UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roufus: Aldo tougher fight than Benson

2/6/13 12:43 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

With the ink still wet on his contract, the Duke Roufus-trained fighter appeared on Tuesday's (Feb. 5, 2013) edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV, opening up on a number of topics regarding the match up with Aldo, starting with why he expressed interest in the fight in the first place when he already had a title shot at 155-pounds secured.

His words:

"He's good where I'm good -- he likes to stand, trade and bang, and I feel like I'm more well-rounded and can offer him a big challenge.... Aldo is a tougher fight [than Ben Henderson] ... that's why I asked for it. He's going through opponents like crazy. He just beat the last 155-pound champion. I think, for me, Aldo is definitely the tougher challenge. I already beat Ben Henderson once and I think I'm going to be doing it again soon. But, I think Aldo is the guy who is on the radar."

The August 3rd bout will be Pettis' first trip down to 145-pounds, but the No. 1 lightweight contender (behind Melendez) doesn't see the additional 10-pound weight cut as an issue, and claims the only reason he has never considered it before is because his good friend and teammate Erik Koch competes as a featherweight.

"It's been something I've been thinking about for awhile now. I can make the weight easily. The reason why I haven't done it before was Erik Koch -- he's a teammate of mine who was right up there for a title shot, so, I don't want to cross paths with him so I pushed that back a little bit. But, after being at the fights, I thought it was the right idea to call out Aldo -- he's at the top of the division and he's probably one of the best guys in the 145 to 155 pounds range. So, or me, it was just wanting to fight the best. It's been awhile since [I last weighed 145 pounds]. Getting down to 155 was kind of hard for me until I got on a clean diet. It's becoming a lot easier -- my last fight I went into the hot tub for two minute and made weight."

read entire article...

2/6/13 12:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hikikomori
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chill son. It's one thing to be confident but he barely beat Bendo. I'm a Pettis fan but I don't know how well his sniper like striking will do against Jose. Jose may win on points due to volume of strikes landed/thrown. Phone Post
2/6/13 1:04 AM
YonYones
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see anyone doing as well against Aldo right now as Pettis. Really excited for this fight, definitely think they could've booked it a little earlier than august though
2/6/13 1:15 AM
vaginal tear
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

False duke. Aldo will not mix wrestling w striking leaving Pettis able to open his standup more. Phone Post
2/6/13 1:26 AM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This will definitely be the hardest challenge for Aldo at either 145 or 155.

And I agree with Pettis - Aldo is a tougher opponent for him than Bendo.

Aldo would be a betting favorite over Bendo. I think we all know that. Aldo is simply a better fighter than Bendo - and I'm not talking P4P, I'm talking in absolute terms.
2/6/13 1:27 AM
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" my last fight I went into the hot tub for two minute and made weight."

Calling bullshit on that. He looks fairly drawn out at weigh ins to the point that you can tell that he cuts more than the reported "2 pounds".

Good luck to him though, i hope he wins.
2/6/13 3:10 AM
Carl Sonnen

I disagree. Benson is huge and a good wrestler who changes gears and levels constantly and fluidly. Aldo is the easier fight for Pettis.
2/6/13 3:30 AM
Rhys91
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both guys are tough in different ways. Phone Post
2/6/13 3:38 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - 
Rhys91 -  Both guys are tough in different ways. Phone Post

13er with the post of the thread so far.

Say it ain't so, Joe.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.