UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen blasts new UFC rankings & MMA media

2/6/13 12:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
913 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I never understood what the fascination is with putting a number next to someone's name. I did this my entire tenure of college with girls I dated and I can assure you it never ended well. First and foremost, when people judge (other) people it's never fair. You got a bunch a media guys who really don't know a ton about the sport and every time you say that they take it as a huge insult but the reality is they don't.

They go into a press conference with one thing, they hear the boss Dana White say something, they change their rankings on the spot so they can get into that big steak dinner the UFC hands out with the press conference. Let's make sure we understand how they came to be."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

2/6/13 12:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Silverball
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They go into a press conference with one thing, they hear the boss Dana White say something, they change their rankings on the spot so they can get into that big steak dinner the UFC hands out with the press conference. Let's make sure we understand how they came to be.

Describes a lot of MMA fans as well, minus the steak dinner. Chael makes a lot of sense when he's not playing the heel.
2/6/13 12:53 PM
IrishMMAFanatic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverball -
They go into a press conference with one thing, they hear the boss Dana White say something, they change their rankings on the spot so they can get into that big steak dinner the UFC hands out with the press conference. Let's make sure we understand how they came to be.

Describes a lot of MMA fans as well, minus the steak dinner. Chael makes a lot of sense when he's not playing the heel.
Chael is a dick he doesn't deserve the shot but he's catapulted MMA in a good direction for that I respect him.. I still now jones will anialate him and he's not in top 5 M/W or LHW but he does his job great which is elevate our sport MMA..... Phone Post
2/6/13 12:54 PM
SupesUp
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They really aren't official rankings, more like official ratings. Rankings are based of factual data like wins and losses. These are opinions which are also based off potential and skill level which is subjective. Phone Post
2/6/13 1:03 PM
Jason
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin

"You got a bunch a media guys who really don't know a ton about the sport and every time you say that they take it as a huge insult but the reality is they don't."

I would say this is true to some extent. But I see plenty of names on the media panel that train BJJ, Muy Thai, and several that also have competed in MMA. Pretty tough to say that those guys don't know the sport.

Are there plenty of media members who really don't know the sport? Sure there are, but I think the number of people they got ensure they have enough people who know what the f they are talking about and know the sport of MMA inside and out.

2/6/13 1:04 PM
Gabesberts

An actual rank system would be too complicated to introduce, and could even make divisions more stale than they already are. While I don't agree with every call made by the UFC, they do make some interesting fights, and that's what most people want to see
2/6/13 1:06 PM
Chomas
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Notice how Chael is not in the lists LOL. Phone Post
2/6/13 1:08 PM
KeithKizer

Nevada SAC, Executive Director

Mr. Sonnen said "entire tenure of college," not "entire 10 years of college"

Kind of a big difference!

2/6/13 1:11 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

Win Phone Post
2/6/13 1:12 PM
Uchi
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer - 

Nice catch. Read through it and didnt even think about it.
2/6/13 1:12 PM
vsc

KeithKizer -

nah only like 6 years Phone Post
2/6/13 1:13 PM
Jason
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
KeithKizer - 

haha, thanks Keith. fixed!

2/6/13 1:14 PM
UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

Haha nice catch Keith Phone Post
2/6/13 1:14 PM
ShaqNoob
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Thanks pipsqueak."

lol
2/6/13 1:22 PM
shaqitup
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason - 

"You got a bunch a media guys who really don't know a ton about the sport and every time you say that they take it as a huge insult but the reality is they don't."

I would say this is true to some extent. But I see plenty of names on the media panel that train BJJ, Muy Thai, and several that also have competed in MMA. Pretty tough to say that those guys don't know the sport.

Are there plenty of media members who really don't know the sport? Sure there are, but I think the number of people they got ensure they have enough people who know what the f they are talking about and know the sport of MMA inside and out.

I don't even think you have to train to know the sport tbh, maybe some more technical aspects, but in terms of top 10 rankings it's not really relevant.

IMO a lot of guys went in trying to make the rankings they thought the UFC would like, and that's why you get gil at #2 and other things they mentioned.

A lot of the media guys may not even be big fans though, you can tell just by hearing some questions that they just do the job and don't really follow the sport very closely.

2/6/13 1:31 PM
Happiness Bunny
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sonnen loves him some steak.

How many times has he brought it up?

I remember he said a few things during the Anderson saga.

Now I want steak.
2/6/13 1:38 PM
EckY
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/06/13 1:38 PM

I expected more from the UFC rankings, they are basically just a popularity contest, for example why on earth is Shane Carwin still ranked?  He hasnt fought in more than a year and a half and he hasn't won a fight in almost 3 years.

On top of Franklin McNeil has a say in the rankings, thats just embarassing.

2/6/13 2:09 PM
Hikikomori

EckY - 

I expected more from the UFC rankings, they are basically just a popularity contest, for example why on earth is Shane Carwin still ranked?  He hasnt fought in more than a year and a half and he hasn't won a fight in almost 3 years.

Have you seen the size of Carwin's hands?

WELL HAVE YOU?!?!
2/6/13 2:13 PM
IrishMMAFanatic

Hikikomori -
EckY - 

Have you seen the size of Carwin's hands?

WELL HAVE YOU?!?!
:) Phone Post
2/6/13 2:14 PM
IrishMMAFanatic

shaqitup -
Jason - 

I don't even think you have to train to know the sport tbh, maybe some more technical aspects, but in terms of top 10 rankings it's not really relevant.

IMO a lot of guys went in trying to make the rankings they thought the UFC would like, and that's why you get gil at #2 and other things they mentioned.

A lot of the media guys may not even be big fans though, you can tell just by hearing some questions that they just do the job and don't really follow the sport very closely.

True words my friend!!! Phone Post
2/6/13 2:21 PM
Aaron Becker

TryhardNobody - I can see why he has that opinion. I believe he has 2 title shots without being #1 contender.

he still would easily be the #1 contender in MW
2/6/13 2:29 PM
IrishMMAFanatic

Aaron Becker -
TryhardNobody - I can see why he has that opinion. I believe he has 2 title shots without being #1 contender.

he still would easily be the #1 contender in MW
Can't pic him making M/W healthily... Big risk to him fight wise and health wise IMO... Phone Post
2/6/13 2:29 PM
Jack Skellington
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael has always hated rankings. He always thought the very idea of rankings is subjective so no matter who is doing them it doesn't matter. Ask 10 mma experest for a top 10 list & you'll get 10 different top 10 lists.

He might be right. *shrugs*

2/6/13 2:30 PM
6ULDV8
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Ariel like a brother from another mother, but Oh My God this one and only Chael P. Sonnen!

2/6/13 2:31 PM
HolyHackZack
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'Sonnen blasts everything, praises himself' should just be stickied at this point. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.