UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Couture thanks DFW for making switch easy

2/5/13 2:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture recently announced he had signed a deal with Spike TV to participate in a variety of efforts in the MMA space. Spike is the new home to Bellator MMA; each is owned by the media conglomerate Viacom.

An irate UFC president Dana White said that Couture was no longer welcome at the promotion's events.

In a media call today, Couture discussed the development, and much more. Highlights of the Q&A included:

•Couture is asked about the decision to leave the UFC. Says that he is honored to come home to Spike, because they helped change the landscape for MMA, and helped make it what it is today.

•"This is a chance to create more opportunities for more athletes in mixed martial arts."

•As far as his son Ryan staying with UFC, Randy says his son is his own man, and that it has almost been a burden for him to carry the Couture name. Says he is very excited for son, notes they certainly had some heart to heart conversations about it. Says Ryan was fine with him taking this job.

•Randy doesn't have answer to whether or not he'll be able to corner son. Says it's an athletic commission issue.

•Couture says "In a lot ways, I have to thank Dana White for making this transition easy," citing extra media attention.

•Randy Couture says this deal didn't come together as fast as people think. Took time to decide, especially considering the Zuffa fall out.

2/5/13 2:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bacon19
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big loss I assume. I doubt randy is the sole reason for UFC s success Phone Post
2/5/13 2:54 PM
ZombiedKoreanTurnipHead
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really is incredible how disrespectful Randy has been towards the UFC/Dfw.He'd be nothing without them. Phone Post
2/5/13 2:57 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dana's probably punching nick the tooth in the face right now as we speak

2/5/13 3:02 PM
mose
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy Couture = Big John 2.0.
2/5/13 3:18 PM
crumbs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brilliant move by randy , beg Dana to get on fox, get your face out there, cause lets face it, no one watched The Expendables To see Randy's a acting prowess, You've been retired for some time, people forget easily.

You know bellator is coming to spike, they got that Viacom money, use fox sports to legitimize your tv personality even further. And jump ship, leaving Zuffa behind in your wake.

Will it turn the tide for bellator, probably not, UFC has had such a big head start that it's the NFL and everything else is arena league. Fighters that get on spikes reality shows, are doing it to eventually get to the UFC. Randy is a great addition for spike, but this is hardly concerning for Zuffa, SF signing Fedor/HWGP was 100x more of a threat then a retired fighter signing with bellator. Even if he is a legend.

2/5/13 3:21 PM
MagSlim

Dana made a lot more money off Randy than Randy made off Dana while he was fighting. Now the tables are turned.

So it goes.
2/5/13 3:25 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1751 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These fighters sign one-sided contracts binding themselves to multiple fights and these orgs have the discretion to dump them after one loss.  The only reason Randy made a name for himself with the UFC is because Randy kept winning.  The UFC would have crapped him out years ago otherwise like every other unlucky fighter who signs these silly contracts.  The man owes nothing to anybody, it's just a matter of whether or not he'll be better off in the long run burning the UFC bridge.

2/5/13 3:25 PM
cheesesteak
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of an off topic question. But does Randy now have no rights to ever use any of his UFC fight footage for anything? I would think probably not..
2/5/13 3:26 PM
demcat
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've gone from randy fan #1 to not being able to stand him. I've always seen him be an asshole to people, but always forgave him. Now I'm starting to believe all the rumors. That he's not a good guy at all. Phone Post
2/5/13 3:29 PM
Archangel

Lol at the ufc zombies. Randy is about mma always has been always will. UFC is about UFC and nothing else.
2/5/13 3:32 PM
uniquetechnique
629 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy said that Randy was a dick once you get to know him better, I have only met the guy about 6 times but I know people that USED to work for Randy and Let's say, all 4 of them no longer work for him.
2/5/13 3:32 PM
MountainMedic
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany -

These fighters sign one-sided contracts binding themselves to multiple fights and these orgs have the discretion to dump them after one loss.  The only reason Randy made a name for himself with the UFC is because Randy kept winning.  The UFC would have crapped him out years ago otherwise like every other unlucky fighter who signs these silly contracts.  The man owes nothing to anybody, it's just a matter of whether or not he'll be better off in the long run burning the UFC bridge.

