UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN: Couture had signed non-disclosure agreement

2/6/13 1:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to this article, Randy was contractually obligated not to reveal Bellator had a deal on the table. Not only that, but Randy Couture had repeatedly asked Zuffa to get him a serious gig, but they never hooked him up: http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8919372/for-spike-tv-randy-couture-no-going-back-ufc-partnership

"Couture said since retiring from competition after a loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 129 in April 2011, he and his attorney, Sam Spira, attempted to create "significant" projects with Zuffa...

As talks between Couture and Spike TV took shape in the fall, Couture, who was party to a non-disclosure agreement, "gave [Zuffa] every opportunity we could to make them understand without disclosing what we couldn't disclose that things were heating up for me, and if they wanted to keep me it was going to take something significant."

2/6/13 1:43 AM
slamming
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did he actually honor the remainder of his Zuffa contract?
2/6/13 1:48 AM
daba

So Zuffa had plenty of time to get Randy some work but didn't. Don't see how they can be mad at all. Is the guy suppose to turn down jobs in favor of non-existent offers from the UFC? Phone Post
2/6/13 1:50 AM
butcher4
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming - Did he actually honor the remainder of his Zuffa contract?

He was required to give 30 days notice if he wanted out of his contract, he gave notice and Zuffa didn't offer him anything to convince him to stay.
2/6/13 3:07 AM
Carl Sonnen

If that is true, then Dana has no real right to cry foul. On some level, however, it is a knife in the back to Zuffa that Couture, in specific, chose to do business with a direct rival to UFC, one that had just spent the last year counterprogramming the UFC's PPVs with Spike programming. So, while Randy is right that Zuffa has no legal right to complain, Randy has to accept the fact that Zuffa no longer want to associate with him. Sad, but it is pretty cut and dried at this point.
2/6/13 3:36 AM
tomp6581
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is just pissed off because another company has took the initiative and are trying to give the fans something good, high profile and that is non-UFC.

Dana hates competition. He can't stand it when fans like another product, and Couture moving over legitimises this new show. Good for us fans. Phone Post
2/6/13 4:18 AM
Drugs_Delaney
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

butcher4 - 
slamming - Did he actually honor the remainder of his Zuffa contract?

He was required to give 30 days notice if he wanted out of his contract, he gave notice and Zuffa didn't offer him anything to convince him to stay.

shush. randy is a horrible human that should have remained unemployed to show loyalty to zuffa.

signed-

_____ _
2/6/13 4:21 AM
Drugs_Delaney
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

/sarcasm BTW
2/6/13 4:26 AM
dfw jr
1479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I saw gross wrote the story I said I can't wait to read this BS. That was actually a fair piece. Phone Post
2/6/13 4:29 AM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dfw jr - When I saw gross wrote the story I said I can't wait to read this BS. That was actually a fair piece. Phone Post
! Phone Post
2/6/13 4:33 AM
Res ispa loquitur
593 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dfw jr -  When I saw gross wrote the story I said I can't wait to read this BS. That was actually a fair piece. Phone Post

2/6/13 4:48 AM
Zomby

Randy has been very professional in the way he is handling this.

If the UFC didn't offer him employment after his retirement then Dana has absolutely no right to complain.
2/6/13 4:50 AM
Macedawgg
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dfw jr -  When I saw gross wrote the story I said I can't wait to read this BS. That was actually a fair piece. Phone Post

Another mended fence?

Gross is going to be credentialed and welcomed at UFC events?

2/6/13 4:57 AM
Delightone
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So almost every big name fighter is leaving Xtreme couture.
And he is gonna rescue other mma gyms??????
Why not start with XTREME couture and save it from goung under Phone Post
2/6/13 5:00 AM
Argo

As someone who deals in business deals like this ... it's pretty evident what happened.

Randy gave 30 days notice but also ditched the last FOX appearance occurring within those 30 days. Therefore Dana gets really pissed off while Randy claims his did things above board.

