UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar refinishing

2/5/13 9:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GayGuard MooSaucy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys!

I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys about getting into guitar painting.

My background:
I have zero musical ability but I worship the electric guitar shape and sound, lol.
I grew up with a paint gun in my hand in the body shops my dad managed and then owned.
I'm currently painting bicycles - requires EXTREME detail.
I have some experience working with wood and refinishing furniture.
While I'm no artist - craftsman, yes - I have access to a very, very good airbrush guy for the crazier stuff.

I would really, really like to ad guitar painting to my business.
Is there much demand for it?
2/6/13 2:23 AM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool,

I am currently custom painting furniture and used to paint/prep for Ayotte Drums and Larrivee Guitars.

The tough part would be color matching to match original finishes.If you know how to do that AND airbrush/polish/wetsand/buff,you might do well in a high volume location.You would probably do much better in the long run if you could provide repairs and set up guitars,on the side.

All that aside,an adjustable low volume/high pressure spray system is a must.Knowledge w/ polyester/polyurethane basecoats,topcoats and high-gloss wetsanding and buffing will go far.Lots of fun.
2/6/13 5:32 PM
GayGuard MooSaucy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MagicSam (love the name) -
thanks for info.
the base/topcoats,lvhp, wetsanding and buffing are all very standard in the auto world.....i've been doing those since childhood, lol.

i should have no issue color matching - i have a good eye, some great resources and some hi-tech gizmos to get the color right.

What do you mean by high volume location?

What type of repairs?

What do you mean by set up guitars?

Thanks for the response....I'd love to hear more about what you did at Larrivee and the intricacies of painting a guitar......
2/7/13 12:42 AM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best way to spray high end top coat is w/ a gun/system that allows adjustable air and volume,hopefully in a nice booth.Do you have an adjustable spray system/pump gun for final topcoats?At Ayotte and Larrivee,we always sprayed at a low volume thru high pressure air ratio.The less orange peel effect,the better,as you probably know.

At Larrivee,we used high production,pre-catylized gel basecoats baked in ultra violet ovens,sanded back then re-sprayed polyester basecoats.Top-coated the guitars with high-gloss laquer,dry-sanded then buffed.

One quick question.I have an old beach cruiser that needs re-painting,What product/process should I follow to top-coat the original paint,prep,etc.?
2/7/13 7:28 AM
surfing
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Magic:

Only have a minute so I'll give you the quick run down and if I miss anything I'll clean it up later:

I like to start with bare metal - use a gel type aircraft stripper - home depot sells some. put it on thick and let it sit for 20-30". wash it off with water as water deactivates it. repeat as needed.

self etching primer next - can be bought in aersol from an auto body supplier.

maybe a higher build primer over it - aerosol here too. wet sand.

paint - aerosol colors from home depot are very, very tough these days....great to use if you don't have the equipment like you did for guitars. i don't use them but i'm going for show quality.....otherwise they really hold up
if you can use a gun and booth: after the self etch primer and the higher build primer treat like a guitar.....
2/7/13 11:38 PM
Majic Sam

Surfing,

Thanks for the info.I forgot to mention,just want to clear coat over my original paint.

Wash w/ laquer thinner first to avoid contamination,then lightly scuff with what grit?

What product(s) from there,and how to spray,etc?
2/8/13 12:14 AM
Majic Sam

GGMS,

Sorry,was a bit medicated on my last post to you.Glad to be speaking the same language.Just meant that you would probably get alot of work by setting up and repairing guitars,then the custom painting,etc.

Do you have any advice for clear coating over the old paint on the bike?
2/8/13 2:12 PM
surfing
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if the current paint is in good condition and all you want to do is clear it:

sand everything with 400 or 600 grit wet/dry sand paper. regular sandpaper will hold ok but you'll use more of it.
skip the joint areas and the nooks and crannies - use a grey scotch brite pad and ajax/comet - no kidding - coarser scratches but the areas are so small you won't notice them.
the idea is to have zero shiney spots.

soak a rag in laquer thinner then wring it out. wipe the frame down one tube at a time and wipe behind the thinner with a dry rag - too much thinner and it might make the existing paint soft and blemish it.

shoot 3 or 4 coats of the clear. allow 10-15" between each.....you know the deal here.
2/8/13 5:42 PM
surfing

BTW:
I'm also GGMS.
Not a troll account; came up with the name and thought it was funny and wanted to change surfing to it. Couldn't change it so created a new account.
Started using it. Don't post a ton. depending on which computer I login with i'm either surfing or GGMS.

Sorry for the confusion.
3/11/13 12:24 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to paint guitars, are you interested in using old style materials and deeply researching doing authentic reproduction/restoration? Because that's likely where the real $$ is in guitar painting. I have someone to do non- vintage style pearls,metallics and graphic finishes, but she doesn't shoot nitro cellulose or have much interest in doing sunbursts,Fender Mary Kay see thru white,Gibson TV,etc.

If you want to be able to repair finishes on old instruments, there's no substituting modern materials. It would decimate any value accrued by age.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.