Yup Phone Post
2/5/13 3:36 PM
uniquetechnique
629 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Gallagher - 
uniquetechnique - Randy said that Randy was a dick once you get to know him better, I have only met the guy about 6 times but I know people that USED to work for Randy and Let's say, all 4 of them no longer work for him.
Best post ever Phone Post

BUwhahahahaah. I'm gonna leave it like that too. Brain fart I guess. VTFU for the find.
2/5/13 3:42 PM
Son of Neckbone
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigBrettBrady - not sure why you are all siding with dana/ufc on this one. Sure Randy may have pulled some stuff in the past but dana white is vindictive and petty, He will threaten and try and ruin your life over the smallest percieved insult. How many fighters have been kicked for almost nothing? how many fighters seem to loath the guy. tons and tons of fighters because dana white treats business as his own personal vendetta system. When you have acted like a tyrant for so long dont be surprised when it comes back around. I wouldnt be able to stand working or being around someone like that. Also the ufc`s business tactic have always been ruthless and yet dana cries when alittle comes his way. I really dont know how you can all think the way you do unless your zuffabots!

I always find it interesting when someone lurks for 5+ years, and then finally gets riled up enough to take the plunge.

Good first post and agreed. The Karmic wheel goes round and round.
2/5/13 3:49 PM
Lulz McGee
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm gonna be pissed if not a single reporter asks him on his thoughts on the Nam/Alvarez situations. Phone Post
2/5/13 3:55 PM
tempus

uniquetechnique - 
Frank Gallagher - 
uniquetechnique - Randy said that Randy was a dick once you get to know him better, I have only met the guy about 6 times but I know people that USED to work for Randy and Let's say, all 4 of them no longer work for him.

BUwhahahahaah. I'm gonna leave it like that too. Brain fart I guess. VTFU for the find.

You voted him up for noticing something that was near impossible to miss? O_o

I'm starting to doubt that your original typo was JUST a "brain fart" ....
2/5/13 3:55 PM
iamjohnny

2JupitersTooMany - 

This.
2/5/13 4:07 PM
UGCTT croy_00
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really? Dana is letting business get in the way of friendship? Why can't he be happy for the guy. Fact is, after you retire you have to do something. Randy is going to help bring up new stars, which in turn means the UFC will only get better talent, and more exposure. I'm happy for the guy, wish business didn't have to get in the way of two of MMA's biggest pioneers.
2/5/13 4:07 PM
Pompei
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that the UFC is all about the UFC (despite that I still love it), although Randy should have talked it out with Dana once he was about to sign. Would have cut a lot of the bitching process out.

Good luck to him, more money for Randy, more MMA coverage... and overall I see this as a good move in general for the sport. The UFC will forget about this soon enough as they have a plethora of legends to lead the way. Phone Post
2/5/13 4:08 PM
Gnarly219
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iamjohnny - 
2JupitersTooMany - 

This.

2x. Dana isn't going to come here and quote how awesome you are for shit talking a guy you've never met on some half stories you read on some forum, so instead of posting garbage, why not use common sense like 2Jupes just posted?

Oh...this is the UG...nevermind.
2/5/13 4:09 PM
uniquetechnique

tempus - 
uniquetechnique - 
Frank Gallagher - 

You voted him up for noticing something that was near impossible to miss? O_o

I'm starting to doubt that your original typo was JUST a "brain fart" ....

Hey! I know what am doing I. So off lay me please.
2/5/13 4:11 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1751 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/05/13 4:13 PM

Just think about how unlikely, in the sport of MMA, it is for a guy to have a long and successful career.  The odds are against him from the beginning because he isn't guaranteed a chance to prove himself over the course of five fights.  Even if you're incredibly talented, you get a bad matchup or have a bad night and your whole career changes.  Randy is one of the few who became an Icon against all odds, and he can thank Randy for that because the system surely isn't designed to promote 20-year careers in fighting.  He might be a huge asshole, but he's earned the right to manage his career however he wants.

2/5/13 4:19 PM
KZTT_W85
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The more these two guys talk about this situation, the more annoying it is Phone Post
2/5/13 4:24 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - 

Not only did he keep winning, when he won, he won in dramatic/legendary underdog fashion. I dont know what was dealth with between Zuffa and Randy, nor do I care. Zuffa and MMA should not be completely synomous. Fighters are individuals and its great for Randy that there is life after the UFC. Its not healthy for Zuffa to control all the marbles in the sport from beginning to end. Other options keep it healthy.

I dont really have anything negative to say about Zuffa here but they should just let Randy be. They owe him just as much as Randy owes them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.