fair and square and I'm his number one fan. Phone Post
2/5/13 9:27 PM
JasonSB

Luigi Vampa -  What does he mean he's been at 25% of his potential? Phone Post

Take it to mean he only needs to use about 25% of his overall skills to win fights. Simple he has the ability to go super saiyan, but hasn't had the need to.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.