Other clues are fun as well. Dana claimed he gave Randy work ( a friggin high profile spot on FOX TV) because Randy and his lawyers begged for a job. Well Randy above admits he did just that in the above quotes. Used "lawyer speak" above but it means the same thing.

So Zuffa gets a high pay job for Randy when he needed it. Then Randy uses that high profile job to even get a job with Viacom. Then he stiffs the UFC for the last FOX appearance.

And now fans dump on the UFC for they handled it? Riiight.
2/6/13 5:05 AM
Eric Bloodaxe
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both parties could cancel the contract with 30 days notice? Would love to hear why you think this is such a betrayal on Coutures part, Dana?

The UFC cancels contracts with fighters that don't perform to sign a better deal (for the company) with someone else. Couture, I guess, cancelled his contract with the UFC to sign a better deal (for himself) with someone else.

Honest question, I haven't followed this situation in great detail.

2/6/13 5:05 AM
Jons Forsberg

"So Zuffa gets a high pay job for Randy when he needed it. Then Randy uses that high profile job to even get a job with Viacom. Then he stiffs the UFC for the last FOX appearance."

business as usual. none of these people are doing anybody any favors, don't kid yourself.
2/6/13 5:10 AM
time traveling 12er
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eric Bloodaxe - 

Both parties could cancel the contract with 30 days notice? Would love to hear why you think this is such a betrayal on Coutures part, Dana?

The UFC cancels contracts with fighters that don't perform to sign a better deal (for the company) with someone else. Couture, I guess, cancelled his contract with the UFC to sign a better deal (for himself) with someone else.

So if it was the UFC that was begging Couture to come in to save their flagging program... then just gave him 30 days notice before their last show... then signed rival Tim Sylvia who they've been secretly negotiating with all along, I suppose you guys would think it's cool too? It's a fair 30 days right? Not disclosure agreement? Lol, yeah right.
2/6/13 6:02 AM
Eric Bloodaxe
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - 
Eric Bloodaxe - 

So if it was the UFC that was begging Couture to come in to save their flagging program... then just gave him 30 days notice before their last show... then signed rival Tim Sylvia who they've been secretly negotiating with all along, I suppose you guys would think it's cool too? It's a fair 30 days right? Not disclosure agreement? Lol, yeah right.

Do I think it would be cool for the UFC to do something well within the contract? ...well, yeah. There's a reason both parties had the opportunity to cancel the deal, if it was meant to be impossible to do so they should have left it out.

The UFC are no less cynical. They'll cut a fighter with fights left on the contract whenever they feel that's the best option for the company. I don't have a problem with that either. It's business. The difference is that those contracts are more lopsided, and while a fighter can't walk out on the UFC - they can cut him.

I can understand that there were some other issues that pissed Dana off (Couture asking for a job etc), but it's pretty hard to be the judge there based on just Dana's side of the story.

2/6/13 6:31 AM
dfw jr
1479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's over, media asked me I told them like I always do. All the other shit is between me and Randy. He knows whats up and we are both probably happier out of each others lives now. I'm over it. Phone Post
2/6/13 6:38 AM
Lord Nitemare
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dfw jr -  It's over, media asked me I told them like I always do. All the other shit is between me and Randy. He knows whats up and we are both probably happier out of each others lives now. I'm over it. Phone Post

What I couldn't really understand is that he practically threw Ryan under the bus...but just to clarify you and Ryan are both cool with one another, right?

2/6/13 6:47 AM
dfw jr

We are cool Phone Post
2/6/13 6:55 AM
OSBtro11

In Phone Post
2/6/13 7:11 AM
ghost842
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana, if Randy would have told you he had a deal on the table with Bellator would the UFC tried to make a deal or is there already to much bad blood?
2/6/13 7:21 AM
UGCTT_Shope
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ghost842 - Dana, if Randy would have told you he had a deal on the table with Bellator would the UFC tried to make a deal or is there already to much bad blood?
Good question. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.